And The Prop Budget Is... WHAT..?????

tain669

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
TV show and movies that have the cheapest looking props.Or to be fair.. TV and movie that use the BEST cheap props.. That don't look cheap. Got to go with Buffy the Vampire Slayer...Great no buck prop and Great use of them..Charmed..Cheap prop that are cheap..and not used to well...Ok.. any one else..?

What do you think is the average budget for production design on a TV show? And for costumes? I dare you to make a guess ;)

I can only speak for German TV and movies. It´s usually around 5-15% of the overall production costs. So the average German TV movie may cost around 1,2m euros, and what you get is a budget between 35k and probably 90k for Production design. Granted, not many props in those movies because they are mostly love stories, comedies or crime stories.

But I think you get the idea.

If you look at Warehouse 13, they borrowed a lot of already finished stuff like the retro Computer screen, and the other props, although still expensive when bought in the secondary market, sure weren´t too expensive or kept simple on purpose.
Look at Star Wars, gold from junk.
It´s a sad reality. Ask our members, like Robstyle, who work in the industry, you won´t get rich working as a prop builder.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back