Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - SHE'S DONE!!!!!

Re: Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - Pic Heavy Update

yes resin, spincasting is using a cylindrical mold with fluid chambers that radiate from the center like spokes in a wheel. The part portion of the mold sits near the rim. The mold is mounted on a motor driven wheel & centrifugal force draws the fluid through the mold. It's more like injection molding, similar results, but no machine the size of a car.

many moons ago i used to work at a steal foundry, i know what spin casting is :)
i just never thought of doing it with resin :)

Back with more fun! It's finally on to painting.
Decided to paint all of the markings, instead of decals or vinyl. have a pretty decent vinyl cutter & use it for making the masks. So I've started the detail markings on the nacelles & put the first 2 coats of finish primer on the body & saucer.

IMAG0564.jpg

Window masking

IMAG0565.jpg

IMAG0569.jpg

IMAG0568.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

IMAG0574.jpg

Again I'd like to thank steve neill, the concentric rings are his second contribution to this build. THANKS STEVE!

IMAG0570.jpg

IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0572.jpg

IMAG0576.jpg

ALL PAINT, NO DECALS!

IMAG0580.jpg

IMAG0578.jpg

IMAG0577.jpg

Re: Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - Painting Updates

Wow! I am amazed.
When I saw how rough this kit was when it came out, I never thought anyone would be patient enough to build one. You have not only done that but way more. Ron will be proud to see this when it's done!!!

Absolutely amazing under the best of conditions. Considering what you had to work with starting off I would have to say this is a frickin' miracle!!!!

Looks fantastic!!!!

Hi all, sorry it's been so long since an update, or reply. Work has this way of taking over my life. Believe me I'm not happy about it either.

Here we are, this is truly the beginning of the end!

Rigging support cables have been installed. Been wrapped up & torn open like it was friggin" christmas! Removed the window masking. Ready to attach the nacelles, touch it up, & weather. She'll be somewhere between the TOS & restoration jobs. I wan't her to be a little dirty, but not nearly as much as the restoration weathering.
Enjoy the pics, it's been a great journey.
Happy Modeling

IMAG0605.jpg

IMAG0602.jpg

IMAG0601.jpg

IMAG0617.jpg

IMAG0620.jpg

IMAG0619.jpg

IMAG0628.jpg

IMAG0627.jpg

IMAG0625.jpg

IMAG0622.jpg

IMAG0621.jpg

IMAG0630.jpg

IMAG0643.jpg

IMAG0645.jpg

IMAG0641.jpg

IMAG0640.jpg

IMAG0636.jpg

IMAG0635.jpg

IMAG0634.jpg

IMAG0632.jpg

IMAG0644.jpg

IMAG0649.jpg

IMAG0647.jpg

IMAG0648.jpg

Re: Another 1/2 studio scale 1701 TOS - Beginning of the End!

Looks wicked. I bet you never want to mask another model to paint ever though.

Gorgeous! Even in pictures, there's something about the moment the Big E is lit that takes your breath away.

Thanks folks!

That's darned pretty. Nice work!
Thanks, she is beautiful

Looks wicked. I bet you never want to mask another model to paint ever though.
Thanks wes, this masking job was pretty intense. I cheat a little though, have a vinyl cutter & use auto paint mask, so it's a little easier.

Gorgeous! Even in pictures, there's something about the moment the Big E is lit that takes your breath away.
Thanks psion, that's exactly how I feel! Firing up the lights last night was pretty epic for me.

That looks SO pristine I would leave it as is and consider it being before any maiden voyage.

A couple color questions: Was the original deflector housing actually painted with that ring. I haven't decided how I'll do mine. Also, I seem to have read that the part was oiginally painted gold instead of brass. I wonder which is the case.

That looks SO pristine I would leave it as is and consider it being before any maiden voyage.

A couple color questions: Was the original deflector housing actually painted with that ring. I haven't decided how I'll do mine. Also, I seem to have read that the part was oiginally painted gold instead of brass. I wonder which is the case.

Thanks for sure, client want's dirt, he gets dirt.
The inside of the housing is painted copper. Here are a few references I've been using.
http://www.modelermagic.com/wordpre...03/kg_star-trek_tos_1701_studio_model-040.jpg

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/STEnterprise/ent01.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back