Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - SHE'S DONE!!!!!

Re: Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - Beginning of the End!

thanks for the reply on this,
the problem im running into is on the back, no matter what i try to do i can't get it reasonably level, it looks great on camera but i dont care for how it looks standing 3 feet away, maybe im being no anal?............NAAAAAAAAA :LOL

what is the difference in the dental vrs nail acrylic?

The back will never be level, unless you fill it again & sand. Way too much work for diffused Windows. Also the section your working on must be as level as possible. You can even out your light dispersion using drafting vellum behind the windows. It will diffuse the light & help eliminate the "halo".
It's hard not to be anal when going for detail. The question is how long do you want to spend on it & at what point do you start getting a diminishing return from too much messin'.

Dental acrylics are more pure & less likely to yellow in UV light.

thanks bret, thats a big help (y)thumbsup i was told they were the same acrylic so it seems that info was wrong.

They are the same thing when it comes to the materials & chemicals, so the info wasn't wrong. Anything being used for medical, or industrial will have higher quality control standards.

got it, i certainly dont want my windows yellowing in time though, do you have a good source for the dental version?
pmed you for an off topic question....

5lbs :lol:lol your never going to use that much in your lifetime :lol

5lbs :lol:lol your never going to use that much in your lifetime :lol

I couldn't tell how much it really was. The picture made it look smaller. The one bottle looked similar to other droppers that are much smaller. I had no idea how dense and heavy the substance was. The 5lb'er container is about the size of a 2 gal. ice cream bucket although it looked like the same as what the container that Steve had. I'll see what other uses I can make of it, maybe open up a nail shop.

I couldn't tell how much it really was. The picture made it look smaller. The one bottle looked similar to other droppers that are much smaller. I had no idea how dense and heavy the substance was. The 5lb'er container is about the size of a 2 gal. ice cream bucket although it looked like the same as what the container that Steve had. I'll see what other uses I can make of it, maybe open up a nail shop.

:lol thats funny :)

you could always sell me some of yours :)

Back with more FUN!
Got that failed nav light back in. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
After being on hold for about a week, the last parts arrived yesterday & today!
In the interest of time I'll be using off the shelf electronics for the audio & controls. It'd be nice to design a custom system for the build, but I don't have the time right now.
Audio package consists of a 15w PC speaker set, & a Sparkfun 18ch mp3 trigger. I gotta say the mp3 trigger is pretty sweet. 18 tracks & can be triggered with buttons, relays, etc, or as open collector triggers.

Then we have the brain. It's a 12 relay board with IR remote kit. I picked this up through Carl"s electronics Electronic Kits. The kit is CK1615 & about $70 with shipping, well worth it for me.

All of the domes & the new deflector are plastruct domes. purchased through their website. Only thing is they have a $20 min order. Not to bad though, I use enough of their products already, so it's pretty easy to fill out that $20.

Still have to drill a a few holes, 1 in each nacelle for the suspension cable, & 1 for the IR receiver.
Believe me at this point I'm a little apprehensive about going at this thing with a drill again.

Enjoy & I'll be back soon.

IMAG0683.jpg

IMAG0686.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg

IMAG0709.jpg

IMAG0707.jpg

IMAG0720.jpg

IMAG0719.jpg

IMAG0722.jpg

IMAG0721.jpg

This is... so great.... there may be tears. :behave

Thanks Chris, there will be on my end. I kinda wish I could keep'er.

What kind of effects are you planning with all the elctroniccs.

Basic fun stuff,
lights:
running/nav on/off, warp on/off,
sound:
bridge noise, phasers, torpedoes, transporter, warp, red alert.

I'm not done reading thru the thread yet... but had to comment on your fine craftsmanship from what I've seen so far. She's a beauty Brett.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back