Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - SHE'S DONE!!!!!

Re: Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - Beginning of the End!

This IS indeed looking great. I am still trying to figure out how you are going to show off that it has a bridge though. (0_0)

Thanks, bridge probably won't be visible from the ships hanging position. It's just something my client wanted put in. More of a coolness factor.

A couple quick updates!
Legs are on, Gotta love sleek long legs!

Bridge lighting started. I know it looks like a nav console might be missing, I was told it's invisible & can only be seen by those who truly believe. They also told me it was the best looking most expensive nav console I could buy.

IMAG0664.jpg

IMAG0663.jpg

IMAG0662.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0666.jpg

Oh, I thought I'd seen it all... but WOW.:eek

Insanity can work.:cool

Amazing. Should never have guessed it looked like that in the beginning

Awsome skills man !!! Will your client be housing it in a display case?

Thanks 28, It will be hung open air in my clients fitness gym "Foster Fitness" in Portland, OR.

Thanks JL, Aurora, & Szyntax,
Once everything is done I'll do a side by side before & after pic series, to show the whole transformation.

ive said it before and i'll say it again, no one would believe it's the same kit :) (y)thumbsup

Very impressive!

But ... leading edges of the dorsal a bit too dark .. no?

It's looking fantastic. Love the actual bridge being included. Too bad it won't be viewable once hung up.

I knew it.. I just knew it. Getting to the end of this, there just had to be a problem. This is the nightmare that all builders who seal lights into the build have at some point.
So, I pull the liquid mask off the small Nav leds & fire em' up for a test. BAM... led failure! One of the red leds is a no go & that sucker is hard to get to. Thus, I begin a repair. I'll post pics of the soultion later, but for now here is my pic of shame.

IMAG0669.jpg

hey bret, what did you use for your windows?? they look awsome :)

sorry about your troubles....thats a bummer :(
but, it's food for thought for when i get to that point, to plan for some thing like this in the future.

Last edited:

hey bret, what did you use for your windows?? they look awsome :)

sorry about your troubles....thats a bummer :(
but, it's food for thought for when i get to that point, to plan for some thing like this in the future.

I used beauty secrets nail acrylic. Available at sally beauty supply. It works ok, dental acrylic is better. Instead of blue tape, I used R-tape w/rla. It's a high quality transfer tape for vinyl stickers. Any low tack paper tape will work. No scotch or plastic tapes, the acrylic will eat em'. Just make sure the tape you use has a smooth surface. Blue tape will transfer its texture, that's why I don't use it.
If the window isn't flush with the body. I just add a little more acrylic to the front, then flush sand in steps from 220 grit dry to 800 wet.

Some things you just can't plan for, no matter how much fore thought.
It's already fixed, had to drill it out oversized, set the led, back fill with red putty, & touch up paint. Actually went pretty smooth. Will post pics later.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back