ANH R2-D2 Build (Weathered CS:R spec)

It sure is. You need to stop fooling around with lightsabers and get to work on yours. LOL.

I love that blue! Now you gotta scratch it up! ;)

Already on it!

KU1XeUbl.jpg

He's looking sooooo good. Not much left now. There is nothjng like taking your own AstroMech to a show. You'll be swamped with attention. Kids And adults alike.

Thanks. We can't wait to get him out and moving around. Still a bit to go but it's getting there.

Great work! It looks amazing!

Thank you!

Geez, dude. Just reread this again, Matt.

It’s R2. R2 F’ing D2.
WOW!

I know, right?! It's so cool

i know!! i only have very little to collect to have a complete aluminum droid..

battery harnesses
leg struts
under shoulder details

and im done! then its time to collect electronics, fun fun. i got r2 parts scattered all over my living quarters.. people think its hilarious...
It sure is. You need to stop fooling around with lightsabers and get to work on yours. LOL.

Already on it!

View attachment 941918

Thanks. We can't wait to get him out and moving around. Still a bit to go but it's getting there.

Thank you!

I know, right?! It's so cool

Nothing too exciting lately. I had mod my frame to get the power couplers to fit. That included routing out the bottom areas and removing a support in the front. I also had to slice the file and reprint a new one for the front so it would fit between the slanted uprights. Should be good now.

wVObRDtl.jpg

I've also been working on finishing some of my 3D printed parts. Slowly but surely getting there.

yTOriOKl.jpg

Very nice. Great job on the kick plates! Usually the aluminum frame has that curved part so the kick plate is just a flat plate that screws in from behind. I really like this design. Gives it a bit of additional geometry. excellent job.

I'm also very curious to see how you like those smaller omni wheels. Can't wait to see those bad boys in action. I have the larger ones and I absolutely love them, but I'm dying to know how differently these perform, if any different at all.

Very nice. Great job on the kick plates! Usually the aluminum frame has that curved part so the kick plate is just a flat plate that screws in from behind. I really like this design. Gives it a bit of additional geometry. excellent job.

Thanks! I wanted to avoid having a big gap under the skins there. I think what I came up with looks pretty slick. Didn’t take too much time either. I’ve already painted them and stuck them on with E6000.

What kind of metal did you use for these? When I did them for R2, I used aluminum roof flashing and it was a little thin for what I would have liked. Broke numerous times until I got it right. I am building an R5 now and want to improve on this.

-Eric

What kind of metal did you use for these? When I did them for R2, I used aluminum roof flashing and it was a little thin for what I would have liked. Broke numerous times until I got it right. I am building an R5 now and want to improve on this.

-Eric

It was some scrap aluminum I came across, just under 1/16" thick. Not really sure how thick it is. I experimented with flashing as well and like you said, it's just too thin. The outer facings were actually leftover skin parts that I cut rectangular holes into. That was the hardest part of the whole thing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back