Animatronic C-3PO

I’m also building an animatronic C3PO from Jessie’s files. I’ve been looking at a few different ideas, including the InMoov project, but this is by far the best I’ve seen.

Of course! I've tried to use as many off-the-shelf, easily obtainable parts so others can replicate my efforts. Once I get him working and presentable and we get through Star Wars Celebration Chicago, I plan to sit down and document everything and publish drawings and BOM's for all of the mechanical subsystems, plus the Python code for motion control and show automation and any other relevant details.

Of course! I've tried to use as many off-the-shelf, easily obtainable parts so others can replicate my efforts. Once I get him working and presentable and we get through Star Wars Celebration Chicago, I plan to sit down and document everything and publish drawings and BOM's for all of the mechanical subsystems, plus the Python code for motion control and show automation and any other relevant details.

There's a pretty close to zero chance that I'll ever build one of these, but that is amazingly generous of you. I've really enjoyed watching your work so far!

Wow, that's beyond awesome! Thank you!
Really excited to see it develop and can't wait to see the finished article.

Finishing - Total Painted Surface Area

Did some math today, and found the total outer surface area of a 3D printed C-3PO is 26.273 sq ft. I needed this number to budget for catalytic primer and hydrochroming materials. I was able to glean the data using Autodesk Netfabb, thanks to a tip from Jesse Maricelli.

C-3PO Parts Surface Area.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 8.29.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 8.29.17 PM.png
    443 KB · Views: 251
Display Base - Cover

I had some sheets of 1/2" gray Delrin material so I ripped them into 11" wide planks and trimmed them to fit the aluminum extrusion base frame. The two smaller pieces in the middle are access covers so I can get to the power connectors that will be embedded in the base.

c-3po base cover work 1.jpg

Display Base - Cover

Next it's time to cut some holes. I drafted a generic "Star Wars Floor" perforation pattern, laid out the measurements on the material, and using a cutting jig from my Millennium Falcon Hallway set, cut the holes with a router.

c-3po base cover cut layout.png
c-3po base cover work 2.jpg
c-3po base cover work 3.jpg
c-3po base cover work 4.jpg
c-3po base cover work 5.jpg
c-3po base cover work 6.jpg
c-3po base cover work 7.jpg
c-3po base cover work 8.jpg

Display Base - Cover

I used translucent corrugated plastic sign material for the baffles to cover the holes. These will have strips of RGB LEDs mounted under them to provide dramatic illumination.

c-3po base cover work 9.jpg
c-3po base cover work 10.jpg
c-3po base cover work 11.jpg

Base Cover Lighting

First lighting test. I’m recycling some 12v analog RBG LED strips that I had in the shop. Curiously, most of them have non-working red channels. So, teal it is!

EBCD740B-0997-4428-B1E1-AECE5C3E0561.jpeg

Fantastic job so far(y)(y)(y)...question: when you'll turn the pelvis area, aren't you worried that the legs (specially the thighs at the hip) won't come loose?

Fantastic job so far(y)(y)(y)...question: when you'll turn the pelvis area, aren't you worried that the legs (specially the thighs at the hip) won't come loose?

Thanks! Great question.

Each upper leg piece (thigh) will attach to a piece of aluminum extrusion that runs from the torso mechanism down to a pivoting rod end attached to the base frame upright at about where the knee hits. This way, the legs "float" and will turn with the shorts/pelvis. See the image below for clarification. The thigh piece has been dropped out of position to show the attachment points (circled in red), and the pivoting rod ends (circled in yellow). There's a video in a previous post showing how the whole assembly pivots together.

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 7.21.34 PM.png

Chris, what are you using to control/ test the servos (pictured in your hand above). Is this something you've made? Thanks

3D Printed Body Part Shells - Hands
Mechanism - Wrist

Going with the lightweight, one-piece hands for Celebration. It’s more Star Tours accurate anyway. Rebuilt the 2-axis wrist mechanisms and added higher power servos.

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back