John Dykstra Prototype Luke Lightsaber?

Looks like somebody capitalizing on the autograph without the prop prototype having any sort of attachment to the film. It's bizarre that this would even be at auction or even titled this way.

Who knows, maybe I'll learn something.

Wait… what?

So a concept from the OT, 3D printed now, signed by Dykstra cause he worked on Star Wars?

I don’t recall seeing this design anywhere amongst sketches… but my memory is crap.

I don’t recall seeing this design anywhere amongst sketches… but my memory is crap.

Yeah, me neither. It really doesn't fit well with the aesthetic that the OT was built on. If you look up all the existing photos and concept drawings of the lightsaber made for the pre-production of STAR WARS back in '75/'76, they all look like a hybrid of fencing foils and flashlights (you even see a flashlight in one of the prop photos for the parts that wound up being Ben Kenobi's hero hilt). They were really looking for something real-world at this time; nothing this ornate or even remotely sporting something resembling a sink handwheel.

Something stinks in Denmark.

That's why I asked because I'm far from a lightsaber expert, but I've NEVER seen that. The design looks way too modern, to me, for an OT design.

I think this may have just been a scenario where someone from the original production was involved in just making this particular thing for this particular occasion. I really don't think this came from or had anything to do with the production of the first movie. The design just clashes with the philosophy that drove the art direction of that movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back