Another Cantina Creation - Djas Puhr bust!!

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by TomSpinaDesigns, Mar 24, 2006.

1. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey all,

I've always loved this guy, just sitting there quietly as Muftak hogs the camera. In particular, I really dug his Outer Limits style and Planet of the Apes clothing.

Here's a shot from the set....
    [​IMG]

Below are pics of my recreation. It's another latex bust with custom glass eyes. The "clothing" was made by me with scraps from my remnants bin (the leather was originally from a thrift store coat.). I'm actually working with someone now who's able to offer nicely patterned and stiched "clothing" to finish off busts like this. More on that soon.

The sculpt was a fun one, helped along greatly with screencaps and photos from the Holiday Special, where his skin color was fleshy (and thus making his features much easier to discern.) His neck also wasn't as jammed up as it is in that ANH set photo above (guess those * dirty apes had tight collars.) so that helped get that right as well.

I may paint one up in that Holiday Special look someday... I also think he'd look great with a "Sixth Finger" style paint job (as the design was clearly inspired by the character from that OL episode.)

If anyone's interested in this guy, please drop me a PM for details.

Enjoy the pics :)

Tom

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. E2K13

E2K13 New Member

You added more of a frown to him and I really like that since the original was a pull over mask and you can see the cut out latex around the eyes, you nicely idealized the eye area to add the better tone of reality. Well, in a matter of speaking. LOL
    At any rate I love it.

3. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Tom,

Your talent continues to amaze and impress me. Fantastic. :thumbsup

4. TomSpinaDesigns

thanks very much guys.

On the mouth, the other refs show a bit more of a turned down mouth... tough to get all the info from one pic.

Oh and look closely at my eyes, they're done up to look like mask cut outs (and I even matched the asymetrical shapes of the original cutouts, which you can see in the chronicles shots of Baker's teams mask tables). I even used a more matted, gray-black in the "human" area, just tough to capture.

I'll post a close up shortly :)

Tom

5. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic work as always Tom. :)

6. TomSpinaDesigns

Even with a light tent, this guy is tough to photograph..

Here's that CU I mentioned, Eddie. Sorry if you dig the more "real" (well, you know what I mean.) look... I really feel like sometimes details like this can really help the "feel" of the bust so I try to work them in where I can. Always a tough call on whether to idealize or not.

[​IMG]

7. Propazoid

Propazoid Well-Known Member

This is deff one of your best bro.

-Zoid

8. E2K13

E2K13 New Member

Nice. The close up definately shows the detail that the further shots lose. The eyelashes really set it off too. I definately think your going to need a full room to display your entire cantina set soon. Especially at the speed your working on all of these you should have the entire Cantina finished by the end of the year.

9. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, that looks fantastic..

10. rileyreplicas

rileyreplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome as always Tom. The attention to detail is second to none. I am REALLY thinking of getting some clay under my fingernails after seeing you knock out such incredible pieces :)

11. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

I never noticed the Planet of the Apes clothing, thanks for pointing that out .

One more speechless creation.

12. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

Amazing Tom. That close up pic is incredible.

Pretty soon you and Richard are going to have a complete Cantina to yourselves. ;)

13. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

thats what i was thinking... but wampa, he means that yours actually looks better. :D

and seriously...

whats the deal brotha?

you CANT be churnin out these awesome pieces this fast.

awesome as always.

when are you gonna do figrin d'an or any cantina band guys?

or have you and i missed it?

and i really want to see a snaggletooth. :D

14. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Excellent work Tom :thumbsup

15. TomSpinaDesigns

Hahaha... got a little while to go on that, but it'd be neat to see, eh? :D

Tom

16. TomSpinaDesigns

Well then you really need to click my sig. :D

I did Snag about 8 years ago. On my "mask and sculpture work" page you'll see snaps of 3 different styles (the two different cantina styles and the Holiday Special/ROTJ look)

Sadly, I no longer have the mold on that one.

Tom

17. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Wow. That's sweet.

You need to slow down some though. :lol I think you've finished about 10 things before I've even got one thing done.

18. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOAH. Not another one.

How can we resist?

19. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Great job, man. You continue to outdo yourself.

20. Coinprop

Coinprop Well-Known Member

Looking great as always Tom.

21. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

Tom, you are a sculpting animal. Freakin' awesome.

Thomas

22. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Superb work again Tom

Bravo.

Cheers

Jez

23. TomSpinaDesigns

Raaarrr, baby.

:lol

Thanks very much guys. I'm pretty sure this one could be done as a wearable mask as well (assuming you don't have a watermellon for a head, of course. Would be pretty cool to wear to the store :D

(Ok, Ok, or a SW con... sheesh. ;) )

Tom

24. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

i figured it out...

wampa is really GL

and every week he takes something outa the archive and is like look what i wipped up.

hes doing it to discourage you all...

LOL...

JK (of course)

you guys really arent that far of from the cantina... no need to stop now...

has anyone ever done a lifesize praying mantis like the one that is far behind chewie when ben first meets him?

i know thats more of a full static back ground prop, but maybe you could make the neck/head, and idealize it to not look like the crap the prop did up close.

i spotted that guy when i was young, and thought i was so cool for noticing it.

blah blah... yeah, keep em coming wampa, oh and maybe make a bad sculpt every once in a while, you are murder on others morale. LOL...

nah, even the best guys here love seein your stuff.

:thumbsup :thumbsup WAY up.

25. matic

matic New Member

Wonderful work, not that Im surprised, your attention to detail is very much appreciated. The flesh texture alone is amazingly likelife.
    The sculpt looks a bit like Robin Williams to me, or perhaps Im nuts hahahah.
    It would be such an event if all the cantina aliens were put together in one room.

26. TomSpinaDesigns

Thanks, matic,

The flesh on this one was mostly just texture stamps and sponges (with some tool work). The original wasn't overly textured and I didn't wanna overdo it.

Oh and oldken... :lol on the GL stuff.

Aaaaand... guess what? Richie did a praying mantis for someone a while back. LOL

http://members.aol.com/riverratriley/kitik/k.jpg

:D
    Tom

27. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks fantastic Tom, as always. :)

28. yodaman

yodaman Sr Member

Wow. Great work T :)

29. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

shoulda known...

thats pretty sweet.

:D

30. deralis

deralis Well-Known Member

Geez Who havent you done..

Amazing likeness, I never tire of looking at you Incredible work....

31. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Another feather in your cap, Tom. Outstanding work.

Two thumbs way up.. :thumbsup :thumbsup

The Wook

32. TomSpinaDesigns

thanks very much..

Glad so many people here dig this guy. :D

Tom

33. billy1974

billy1974 Well-Known Member

Amazing work as always Tom :thumbsup . Bill

34. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What a TRIP. I missed this thread somehow. I just found it and its kind of ironic. My buddy Todd wrote a fan film right around the time of the release of Phantom Menace and we'll be putting it together and filming it this summer. I was given the part of his Sith character that happens to be part Sakiyan. I am just using my own bald head, without the bulbous look and getting contacts for a more sith eye appearance. The character is blind but I dont think I will do white blind eyes. I think it might be more menacing looking with pupils. I just cant decide if I want them white with pupils or red and yellow maul style or just yellow emperor ROTJ style. He is alien so they could be different but I havent really decided. I am going to do some foam ears and the talented propsculptor among us is making me some teeth.
    I wonder if I could get you guys to give me some input on what you think the costume should consist of. There are two scenes for the character total. The first is the intro to the film where he is in a prison cell and is shirtless for whatever reason. I have to come up with the garments below the waist and shoes. For the latter part of the film he appears planetside in a full armored outfit. I was thinking something somewhat like a long coat/cloak with a body armor vest that could look really sculpted and menacing. I am highly hopeful of doing a hyperdyne lightsaber blade for it and a custom machined hilt.

GREAT work on this sculpture. I think the eyes give me more confidence that the sith look will work for this species. Its subtle here but still effective.

Josh