Alita: Battle Angel (Post-release)

What did you think of Alita: Battle Angel?

• Total voters
If Alita was a faithful adaptation to the manga, I would expect many film critics not to appreciate it. It doesn't mean it's a bad movie.
I'd rather this be faithful to the manga in terms of story, aesthetic, emotion and violence. That would make me happy.
I would be disappointed if they stripped out everything that made the manga memorable and boiled it down to a more conventional movie arc with conventional movie archetypes and tropes.

The second trailer makes me hopeful. I'll know more when I see it but I still have faith.

I enjoyed the manga quite a bit so I'll check this out at some point. I'm curious if they'll have the body horror aspect that was in the original manga.

I enjoyed the manga quite a bit so I'll check this out at some point. I'm curious if they'll have the body horror aspect that was in the original manga.

In a word, NO. Its a PG 13 in the UK and quite bloodless. I've never been very interested on the extremer elements of manga, and apparently , whilst the 3D is very well done in this movie, it seems pitched squarely at the teen market in the UK ( The Half term holidays are not far away). "Ghost in the Shell" represents perhaps the best combination of story, animation and character I've ever come across, with "Cowboy Bee- bop" a close second behind it. Maybe its the "uncanny valley" effect of her typically enlarged manga type eyes but I just find I don't respond well to her, unlike the Major. Still, I hope it does find an audience ,I'll admit I'm kind of stuck in the nineties.

What I'm hearing is that this movie will be enjoyed and appreciated mostly by fans of the manga. Some of the reviews on YouTube from folks who know the manga really like the movie.

Just saw it.

Non Spoiler review :

It's a pretty good action movie overall, perhaps not great, but it has good pacing.

The story is set somewhere in the 2500's and features a dystopic future, but of an unusual kind, where the haves don't seem to go out of their way to be mean to the have nots. It's kinda refreshing in many ways. It's more like a "We don't really care" type situation.

Life in Iron city isn't too bad, it's pretty much like many a large metropolis in our world today, with plenty of nice places to live, but also some streets you don't want to be caught out at night in.

Dyson Ido is a cyberdoctor and while looking for scrap parts he finds the head and torso of a cyborg, in some kind of stasis. He rebuilds her and they quickly bond in a kind of father - daughter relationship for she has no memory of her past. Alita is a blank slate, but not for long because her past catches up and reveals she is much more than just the sweet little girl Ido wants her to be.

Her path to finding out who she was and who she is now crosses that of many others and the various layers of Iron City are revealed over time.

The CGI is sometimes uneven, she looks quite off in some scenes, but they nail her in others. She's a very well developed digital character, and she reminded me of the excellent work they did on Gollum.

Another feature I liked is that she seems to have mass and momentum, she doesn't effortlessly leap through the air, you feel she is using power, fighting gravity as she moves.

Salazar nails a perfectly believable performance of somebody who may look like a tiny girl, but is in fact a powerhouse, but also has heart and humanity.

Even if you don't know Alita, it's a perfectly fine SF action flick.

*** Spoiler warning ***

*** Spoilers ahead ***

Kishiro's Manga is like Russian dolls, the more Alita discovers about her past the wider the universe she inhabits becomes. What seems like a simply mad-max style futuristic dystopia is merely the tip of the iceberg. In the manga Earth is nothing much than a backwater to a collection of transhuman societies, next to which being a nanotech enhanced plasma wielding cyborg is so passé.

Most simple humans can achieve immortality as long as they find the means to achieve it, but it's a dog-eat-dog society all the way and what may seem like a paradise is in fact more often a dead-end. The real evil is at the very top where people who have transcended humanity have lost all traces of it and people like Alita end up being the catalyst to dramatic changes.

The movie tries to tell the story of the first four volumes, and there is a lot of great material that didn't make the theatrical cut.

It manages reasonably well to streamline the story and retains many of the main elements of the manga. In some cases the characters are even slightly improved over the ones from the manga, adding a bit more depth to some.

It remains quite faithful to the manga in spirit, something Ghost in the Shell didn't dare to do for fear of alienating the audience. Though Alita is very dense and researched it's less hermetic and meta than GitS.

It suffers from too many antagonists, only to reveal one master puppeteer in what might be one of the most crazy evil people in the history of movie if done right, Nova or Destiny Nova in the manga, a mad scientist that is equal parts Mengele, Rick Sanchez, Hannibal Lecter and Scorpius, obsessed with challenging fate and the universe itself, experimenting with people, transforming them into his lab rats, but fascinated by Alita and becomes her sometimes ally, sometimes nemesis, in an attempt to see how far her destiny will carry her.

I do hope they will release an extended version that fleshes out some of the characters and adds more detail to an already very dense film.

Some people complained that Alita is all too perfect and that nothing is a challenge, but she does end up facing many challenges to overcome and the movie very rightly highlights that while she may be nearly impossible to defeat at this point, she remains emotionally vulnerable and the people she loves are also an achilles heel.

Overall they did a decent job of adapting the manga, sometimes missing a point here, but really doing it better than the original on others. It's not a perfect movie, but as an adaptation it was much better than I feared.

I do hope they will release an extended version that fleshes out some of the characters and adds more detail to an already very dense film.
Have there been any indications that there could be an extended version?

If one happens, then that would be another reason for me to wait for it to be out on disc before seeing it. I don't like the theatre experience any more.

Last edited:
Have there been any indications that there could be an extended version?

If one happens, then that would be another reason for me to wait for it to be out on disc before seeing it. I don't like the theatre experience any more.

I'd be surprised if the DVD wouldn't at least include some deleted scenes, there are many moments where it feels like they had a lot more material, especially around some characters.

watched it yesterday with hubby.

CANNOT WAIT to see it again on Sunday. I absolutely LOVED this film!

Admittedly I hadn't any expectations, owning to not having either read the Manga or watched the Anime. But I was at once engaged in this world, and I identified with Alita instantly. No Uncanny Valley, here.

Yes... her eyes are big. So were Golum's... she isn't human. But MAN... did she FEEL human!

i wonder if they didn't tweak things since the first trailer, as I do remember thinking her eyes looked a bit off-puttingly large in the trailer, but I didn't feel that at all in the film. they conveyed her heart and soul so perfectly that i found myself wishing I had such big gorgeous eyes myself :p

I was utterly rapt the entire time, and left feeling soo positive about this film that i hope they continue this into a series of films. VERY very well done <3

'Battle Angel' has been one of my favorite Animes for a long time- I think they did a wonderful job of recreating the look and feel of it with this movie.
Not sure if I can get to a theater to see it on the big screen, but the BluRay (hopefully with added scenes and extras) will be in my library without a doubt.

Just saw it. Much better than I was expecting during the run up to release. The look of The Scrapyard and Tiphares (different name in the movie can't recall...) were spot on, and they made Alita really likeable, which is half the battle. Was really good to see an American movie that really respected the source material in story and aesthetic. Fabulous to see Motorball realised, would have loved more of that!

I had similar problem as others with the excess of antagonists and over-stuffing of the plot for the run-time, but really that's a pretty small complaint given the episodic and epic nature of the manga. Would have loved to see this in 2-D Imax, unfortunately I can't be doing with 3-D.

A very pleasant surprise. The eyes have it.

Last edited:
I saw it yesterday. Although aware of Alita’s existence, I was not familiar with the story or anything before the film.
I thought the movie was awesome. I’ll definitely go see it again, or more.
It is weird seeing a Robert Rodriguez film that isn’t rife with quality issues. Perhaps Cameron is the Yin that has almost always been missing from Rodriquez’ Yang? This is up there with Sin City, and probably above it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS FILM.

EDIT: I’m about 30 mins in to the original Manga Richard Baker posted the link to above, and aside from some “necessary” embelishment for backstory (and honestly there really wasn’t much of it), the new movie sticks VERY close thus far to the Manga. I am very impressed about the respect paid to adhering to the lore and to the original. Guess I’m going to try to go see it again tonight.

Last edited:
'Battle Angel' has been one of my favorite Animes for a long time- I think they did a wonderful job of recreating the look and feel of it with this movie.
Not sure if I can get to a theater to see it on the big screen, but the BluRay (hopefully with added scenes and extras) will be in my library without a doubt.

If you can at all help it, I really recommend catching it on the big screen.

I hadn't seen the OAV before (I think I'd read one random volume of the manga years ago), but I did watch it last night... and I prefer this movie! I don't know if it was because of the English dub or not, but I really didn't like Gally/Alita's "bubbliness," and it felt like there was something missing to the anime.

I just finished watching it, it was really good in my opinion...honestly this is one movie that I definitely hope manages to get a sequel!

So, again, I am unfamiliar with the source material really, but with the ending as it was, is there written source material that continues beyond that point?

I’m also hoping for more of this, but I don’t want to wait either!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back