Another 1989 cowl created from a 3D scan (licensed)

drftfan

Sr Member
This new cowl coming out by PureArts is created from a 3D scan. Judging by the images they have showed they took some liberties with the clean up. It is pretty symmetrical. The original cowl they scanned was in rough condition but of course saying it was scanned from an original adds legitimacy to the product offering. Unlike the Denuo version, this will not be wearable. It is made from some sort of hard poly vinyl product from what they were saying in the intro video they posted.
1655141543480.png

1655141327264.png

It's not the worst looking thing in the world. A leap above the HCG, but right below the Deunu Anovos prototype.

I'm more interested in the batarang. It's the most accurate licensed. They actually cut the lines into it, and it has the cuts for the folds.

013_e225e741-cdec-41ad-9da5-be7901bb63e8_2048x2048.jpg
014_d850f56b-342f-44fe-b761-695a9ac4701b_2048x2048.jpg
015_4e9b508d-da78-4619-8175-9c8eaf18832a_2048x2048.jpg

The texture on the batarang is weird though (a bit overdone since the screen used props are all in pretty rough condition nowadays maybe the one they used as reference went through several repaints). But yeah the sculpt is nice and I like the subtle weathering they went with.
Now the cowl, they cleaned the scans with a pretty heavy hand to the point that any lineage claim is probably meaningless. To my eye and based on these picture it doesn’t read as well as the Denuo Novo cowl (which also has its fair share of issues tbh). It feels like a weird hybrid of 1989 with a dash of Returns in the cleaner, thiner lines, brow and ears. They also missed the asymmetric scallops which is too bad.
But the stand is awesome and would make for a cool piece on its own and there is no denying that the batarang is an excellent add-on.
I would still give the edge to Denuo Novo in the field of ‘89 licensed cowls, simply because it’s wearable and appears more accurate right now but there’s no denying it’s a pretty good cowl and it’s amazing to see Batman 89 getting more love these days between this one, Denuo Novo’s, the Neca stuff and probably others I’m missing.

Last edited:
The more I look at this Purearts cowl, the more I’m questioning about the texture. Did they push the effect too far like the Batarang?
It is over textured everywhere on the face and the cowl seems made in the same material than the cape. Looks like a leather cowl on certains angles.

93tz.png

b375.png

I mean we lost the rubber effect IMO.
Maybe they scanned an old and damaged prop which maybe explain that?

On the original prop, the shoulders and collar are textured but the nose, face and top not so much.

g73o.jpg

ql37.jpg

jkn2.jpg

jvcv.jpg

3inm.jpg

Yeah maybe if it’s not based on a 3D scan, the Denuo novo is maybe the closest of the real prop.

m2ly.jpg

Anyway, the Purearts is still a beautiful cowl. Very expensive but cool.

Last edited:
Maybe they scanned an old and damaged prop which maybe explain that?

Yeah maybe if it’s not based on a 3D scan, the Denuo novo is maybe what is closer of the real prop.
Drftfan posted a photo of the old damaged cowl in the first post and you can see it on their website.

Also they both were scanned from two different cowls. This one and Deunu Anovos.

To my eye and based on these picture it doesn’t read as well as the Denuo Novo cowl (which also has its fair share of issues tbh). It feels like a weird hybrid of 1989 with a dash of Returns in the cleaner, thiner lines, brow and ears.
It is particularly striking on this angle.

Makes me think a lot to the Returns cowl

6l9a.jpg

It is particularly striking on this angle.

93tz.png

Makes me think a lot to the Returns cowl

View attachment 1587198
Excellent illustration of what I was thinking. And the photos from the side are even more telling with the hard edge going from the tip of the ear to the side of the eye.
Also and I noticed this later on but the bottom of the wings of the batlogo on the PureArts cowl is a touch too thick. Kudos to them for making it removable though.

Is anyone planning to get this from the PureArts site?

I want the Batarang but don't want to fork out $800+ for it and the cowl. But I'd be willing to offset someone's cowl by $100-150 for the Batarang.

Also, I signed up for the website and if you refer someone to sign up and buy something we both get a $50 off coupon.

Any takers?

Personally no. I can’t deny it’s a beautiful cowl but can’t read enough 89 and it’s outrageously expensive IMO.
I’ll stick with my HCG even it’s not accurate in terms of texture and finish, the sculpt sweats enough 89 for me.

If you’re more interested in the Batarang than the cowl, I advise you to contact Stacey props on Etsy.
He used to make the most accurate Batarang of the world with exactly the same opening cinematic than the original prop.

Mine next to the Neca.

tlas.jpg

9yna.jpg

1kst.jpg

For reference, the belt is from him too.

the batarang that comes with the cowl is a train wreck. Literally the only thing it has going for it is they got the grooves right, instead of ribs. The overall shape is wrong, it's missing the side tips on the blades, dunno wtf is up with that texture, and the "fold" lines are incorrect, the shape of the blades is wrong, etc. But yeah they got the grooves right. lol.

Such a beautiful, hard sculpt to get right. I guess like most of the analog stuff from this era.
Based on these pics, the Denuo Novo looks closer though. Not perfect but closer.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back