An accurate and plausible Goonies Map. Native Spanish speakers?

GezD

I've been fascinated by the Goonies map since I was a kid, but I'm unsatisfied with the various copies that are out there, and I'd like to make a better one.
Many of the various scribbles on the hero map are probably indecipherable or just gibberish, but some are clearly proper text, and tantalizingly close to being readable. After studying screenshots for weeks I think I have a good handle on "Willy's" handwriting style and can discern some letters. But I can't speak Spanish, so even when I use a dictionary and Google translate I'm sure I'm missing out on real words. Also WIlly's grammar on the riddles is pretty sketchy, whereas Google only offers 'perfect' grammatical suggestions. I'm wondering if there are any native speakers who would like to help out by spotting or suggesting words or sentences that fit the blurs?
These are my areas of focus at the moment:

Arpe.jpg

On the right hand side of the map is a word that looks a lot like Arpe, followed by the holy orb which we know appears elsewhere on the map. But Arpe means harp, which seems like an unlikely word to put on the map? There's also a word below it which just baffles me! And some more writing I have highlighted in green. The last looks to me like 'chepe' or 'Lepe' but I don't think those are valid words. Suggestions?

B.jpg

At the top left of the map is a longer message with the letters B and M clearly visible (possibly Malo?), and possibly a letter C. What do you think?

F.jpg

Finally, in the middle of the map is another long message. I interpret the first letter as F. I suppose it might be Y, but Y seems to be a very rare letter to start a sentence in Spanish (?). Another word I have seen interpreted on other replicas as Espuma, but I am pretty sure it is Espana (Spain), and the final word ladron (theif) is clearly visible. But what fits in between to make a coherent sentence? I would love to hear your alternative interpretations!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back