All New SS TOS VIPER PATTERN, 15 1/2 inches completly scratchbuilt new pattern.

mslz22

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well this one has been in the works for a while now and should be done by the end of the week, big thanks to Mike Reis who worked on this pattern with me, he created the files and had RP work done on the intakes and back thrusters and a couple of other parts. Jesse Meyers for his help, and guys like Mark D, who are always an insperation when it comes to BSG stuff, and lots of my other buddies who are always keeping me going on this stuff....Now the story.....

This is an all new, completly scratchbuilt pattern (no parts used from the ICONS or any other original casting) for the Studio Scale TOS BSG Viper. It comes in at 15 1/2 inches long, which is 10 percent bigger than any kit that can be traced back to a casting of an original Viper (ICONS, Custom Replics, MIM etc). All parts have been sized up to match the proportions of the original filming model as closely as possible, and is much cleaner and than any previous kit offering (no more squished engine tubes!!). The afterburners, and intakes were RP'd from Mikes files and closely match the filming model.

I will be posting more pics soon, and in the interest of full disclosure i will tell you that there were some small liberties taken in making this pattern, mostly in the interest of straightening things out that needed to be straightened out from the filming model, or in the interest of molding and casting. A few greeblies needed to be scratchbuilt, and also there are going to be some optional add on part in the way of turbo fans and afterburner plates. I will get into the exact details of all of this as the thread goes on but the important part of the new pattern is that it is proportionally correct to the filming model, and sized correctly, something that to my knowlege has not been offered in a SS Viper kit before, and what my goal with this project was........enjoy

Keep in mind that for these pics the Viper is just cobbled together with some double sided tape so everything is not 100% straight or where it needs to be i just wanted to get an idea of how it all looked together, not all parts are present in pics, also note that the comparision shot is with a JM Cumstom Replicas Viper.

Now this is something I have been waiting for.:love

My Cylon Raider needs something to shoot at.:lol

Looks great!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

I agree with Allan! Kudos to all who brought this to life! :D

As previously discussed and stated elsewhere... I am IN for FOUR! (y)love:thumbsup

Just look at the size difference! WOW!!!

Outstanding work!

The studio models were not in scale with each other, the raider is between 1/32-1/35, the Viper is 1/24, a 1/24 Raider would be HUGE!. As for the lighting kit, the engine tubes will be hollow on this one, making lighting very easy, the afterburners will be cast as "caps" on the back of the engine tubes, there will be an optional afterburner plate that will be cast clear, the other option that would be closer to the studio model would be to use a reflector in the afterburner can.

I am not sure if i will include a lighting kit or have people pick out what lighting they want for themself, if i do include a kit it will be reflected in the price of the kit at my cost, or i may offer one price with the lights one without, and the difference in price would be the cost of the LED's etc.
thanks
mike

Beautiful! Mike, is this the same scale as the Raider and will you also offer a lighting kit with this beauty?

*cough* 1/24 Raider *cough*!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL... nudge nudge... ;)

Actually... one in that scale would be awesome to do for the new series "old style" Raiders as scene in Razor!

Now back on topic...

I can't wait for these new Vipers! :D

quick look at some of the smaller parts, the cannons have built in vent sprue at the top, they will need to be cut at the cannon nozzle. Landing gear bay doors will be cast seperatly from the body, as will the end cap, which will allow for it to be used as a mounting cover. Also pictured is the afterburner can cap, also will be cast seperate to allow for easy lighting, the afterburner plate will be cast clear. The afterburner plate and the turbo fan are optional "non cannon" parts.
I have started to make molds for the wings and other small parts as i complete them, with a little luck i should have a full set of molds by this time next week......
thanks
mike

Well i am a couple of days behind where i thought i would be but i should have a set of molds for early next week, I am just doing all the fit checks, and final small details. here is a peak at the intake cluster, this will slide onto the fuselage nice and snug, then the engine cluster will attach to what you see here, afterburner cans to that, then on the bottom the "tray" with the 4 rails will be cast seperate and hide all the seams underneath....
thanks
mike

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back