Amazon: Man in the High Castle

Gary Weaver II

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-High-Castle-HD/dp/B00RSGIVVO

Did anyone catch this yet? It's available for free off Amazon's Pilot Season.

I have to admit I liked it and really hope it takes off. Looks interesting. America lost WWII with Germany and Japan splitting the US down the middle... and I get the vibe that alternate realities will come into play later on.

Now I have to go grab the novel its based off of.

-Gary

I wouldn't get too attached. First, it's Amazon's "Pilot Season," meaning any of the various pilots might get dumped. Go ahead and watch and vote, but don't be surprised if this gets passed over.

Second, even if it gets picked up, don't hold your breath for new episodes. Last Pilot Season, an adaptation of the Harry Bosch mysteries was picked up...and still has zero episodes aired beyond the pilot. Apparently, they're FINALLY releasing the 10 episodes they've filmed on 2/13. So, that's just under a full year from when the pickup was announced.

Just finished watching this first season. I was up half the night as I just could not turn away. Stellar acting and plenty of drama and intrigue. Can't wait for season 2!

started a couple nights ago at 11pm and couldn't bring myself to turn it off until 6am (with work in the morning). There really should be a law against releasing whole seasons at once... or you know I could develop some restraint.

I think the single most compelling thing is the mystery of films. I'm assuming they're actually real, from what we've been shown, but how? How did the Allies win and then the Axis takes over and dupes everyone? Or maybe they turn out to be fakes, just made as propaganda to foment and uprising, which would be more in line with the book. But either way I feel like I need to know. And of course the show only dances around the subject and strings me along with cliffhangers I can't leave unresolved...

A little late to the conversation, here I realize, but I just watched the entire season in a couple of nights myself. It seems that to those of us that get hooked on this - we REALLY got hooked and binge-watch.

I've not read the book yet, but thought I'd share my theories. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can debunk me:

1) I think Hitler is The Man in the High Castle himself.

2) I think the films show alternative realities from parallel universes....some show the Allies winning the war, some show San Francisco post H-bomb, some show Frank being executed perhaps for committing a heinous act of assassination that he was contemplating at one point?

3) I think Hitler is collecting the films through numerous channels (actually funding the resistance) because they are invaluable at helping him predict the future by examining all the possible realities that are occurring....and also because of his fascination with the occult.

There are a number of references in the dialogue to the effect of "Do you ever wonder what would have happened had we made different choices?" that feed into this alternative universe theory. Further Trade Minister Tomigo seems to be teaching himself the ability to travel between the parallel realities using Juliana's necklace as a sort of totem.

I started watching the show, got maybe 3-ish episodes in, and stopped. I wouldn't exactly say that I lost interest. I find the show to be quite interesting. But it's just so unrelentingly bleak and depressing that it makes it hard for me to actually want to watch it. It's interesting in an intellectual sense, but it's hard to watch in an emotional sense.

NYCC 2016 Interviews (Season 2)

David W Zucker (an exec producer) and Brennan Brown (plays Robert Childan)
https://youtu.be/8xAszWL3lEc

Rufus Sewell (plays Obergruppenführer John Smith)
https://youtu.be/1-q0X_e3xe0

Alexa Davalos (plays Julianna) and DJ Qualls (plays Ed)
https://youtu.be/mHLUnEpGGB4

Ridley Scott (yes ***THAT*** Ridley Scott) intro to Season 2 (and a sneak peek scene)
https://youtu.be/JBbyy6P7vUk

Second Season 2 sneak peek scene: Julianna is interrogated while seeking asylum with the Reich from the Kempetai
https://youtu.be/YNzvMqNztNU

Last edited by a moderator:
So i read that a season 3 is confirmed. Just watched the first two seasons and I was bit dissapointed. Not as good as one would think after reading about it. They should really make something more with the alternate universes. The idea is intriguing but since they refuse to tell us anything about it the show plays as a rather low budget resistance against nazis movie.

I'm not gonna read this whole thread, as I don't want spoilers, in case I keep watching the show. But I would like to ask you guys if the show gets any better. I've watched the first 4 episodes of Season 1, and I'm finding the show pretty bland. And rather poorly written. It's such a cool concept, and so I'm very disappointed right now. Does the show take a while to get good? If so, I'll stick it out a bit longer. But if you think the first 4 eps are representative of the series overall, I'll stop right now.

Movies and TV shows about Nazis almost always interest me. But this one's kind of a dud so far.

Thanks. And please, no spoilers.

It doesn't get better. Not even in season 2. They establish the formula in the first episode and stick with it, it doesn't get worse, though.

It doesn't get better. Not even in season 2. They establish the formula in the first episode and stick with it, it doesn't get worse, though.

Nazis, evil though they were, have virtually always made compelling subjects in film and on television--from Schindler's List to Patterns of Force (ST-TOS). But this series has somehow managed to make them boring. The lead Nazi, who looks and sounds a bit like Christopher Walken, is not bad. But the writing is weak, and so few of the Nazis have German accents. I mean, I get it, it's 1962, and maybe those officers who are German have been living in America for a long time and have lost some of their accent. And, naturally, the Americans who become officers in the Nazi Reich have no German accent at all. But still, actors with German accents--authentic or convincingly affected--are essential when telling a story about Nazis.

Thanks for the feedback.

The Wook

The Man in the High Castle

Did a search to see if it was being discussed and didn't find anything.

Anyone watching?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back