Animatronic C-3PO

Electronics - Wire Management

Fabricating custom wiring harnesses and cable adapters for the gearmotors and encoders. There are 8 total, with two different types. They all have integrated 4.7Kohm pull-up resistors hidden under the heatshrink.

C-3PO Wiring Harnesses (1).jpg
C-3PO Wiring Harnesses.jpg

Electronics - Wiring

In the middle of the process of wiring in all the harnesses and adapters. This rats nest will look much better when I’m done. Well, at least somewhat better.

IMG_1898.jpg

Electronics - Limit Switches

Each of the 8 gearmotor axes gets a limit switch that its controller treats as a home position switch. These all have strike plates and cables that run back to the controllers and terminate in 3-pin Dupont connectors with a 4.7Kohm pull-up resistors for the longer ones. Did I mention how much I dislike crimping pins for Dupont connectors?

Animatronic C-3PO Limit Switches (7).jpg
Animatronic C-3PO Limit Switches (6).jpg
Animatronic C-3PO Limit Switches (5).jpg
Animatronic C-3PO Limit Switches (4).jpg
Animatronic C-3PO Limit Switches (3).jpg
Animatronic C-3PO Limit Switches (2).jpg
Animatronic C-3PO Limit Switches (1).jpg
Animatronic C-3PO Limit Switches.jpg

I didn't get to go to Celebration but I had a buddy make sure and send me a video of your threepio. This has to be the fastest build of something of this complexity I have ever seen. Do you have like a ton of animatronics experience already? To throw this together that fast and have it work this well, you have to have been doing this for years right? Do you work for Disney Imagineers or something ??

I didn't get to go to Celebration but I had a buddy make sure and send me a video of your threepio. This has to be the fastest build of something of this complexity I have ever seen. Do you have like a ton of animatronics experience already? To throw this together that fast and have it work this well, you have to have been doing this for years right? Do you work for Disney Imagineers or something ??

Thanks!
All the experience I have, I got from working on personal projects like this.

Chris,
Build looks GREAT!! I got my 3PO's head ordered and will be ordering the rest over several months. Thought about the 3d printing route, but I have both my printers going on other projects...Battle Droid, BB, and then K2SO. Since the wait is about 10months for the 3PO parts, figure this will give me time to get the others closer to being finished or finished. I know you said you probably wouldnt be doing "How To" but are you still looking at doing a BOM for your 3PO? Also did you build the structure before you had the armor printed or had the armor then built the structure? Was thinking of trying to tackle some of the main components of the structure before I got the armor. Thanks!

Wow, this is really fantastic, I love it! I was also going to ask if you have professional experience in mechanical, electrical, or software work. If this is really all hobby-learned, it makes it even more impressive! Where does the project stand now, do you have more work to do before you consider him finished?

Chris,
Build looks GREAT!! I got my 3PO's head ordered and will be ordering the rest over several months. Thought about the 3d printing route, but I have both my printers going on other projects...Battle Droid, BB, and then K2SO. Since the wait is about 10months for the 3PO parts, figure this will give me time to get the others closer to being finished or finished. I know you said you probably wouldnt be doing "How To" but are you still looking at doing a BOM for your 3PO? Also did you build the structure before you had the armor printed or had the armor then built the structure? Was thinking of trying to tackle some of the main components of the structure before I got the armor. Thanks!

Thanks!
I'm slowly working through getting the BOM together. I'm also getting underway on V2 of a few mechanisms, mainly the shoulders, waist, and neck.
I built the mechanism to fit inside the body shells, so it was a parallel process.

Wow, this is really fantastic, I love it! I was also going to ask if you have professional experience in mechanical, electrical, or software work. If this is really all hobby-learned, it makes it even more impressive! Where does the project stand now, do you have more work to do before you consider him finished?

Thanks!
I've been building props, droids, and other mechanical things in an amateur capacity, and software and digital products professionally for over 25 years.
What was shown at Star Wars Celebration Chicago 2019 was V1 of the project. I am getting started on V2 soon (upgraded mechanisms, smoother motion, audio, more performances, etc). Like my other droids and projects, he's never really finished, since working on him is the most fun part, in my opinion.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back