ANH Pyro X-Wing References - Mainly: Red 6 Search

Lee, LMAO!!! :lol

Yeah, it's a tough call. I love the idea of a fully red cockpit but clearly it wasn't in the end. Must have looked too strong. Red 6 definitely did keep brighter reds in places, though. :love

But do we *know* that the Red 3 colour was a particular Floquil? It might have been red with a lighter overspray on both birds, no? That said, I have most of the Floquil paints and will experiment a bit. It isn't like the ILM crew couldn't have just masked up the same markings again.

There ARE high-res shots of this bird. There HAVE to be. :lol

No really, there are. One of the ILM guys did a show and tell talk in my town in the late 80s - can't remember who. I had no cash at the time and couldn't go, but snuck in anyway towards the end of the talk. He had bucketloads of X-wing stuff.

JM - unfortunately I don't believe Red 6 appears anywhere in the finished film. I hope I'm wrong but I think it will take 4K captures to find it, if I am.

Paul (Nighteyes) - they're all from other X-wing threads right here IIRC. Mostly screencaps from the SAG DVD I believe - I don't have it so can't confirm. Edit: actually the big one is my scan (I think it was mine, anyway) out of Chronicles.

Paul (Heaberlin) - 60%-ish at least, really. If the inner lower left wing and the inner and outer right wings didn't have anything very special beyond the red 'brick' panels, then we'll end up being more accurate than that.

Anybody notice the nose is red AND green? :D

Last edited:
Someone please remind me which pyro that is at the front of the tabletop picture with Dykstra (where there is a single row of X's). Is it 2 or 3 or something? Can't quite make it out. Very good new colour pic of it from cockpit forward in the SW Rinzler book... a pic not seen on these boards yet, incidentally, and not commented on AFAIK...

Dykstra's in the more well known shots of that single line-up, that's why I mentioned him. He's not in the Rinzler pic, no, some other guy, Jones, I guess, if we're talking about the same pic. Just to be clear, the Rinzler pic shows a view looking right down the line, with a top view of the pyro I'm on about, with all the other models pretty much obscured by it. We talking about the same pic, then, Martyn?

Jedimaster - yes it is.

I don't have any good shots of the pyro red 3 but the paint is way off the hero 3. The second bird in that row looks a lot like hero red 1 if i'm not mistaken. All the other birds look like pyro's.

Lee, I think the US congress passed a law that those shots may not be published in larger than 1"x1" format. :(

jedimaster, you're dead right - pyro Red 3 is a very different scheme to hero Red 3. They might as well be different ships.

On the other hand, hero and pyro Red 1 are much more similar to each other.

Yup! It has the inner starboard wing in the darkish colour Lee was talking about.

Right... I might do this one, actually... though I'm very far from making an actual decision. Also the canopy's a bit too dark for my taste - I'm such a picky bugger, me.

Re the tabletop pics. This one here in the Rinzler is far and away the sharpest I've ever seen, and new to boot. Must be more about somewhere - even if only in the LF vaults...

Jedimaster - aye, 'tis indeed the hero red 1.

TableofModels2markedup.jpg

Here's my scan from the making of book...Red 6 is way in the back, but the Red 3 Pyro is fairly viewable.

I just spent the last part of 1/2 an hour scanning and cropping that. Damn you keiko...................no seriously though thanks man.

I like the fact that each ship has its own character in the paint job. Very cool and makes it more real.

A shame the Red 6 is so far back... but man... how'd'you guys ID those fighters in that pic? AMAZING!!!

Im pretty sure somewhere, i did see a pic of Red6 with a badly warped lower wing...its like a banana....think it was Red6....ill have to try find the pic, you guys would know more Colin/Martyn etc lol.

lee

I like the fact that each ship has its own character in the paint job. Very cool and makes it more real.

A shame the Red 6 is so far back... but man... how'd'you guys ID those fighters in that pic? AMAZING!!!

It takes a bit of cross referencing from other photos, but it's really not all that hard.

Lee: hope you do find the warped wing pic - I don't believe I've seen that one, or perhaps just failed to notice the wing!

For my part, I'd love to see more refs on Red 6, Red 4 and Red 12...they seem to be the ones that don't get built often, though Msr Tox's Red 4 sets the bar quite high for the rest of us.

Its from a Japanese publication, pretty sure its six, at least i count six stripes?
Notice though, that canopy color....is that yellow in there?

lee
bba2.jpg

Oh yes, I've seen that pic, but never noticed the twisted wing in the bottommost image. I have to wonder about that picture's pedigree though - I'm thinking it must be post 1978 - it looks like the AMT X wing kit on the right side there, plus a strage (resin?) X-wing on the left.

Keiko, thanks for scanning up that photo. I can get a lot more out of it on the screen. Cheers!

Always wondered what the score is with that last pic in Ralphee's post myself. Definitely the MPC there on the right. A pyro which survived the first film ? - or maybe a new one built for ROTJ. What about that? ROTJ pyros...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back