And… another ANH 5FT falcon. My second attempt.

Dimitri-Ajith

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok here we go, finally got the guts to post something here. :)
I have been of and on doing Star Wars modeling for 8 years now I think.
And on the end of 2015 I started doing the first research on building a 5ft falcon.
Looking at part maps, asking around etc.
In 2016 I started collecting kits, and in relative short time I think I got about 100 kits.
So if in 2016 you got outbid on some vintage kits needed for SW model, it was probably me.. sorry.
But as many say building a 5ft falcon is a daunting task… not only for the costs of the kits, finding them, the costs of material. But also with a project like this no creative freedom for a long time… (if that is something you need). It’s all about getting the model as close as the original. Of course this is open for debate… but with a smaller project/model you can come away with a small part that is different. But with such an icon, and scale you will probably see it.. And with already 100 kits on the shelf…. Point of no return seemed inevitable.

Long story short… I got scared I guess. The cost, sticking to the project etc.
We bought a new house, a big renovation project… and all time, money, and energy went it that project. Then good thing was, the hobby space got bigger. When we bought the house had a big garage, and the wifey said: “Look there is your hobby space”.
So for the many ‘obstacles’, we have in this hobby, that was one less.

House is almost ‘done’ (ok a project is never done)
Back to the 5Ft falcon. I got the confidence, and maybe the mental growth to conquer this project I hope :). Take it slow, and the main goal is, to have built this beast in this lifetime.

Enough of the introduction, let the good stuff begin!

At my first attempt, I also used 3D printing, and always thought it would help to tackle this project. At my first attempt, I had a Core of Foam, CNCed to the right shape based on the 3D file from Joshua Maruska. I had put epoxy on the dome and the mandibles I skinned with styrene. (Partly done before I abandoned it)
I considered buying the dome parts from Stu, but that was to expensive….
So I always in my mind had a solution thought out to print the hull. And when I saw
The printed falcon from Geek1138 (You are a printing and modeling Titan), I got the confidence to print at least the Dome.
I already have a good amount of kits so I would continue to collect and in the meanwhile start printing…

But there were a few things I personally wanted to take a bit of a different approach,
Just to get a little closer to what Sean and now Stu is doing…. (I will never get this close.. But at least I can try :) )
The base form of the file from Maruska has the whole shape measurements so on some places you have to recalculate for the plating on the overhangs. And for the dome also, (although you could cheat there).

Here is my explainer.

Mandibles_Breakdown.png

So I remodeled everything in CAD to my specs. First the armature and the inside.
That I want to sandwich between 3mm Plexi. For the mandibles, it is really part of the model.
In the saucer/dome part the plexi is more for strength and structure.
It’s probably overkill. But since I still have to look at it a real long time, I better make something good to look at right?
I also want to skin the sides with 2mm styrene, (this probably could be thinner). So I didn't have to do the cleanup of the FDM layering.
I took this also into consideration with the new measurements of the CAD model.

Some preview of how this should going to look!
Print_01.png

Print_02.png

Print_03.png

Print_04.png

Slicing this up in usable parts for my printbed only 30 X 30 CM and 1 KG Filament spools, was and still is a challenge. (I think I got the biggest part found, and dialed the parts in… but you never know)

The metal armature is will be mounted to the famous Engine stand... Yes I also have a RED one :)

Currently I started modeling the dome….
And want to consider the Thickness of the shell (I think Stu used 4,5mm).
So if you see it at the pits you have the right thickness (like the explainer on the mandibles)
Or I make some pie pieces that are cut out and could be printed with an SLA printer, for more accuracy on that part.
For the damaged parts I have to figure something out, because if you’re going in with a Dremmel on the hull on a FDM print I don’t know what is going to happen.

So that is it for now… printing, collecting kits...
and probably starting the mandible pits soon.
Hope to give you some updates regularly.

One more thing...

I did some 'name dropping'... but probably not enough:
Thanks to everyone's data & info that led upto Joshua's CAD File. Ofcourse thanks for sharing this!
For the names I remember that I asked for info, and know that contributed to all info out there about this beast:
Stu (eagle1), Maruska, VFXSub64, Tsides2, Faustus100, vacformedhero, Gort, Studio Kitbash, Swgeek, Lee Malone (are you on the RPF?) and probably a lot more...

And Bwayne64, wasn't it you that designed an armature structure for the Hasbro 32" falcon? If it was you... thanks that design always stuck in my head..
as it shows.

Last edited:
That's quite a first post Dimitri. Thank you for sharing!

I like the approach that you are considering with the design of the core of the model. 3D printing has really made many complicated operations much cheaper and more accessible than traditional methods.

Really looking forward to following your build journey in this thread. I wish you the best of luck!

Bjorn

Nice renderings by the way!

Ok here we go, finally got the guts to post something here. :)
I have been of and on doing Star Wars modeling for 8 years now I think.
And on the end of 2015 I started doing the first research on building a 5ft falcon.
Looking at part maps, asking around etc.
In 2016 I started collecting kits, and in relative short time I think I got about 100 kits.
So if in 2016 you got outbid on some vintage kits needed for SW model, it was probably me.. sorry.
But as many say building a 5ft falcon is a daunting task… not only for the costs of the kits, finding them, the costs of material. But also with a project like this no creative freedom for a long time… (if that is something you need). It’s all about getting the model as close as the original. Of course this is open for debate… but with a smaller project/model you can come away with a small part that is different. But with such an icon, and scale you will probably see it.. And with already 100 kits on the shelf…. Point of no return seemed inevitable.

Long story short… I got scared I guess. The cost, sticking to the project etc.
We bought a new house, a big renovation project… and all time, money, and energy went it that project. Then good thing was, the hobby space got bigger. When we bought the house had a big garage, and the wifey said: “Look there is your hobby space”.
So for the many ‘obstacles’, we have in this hobby, that was one less.

House is almost ‘done’ (ok a project is never done)
Back to the 5Ft falcon. I got the confidence, and maybe the mental growth to conquer this project I hope :). Take it slow, and the main goal is, to have built this beast in this lifetime.

Enough of the introduction, let the good stuff begin!

At my first attempt, I also used 3D printing, and always thought it would help to tackle this project. At my first attempt, I had a Core of Foam, CNCed to the right shape based on the 3D file from Joshua Maruska. I had put epoxy on the dome and the mandibles I skinned with styrene. (Partly done before I abandoned it)
I considered buying the dome parts from Stu, but that was to expensive….
So I always in my mind had a solution thought out to print the hull. And when I saw
The printed falcon from Geek1138 (You are a printing and modeling Titan), I got the confidence to print at least the Dome.
I already have a good amount of kits so I would continue to collect and in the meanwhile start printing…

But there were a few things I personally wanted to take a bit of a different approach,
Just to get a little closer to what Sean and now Stu is doing…. (I will never get this close.. But at least I can try :) )
The base form of the file from Maruska has the whole shape measurements so on some places you have to recalculate for the plating on the overhangs. And for the dome also, (although you could cheat there).

Here is my explainer.

View attachment 1533929

So I remodeled everything in CAD to my specs. First the armature and the inside.
That I want to sandwich between 3mm Plexi. For the mandibles, it is really part of the model.
In the saucer/dome part the plexi is more for strength and structure.
It’s probably overkill. But since I still have to look at it a real long time, I better make something good to look at right?
I also want to skin the sides with 2mm styrene, (this probably could be thinner). So I didn't have to do the cleanup of the FDM layering.
I took this also into consideration with the new measurements of the CAD model.

Some preview of how this should going to look!
View attachment 1533932

View attachment 1533933

View attachment 1533936

View attachment 1533935

Slicing this up in usable parts for my printbed only 30 X 30 CM and 1 KG Filament spools, was and still is a challenge. (I think I got the biggest part found, and dialed the parts in… but you never know)

The metal armature is will be mounted to the famous Engine stand... Yes I also have a RED one :)

Currently I started modeling the dome….
And want to consider the Thickness of the shell (I think Stu used 4,5mm).
So if you see it at the pits you have the right thickness (like the explainer on the mandibles)
Or I make some pie pieces that are cut out and could be printed with an SLA printer, for more accuracy on that part.
For the damaged parts I have to figure something out, because if you’re going in with a Dremmel on the hull on a FDM print I don’t know what is going to happen.

So that is it for now… printing, collecting kits...
and probably starting the mandible pits soon.
Hope to give you some updates regularly.

One more thing...

I did some 'name dropping'... but probably not enough:
Thanks to everyone's data & info that led upto Joshua's CAD File. Ofcourse thanks for sharing this!
For the names I remember that I asked for info, and know that contributed to all info out there about this beast:
Stu (eagle1), Maruska, VFXSub64, Tsides2, Faustus100, vacformedhero, Gort, Studio Kitbash, Swgeek, Lee Malone (are you on the RPF?) and probably a lot more...

And Bwayne64, wasn't it you that designed an armature structure for the Hasbro 32" falcon? If it was you... thanks that design always stuck in my head..
as it shows.
Hey Man welcome to the insanity , ; )
I designed an armature for the five footer, must be someone else on the 32" falcon. But hey it's all good. We all draw from the collective well of goodness. Love the 3d work. I always do that first myself. Most times I don't get much further. I think I have ADHD, PTSD, OCD, CIA, and many other ailments. Good work so far, enjoy the journey, Cheers,

Joe

Bjorn Thanks! You do some amazing Cad work, and very generous of sharing those files with the community!
Not sure if this is the cheapest method for the 'core sandwhich' But its AN approach, I have a little more control for myself of how it's going to be...
like Joe says in his comment, I think I have some kind of ADHD , PTSD, and OCD... have to google CIA :)
Thanks on the rendering, some quick scene setup in blender, makin' it shiney. I like your real-life look renderings more.

And thanks Joe, 'everything is a remix' right? we'll see where this Journey leads...

Thanks, Dimitri. Andre and Joshua are the real wizards. I'm just inspired by what I see here all the time.

I think most of us in this corner of the hobby can relate with these characteristics Joe mentioned. We certainly are a strange funny bunch. It's probably a prerequisite.

I look forward to being able to share more in the near future. Though I'm currently obsessing over other shiny distractions at present.

Last edited:
Great start Dimitri!! It's always great to see how folks take this awesome design and apply their own creativity to get to the end state. Looking forward to your progress.

And Bjorn, you Nailed it! Joshua and Andre are incredible TRAILBLAZERS with the an insane amount of time invested, care, attention to detail, and engineering, then being so generous to share that with all of us! It's a fun Journey and we are all thankful to have the help of so many others on these projects!

-Sean

Finally my friend you posted haha.
So pleased to see you here & another build of this iconic miniature.
You got this...I'm going to push your butt to the finish line this time ok...so lookout!.

Ok a little update:

Some minor print hickups. But still going strong got a few parts done, from my 'yellow armature'.
Waiting on a piece to finish printing but I have started on 1 mandible.

Added some more kits to my stash. And finally took care of this one:

IMG_5803.jpg

After dry fitting.. on the pit's (Not on this photo) I finally starting this thing!

I am doing sort of a hybrid approach I guess, making the pits. the pits are inserted, but it's not closed up.
(Hybrid as in: for example Eagle1 his build with making the pits separate vs Sean his build with filling the pits with the mandibles closed up.)

I made a little template for checking reference photos and possible guide for placement of kit parts.

IMG_5785.jpg

IMG_5787.jpg

More soon!

Ok a little update:

Some minor print hickups. But still going strong got a few parts done, from my 'yellow armature'.
Waiting on a piece to finish printing but I have started on 1 mandible.

Added some more kits to my stash. And finally took care of this one:

View attachment 1540159

After dry fitting.. on the pit's (Not on this photo) I finally starting this thing!

I am doing sort of a hybrid approach I guess, making the pits. the pits are inserted, but it's not closed up.
(Hybrid as in: for example Eagle1 his build with making the pits separate vs Sean his build with filling the pits with the mandibles closed up.)

I made a little template for checking reference photos and possible guide for placement of kit parts.

View attachment 1540160

View attachment 1540162

More soon!
Thanks for pointing out the different approaches on engine pits taken by others and your hybrid approach. I am continually amazed how important the kit parts are in fine tuning the Falcon’s dimensions. Nice to read how others tackled different aspects of this build.

Thanks John, just PM me if you want me to think with you about the armature/base structure.
Will do. I'm waiting for my second middle section to print and then I'll see how they line up and stick together. For all future builders, I'd say start with the middle first. :)

Congratulations Dimitri on reaching this milestone!

Due to the complexity of this subject and size, I have seen few replicas of this model ever attempted and even less with greeblies.

I suspect the Ladder Chief parts on the upper and lower inner edges of the mandibles may help validate positions of some of the armor plating and the greeblies.

Looking excellent!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back