Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - SHE'S DONE!!!!!

To me, something like this is a fine wine. It has to age to be appreciated. Don't just sell it right now, enjoy it for awhile (which I am glad the customer is doing).

Nice color choice. Maybe not the "accurate" color (I know, overused term in regards to Trek subjects), but I agree with your reasoning as the presentation looks great. Camo gray has always been a nice color for spaceship models. I think it hit the right look here because of the model's size and how the light plays across it.

To me, something like this is a fine wine. It has to age to be appreciated. Don't just sell it right now, enjoy it for awhile (which I am glad the customer is doing).

Nice color choice. Maybe not the "accurate" color (I know, overused term in regards to Trek subjects), but I agree with your reasoning as the presentation looks great. Camo gray has always been a nice color for spaceship models. I think it hit the right look here because of the model's size and how the light plays across it.

Thanks Jay,
I couldn't agree more! I think the more he looked at it, the harder it became to part with it. So glad it can be seen by people(as soon as he hangs it!) I really wanted this to be a showcase piece for prospective clients, showing what I can do with a worst case scenario. It helps if people can see it in person.

I found the word "accurate" to be the bain of us ST scale modelers;) something can be built to screen specs, but if it doesn't feel right, it's not believable. Sometimes I don't think that's taken into consideration when choosing colors, or lighting & models can wind up looking cold & sterile.

I believe that our best projects aren't the ones that go smoothly, but the ones where we have to overcome tremendous challenges to get anywhere near where we want it to be.

Awesome work on this, OD!! And yeah: accurate can be a bit of a subjective term. it largely depends upon what we want to be accurate to. I think as long as we are accurate to what is in our imaginations, we will always be on track with our projects. After all, that is where the Starship Enterprise truly lives, as well as all our favorite ships and characters.

I believe that our best projects aren't the ones that go smoothly, but the ones where we have to overcome tremendous challenges to get anywhere near where we want it to be.

Awesome work on this, OD!! And yeah: accurate can be a bit of a subjective term. it largely depends upon what we want to be accurate to. I think as long as we are accurate to what is in our imaginations, we will always be on track with our projects. After all, that is where the Starship Enterprise truly lives, as well as all our favorite ships and characters.

Thanks pengbuzz,
very well said, it's those challenges that force us to come up with new innovations, methods, & beliefs. Facing those challenges is what gives us the ability to fight complacency & the willingness to settle. This is important for us all to realize, as it is something that affects many areas of our lives & will give us the strength to face our challenges in the days come.

I must say really GREAT WORK with a sh#t kit. I know all to well first hand with one. I was so put out by mine I gave the thing away.

The master was made of foam and then covered in paper mache LOL.

I had made a shuttle for it but never sent it to him who cant be named. LOL

You have really put a lot of blood,sweat and tears into that hit to make it look that good....

He used cheap auto fiberglass kits got at Autoshack. Like to never got the smell out of the house after I opened it..

I must say really GREAT WORK with a sh#t kit. I know all to well first hand with one. I was so put out by mine I gave the thing away.

The master was made of foam and then covered in paper mache LOL.

I had made a shuttle for it but never sent it to him who cant be named. LOL

You have really put a lot of blood,sweat and tears into that hit to make it look that good....

He used cheap auto fiberglass kits got at Autoshack. Like to never got the smell out of the house after I opened it..

Thanks Mustang, If this hadn't been a client build, I would have smashed it out of frustration long ago. You were better off giving it away.

That's funny, in my first post I called out the paper-mache. Panel lines aren't supposed to be 1/16" tall & a 1/2" wide. Warp nacelles were a bit more doomsday machine than nacelle. The foam structure explains that.

That shuttle probably would have out shined the rest of the kit. Better you didn't send it

Yes quite literally all three, I sent pieces of myself along with that model.

I knew there was no way he used west systems epoxy. I'm pretty familiar with it & have never had it turn out like that. The entire surface was sticky & uncured.

I'm sure there's a buyer beware message somewhere in here for all of us.
Thanks for checking it out!

Brett, thank you for your kind regards today... and in part, I am responding publicly as it seems that there are others that understand my angst regarding this kit and he whom shall not be named. I am not hopeful to ever receive my kit... but from what I know of it, I can live without it.

What you've done is certainly something... and I also hope your Big E will be on public display someday. I would love to see it in person.

- Ken

Foster Fitness in Portland? Is this beasty available for viewing there?

I'm actually not sure if he's flown it yet. Been sick & out of commission for a few weeks. I'll talk with him tomorrow & post. As soon as it is up in the air he'll be more than happy to show it off!

Also, I live right around the corner & would be glad to swing by & talk about the build.

She's in the air!
Just found out from my client the ship has been flown!
For all PDX locals, if you want to see it.
Foster Fitness
5623 Southeast Center Street Portland, OR
PM me in advance & I'm more than glad to come down & talk about the build.

Nice job on the kit! Looks great in person. The owner did not have it lit yet when I stopped by today, but he did show me a few more large models he planned on hanging in there.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back