ANH Han Solo belt greeblies

So I figured I would bring up an old thread and open up the discussion again on this a little more after looking at what's been presented so far. I don't think these Russian relays are too far off on size even though some are saying they are. Take a look at the pre-production photos and production photos where I've outlined the leftover space in green compared to the amount of space the greeblie takes up outlined in red. Clearly the pouch is too big for this greeblie. The photos below with their closeups first are very telling of their size and how much space they take up in the pouch.

Capture6.JPG
38C347E3-BAAB-4D11-A5AF-C9B6A09AA6E5.jpeg
Capture2.JPG
BF1D8579-8C71-4910-82AA-048F881217C7.jpeg
Capture3.JPG
3042ED2E-774F-4FFE-9332-28A4990B8678.jpeg
Capture1.JPG
Dlduk6KW4AI41wV - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Cool theories. This is great info for everyone considering building this holster.
Looking at it some more I'm almost doubting the Russian relay, but not discounting it. Here's why...using CWOODREPLICAS photo I noticed that the contact closest to the edge was taller than the others to the left of it and the other contacts were not inline with the taller one. Not shown on my markup, I also noticed the two dry contacts on the far left on the other side of the threaded post seem to be fatter, shorter and almost conical towards the bottom than the Russian one.

distance.JPG

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 23.37.06.png

After seeing that I'm looking at more general purpose relays rather than airplane, or military surplus. Companies like Potter Brumfield or Signa maybe. Haven't looked yet, but those are two that come to mind.

I cleaned up the photo and I'm now convinced there are only two posts there, maybe a third smaller one behind the taller one, the one on the left just has a shadow below the top overhang. These might be nothing more than two Phillips Head Screws screwed into the top. See the before and after cleaned up photo below.

Before
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 23.37.06.png

After
cleaned up - Copy.jpg

cleaned up with markups - Copy.jpg

OK I found a thread I was looking for!

I am very interested in continuing the search for these "relays" (if that is in fact what they are).

I work with relays quite a bit and they almost always have at least five pins total:

Two for the coil, to pull in the contacts

One that is common

One "normally open" contact

One "Normally closed" contact.

More common (in industrial use) is two for the coil and then six additional (two sets of NO, Common, NC contacts).

Another variant would be four contacts: two for a coil and two more for a set of contacts "pulled in" by the coil. This is useful when a low-current signal activates a high current switch (like your starter solenoid on your car).

So: Four, five, eight, or 11 contacts?

Anyway, I have the jumper cables on Frankenstein's neck. Let's jump-start this baby and see what has happened in the last few years!

This is self-serving, as I want a set of these for myself. However, it would be useful for anyone coming along after us! It seems we got really close, and then just gave up the search. I think with fresh eyes, we can solve this!

Who's with me?

Actually, I'm starting to wonder if these relays aren't from a F-16, maybe they're from the same airplane that the R2 holoprojectors came from?

If I remember correctly, those parts came from a Vickers Viscount aircraft.

A lot of parts seem to have come from the Vickers, so that certainly stands to reason.

That airframe and the Rolls Royce engines for the emitters as well as burner cans I’ve seen (not sure what you guys call them).

A lot of parts seem to have come from the Vickers, so that certainly stands to reason.

That airframe and the Rolls Royce engines for the emitters as well as burner cans I’ve seen (not sure what you guys call them).
I'd say that the relays coming off of a Vickers - or similar RAF aircraft - is a solid guess. I came across this a few minutes ago (I might make an offer/pick it up over the weekend):

RAF Magnetic Relay

I'd say that the relays coming off of a Vickers - or similar RAF aircraft - is a solid guess. I came across this a few minutes ago (I might make an offer/pick it up over the weekend):

RAF Magnetic Relay

Nice!

One thing I really like about this is that it has a very similar enclosure shape- no white plastic box is added. Too many pins, but those could be snipped.

And further on that subject, are we certain they are in fact "white" and not just clean aluminum? Under heavy lighting, the silver may appear white. Or it may in fact be white. They appear more white than the contact pins on top, but perhaps those were brass or gold plated.

I just don't know how much effort was placed on cosmetics for these parts, that are normally never seen once they are installed. There wasn't much to speak of for plastics in the 40's (mainly bakelite, which is black or brown) and Nylon (patent in 1935), and it wasn't used for stuff like this that I've ever seen. I would expect a "cheaper" plastic, but metal cases makes the most sense, to provide a RF shield for any internal arcing. A secondary plastic case, or cosmetic paint doesn't make sense to me.

And maybe the prop guys painted them white (and added text?). But if they did, the were very careful with not covering the connections on top, so I'm not convinced they were painted, or plastic covered. I could be completely wrong of course.

I feel that they are "in the white" clean aluminum. Maybe even polished lightly to add to the "high tech" look.

This is of course assuming they are in fact a relay/contactor and that they came from an aircraft, and not some completely different part removed from a busted washing machine in one of the prop guys' run-down apartment...

EDIT- In y searches, I have found relays which are painted white (and have a similar "capped" enclosure). Much more modern than the Vickers, but it seems a white painted variant is very plausible... Still searching...

1614349588710.png
This baby is wrong, and $75, but has a similar construction and is white painted...

2nd EDIT- Another thought is it may be a BNC (antenna) relay, and not a regular electrical current relay...

3rd edit- I found a "PC mount sealed relay" and it's also wrong, but I'm liking the form factor of the connections... Maybe getting warmer.

1614354063678.png

Last edited:

RAF Magnetic Relay
That's really close! It has most of the features I've seen on the original, including the magnet.

And just as a side note, I've seen those clear relays inside the domes of the R3 Astromechs.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back