ANH * Death Star Laser Turret

wasili

Sr Member
Hey guys,

Time to introduce this project to the world.

Back in early 2008 i visited the Star Wars exhibit in Brussels, with the sole purpose of taking pics of the ANH Death Star Laser Turret, Turbo Laser, Gun Turret or whatever you want to call it. I was lucky and the miniature was placed directly next to the edge of the display case, and took nearly 200 pics. God knows how i made 200+ pics of something so (relatively) simple.

I bought kits, made molds, and did 2d and 3d cad work in AutoCAD and Rhino.

Last sumer i rekindled that project while working on the APC's. So as not to interfere with the latter, i spent very very little time on it, but was somewhat shocked that it progressed much faster than the APC's. Sure, the geomotery lends itself to it, but it was obvious i had much to learn.

Now here's the thing. I will produce and offer these as partial kits, but NOT the donor kitparts. Nearly all parts will be machined from styrene or abs, just like the original. I'll break up the model, and offer each section seperately when it's ready, so you can buy whatever you like, and not just the entire model. This also shortens the 'time-to-market' if i may call it that.

When the APC's start hitting the airmailwaves, i'll slowly start up producing the parts for this model. The APC's are simply first in line.

A pre-order list will be opened before that (probably this week), and when your parts are ready to ship, you'll receive a PM or email to cough up the dough. Very different from all earlier offerings, but this is simply the way it should be done. And shame on me for not doing so earlier.

Without much further ado, here's the pics.

Earlier 3d version. The inner rings covered in the T-strip are not present, neither are the kit donor parts, except for the Mig 21 engine barrels.

Wasili-DSLaserTurretwip001.jpg

Some of the kitparts that i got. Man, don't you just love that 1/48 Panther G. It's everywhere. I did buy the wrong 1/24 Panther for the rear deck, though.. aaarghh. It should have been the Jagdpanther. Something i know now due to the talented Cwkwankoo.

Bottom of the pic shows the plastruct T-strip (#T6, 4.8mm x 4.8mm x 1.5mm thick ).

The bog rolls on the left are actually papercovered, roughcut plastruct tubing for the barrels. Slots still have to be machined on those.

Wasili-DSLaserTurretwip002.jpg

The base of the turret. Made up of 5 sides of 4mm styrene. Slots on the front, each rear has machined chamfered edges so they fit together perfectly. The base of the real miniature was so close to the glass, that i could take some dims, so this is probably as close to the real deal as you will get it.

Sure, the engraved lines are machined, so straight, as compared to hand made and wobbly on the original.

This is the first kit part to go up for offer, and will be made identical.

Wasili-DSLaserTurretwip003.jpg

Each side, and the top, is covered in 1mm rectangular pieces. All pieces are included, and numbered, with a guide included.

Wasili-DSLaserTurretwip005.jpg

The 'blocks' that sit at the rear of the barrels. Not finished yet. At the bottom of the pic is that slanted block that's underneath the Sherman parts.

Wasili-DSLaserTurretwip004.jpg

Before i got the plastruct T-strip, i modeled and machined them from styrene. What a waste of time. Alas...

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-DSLaserTurretwip006.jpg

You must have read my mind mate. This is the way I was going and this couldn't have come at a better time as I have most of the kitparts but hadn't started on the box as yet.
Please put me down for one. Excellent work there.

I'm willing to give you another chance. I'm in for a kit as well. This seems to be done correctly...

So Mike Salzo was telling me he's about ready to start casting for the Sealab project, since the Y-Wings are wrapping up. Should I make the Laser Turret parts a priority? Good timing and all that?

I'm interested, but that APC project is taking so long and a preorder situation on this seems like it'll be a painfully long wait for delivery. Is there any way you can make the pieces and then sell them?

I'm kind of burnt out on ordering things that don't exist yet and having people not deliver them.

This looks great though! I'd love to use this as the base, since I've collected nearly everything else needed.

I'm willing to give you another chance. I'm in for a kit as well. This seems to be done correctly...

So Mike Salzo was telling me he's about ready to start casting for the Sealab project, since the Y-Wings are wrapping up. Should I make the Laser Turret parts a priority? Good timing and all that?

Cool idea Jason, I've already cast mine up but there isn't that many parts. I have cast most of my parts so if there's interest I could offer most of the rest.

Thanx for the enthusiasm, guys....

@Scott Graham.
I can understand your sentiment. The APC is a whole different ballgame. It is so much more complex, bigger, and a truly multimedia offering. With this, i'm skipping the whole silicone mold time, the very very lengthy research and rebuilds, and so on. Also note i'm NOT taking cash upfront. Only when parts are done and ready to ship. A pre-order also lets me determine the runsize.

That said, the APC's are still first, and that is the only fair thing to do.

Btw, guys, i don't have an R2 strip yet, even though i have most of the kitparts to make one. Does anyone have a very good pic with a ruler next to it ?

Thanx.

Cheers,

Wasili

Good points wasili. I'm very interested!

It does seem that this is a much more straight forward project without all of the unknowns.

You must have read my mind mate. This is the way I was going and this couldn't have come at a better time as I have most of the kitparts but hadn't started on the box as yet.
Please put me down for one. Excellent work there.

Have to knock heads Simon, well up for this, any kits we still need i can throw in the pot?

Lee

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back