ANH Motorised stunt Saber experiments (& blades) Part 1

Still in the same boat doing stuff wise so here's a little digression on screw names (from a UK perspective). We see the term set screw, grub screw & bolt often enough on these pages but I remember well the withering gaze I received many moons ago when I tried to buy some threaded fasteners which I called (I think) set screws when what I really wanted was bolts. I thought he was going to throw me out the shop.

In general there are : wood screws - that drive directly into wood or a pilot hole cutting their own thread as they go ; set screws - usually for metal & fix into a pre-made & tapped (threaded) hole ; bolts - used with nuts.

Each of these categories can have a multitude of different head types. I'll just deal with set screws & bolts here.

The most reliable way to tell a set screw from a bolt is that a set screw is threaded for the entire length of the shank eg. this flat head set screw (aka countersunk).
setscrew.jpeg

& a bolt has an un-threaded part before the head this eg. hex head bolt (not to be confused with an allen head/socket).
bolt.jpeg

If I recall properly the threaded part on a bolt is a set length, so many times the shank's diameter, so that, say, a 3 inch long 1/4 inch bolt will have the same length of thread as a 2 inch long 1/4 inch bolt & it's the length of the un-threaded part that varies & you can see that a very short bolt will have little to no un-threaded portion & look like a set screw...

To confuse things there is nothing stopping a set screw being used like a bolt - with a nut - but it is still a set screw. Likewise a bolt can be used like a set screw but it's still a bolt.

So what about grub screws ? These are (in UK) a specifically named type of set screw ie. a headless set screw. They have a fully threaded shank & no head, just an (hexagonal) allen socket or simple slot.

And lastly to confuse things even more specific industries (& countries) often have specific names for specific types of set screw & bolt. eg. machine screws (I think, in UK) are set screws below 1/4 inch diam.

Hope you found that interesting / useful.

Last edited:
Guys I'm going to have to suspend this project for while.
My wife was admitted to hospital Tuesday evening with aspirate pneumonia which I think is double (both lungs). Aspirate means it's caused by saliva & food particles getting into her lungs from poor swallowing (a symptom of MS which she's had for years) & causing an infection. Given what I've heard the doctors discussing they also seem worried she may also have sepsis (aka blood poisoning) but the symptoms showing can also come from MS, which is currently bad because of the infection. She improved sightly over Tues night & is currently stable but I've been told we're not out of the woods yet. She is very poorly.
If you see that I'm making any posts here or elsewhere it's not because I'm a callous sh;t I'll just be trying to distract myself for a short space of time,

Last edited:
Hoping your wife gets better soon - that sounds like a huge struggle and I'm glad you are with her. Wishing strength to both of you. I use the RPF as a way to handle life stress too, it's a hobby after all. :)

Thanks. It is a good hospital she's in & very close by so I can get to see her easily.
Pneumonia can get very nasty, even fatal. I lost my father to it 15ys ago after he'd had a stoke so I've seen it at its worst & M is in serious trouble with hers.

Guys.

M didn't make it. She died Friday evening. I was with her to the end, which wasn't pretty. This all happened so fast I still can't quite believe it.

My God, I'm so sorry. That's absolutely devastating, and I hope you have family and friends that will support and grieve with you through this terrible time.

I don't know what's out there in the universe, but I hope and pray that all our loved ones are at peace and in a better place than this.

Thinking about you, sir. Hang in there.

Terrible news, Wishing you all the strength and love we can muster - I can't imagine what you must be going through. May the Force be with you.

Hi everyone.
Just thought I'd stop by & thank you all for your kind thought's & words, they're much appreciated.
Things are a little more settled now but there is no 'normal' yet, if there ever will be I don't know. Everything still seems unreal but my thinking is getting somewhat clearer. This maybe down to getting some proper sleep / sleeping patterns. I'd not fully appreciated how bad this was for M & I while I was looking after her, or indeed how much of my time it was taking. Even if I wasn't actually physically looking after her I was having to arrange everything else so as to spend as little time away from keeping an eye on her. (I'm talking about her MS here.)
Family & friends have been wonderfully supportive & made a real difference.

I don't know what's out there in the universe, but I hope and pray that all our loved ones are at peace and in a better place than this.

Dann - the really short answer is yes, there's too much credible testimony for that not to be the case, that's aside from my own personal experiences. That knowledge has also helped me a lot.

I hope you all had a much better time over Christmas than I.

Last edited:
Glad you're finding some respite no matter how brief.

I can tell you that without your diligent research here, and our conversations thereof, I don't think my project would have gotten as far as it has. Actually, I'm at the point now where I've found modern-day equivalents to what Jon Bunker has shared and corroborating it with what you've researched. I've found one motor for the Obi-core that is a solid candidate.

Oh my word, I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss! I'm sorry I haven't seen this sooner. Wishing you the best at what must be an unimaginably difficult time.

Hi everyone. I've decided to call a halt to this particular thread, for obvious reasons. To that end I have amended the title to Part 1.
Have no fear I fully intend to continue the project (did I hear 'oh no' from certain quarters?). I will start another thread to cover that, so look out for the sequel - Part 2 - coming to a screen near you... sometime !

(& no, my life is still completely weirded out - it's like I've been kicked sideways into a parallel universe. Unimaginable covers it very well.)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back