And The Prop Budget Is... WHAT..?????

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by tain669, Feb 13, 2012.

1. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

TV show and movies that have the cheapest looking props.Or to be fair.. TV and movie that use the BEST cheap props.. That don't look cheap. Got to go with Buffy the Vampire Slayer...Great no buck prop and Great use of them..Charmed..Cheap prop that are cheap..and not used to well...Ok.. any one else..?

2. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

"Hunter Prey" had inexpensive props. They looked great.

3. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What do you think is the average budget for production design on a TV show? And for costumes? I dare you to make a guess ;)

I can only speak for German TV and movies. It´s usually around 5-15% of the overall production costs. So the average German TV movie may cost around 1,2m euros, and what you get is a budget between 35k and probably 90k for Production design. Granted, not many props in those movies because they are mostly love stories, comedies or crime stories.

But I think you get the idea.

If you look at Warehouse 13, they borrowed a lot of already finished stuff like the retro Computer screen, and the other props, although still expensive when bought in the secondary market, sure weren´t too expensive or kept simple on purpose.
    Look at Star Wars, gold from junk.
    It´s a sad reality. Ask our members, like Robstyle, who work in the industry, you won´t get rich working as a prop builder.

4. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Star Trek TOS. The best cheap props ever I think.

5. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Terra Nova, and the Nerf Gun Franchise.

6. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

From at least one professional prop builder, I've heard you can get rich but you end up losing it on hookers and blow! :lol

7. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There´s always an exception :lol

8. Ozymandius

Ozymandius Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can testify that that is factually true. No exageration whatsoever. :unsure