ALIENS - Motion Tracker build

Melanie

Hi RPFers !

For my first prop building, i choose something easy to assemble but something i instantly wanted when I saw ALIENS recently for the first time.

To start, you'll have to pick up all the parts needed for the assembly, and it will be the most difficult thing since the Motion Tracker was made with 80's parts.

The motion trackers were made by Terry Reed. The basic shell of the tracker is a power drill casing, dressed with mostly photographic accessories.
(The Harry Harris Aliens Collection & Archive: Hudson)

IMG_1553.jpg

Here is a list of what you will need :

- A KANGO 426 drill

IMG_1564.jpg

- A HAMA slide viewer

IMG_1563.jpg

- A Power Unit Transformer from the brand "Matchbox"

IMG_1562.jpg

- A JoBo minilight darkroomlamp

IMG_1560.jpg

- A HAMA large flag mechanical self timer 5401 with its box

IMG_1557.jpg

- A VIVITAR 2500 THYRISTOR Flash unit

IMG_1555.jpg

- A HAMA remote control for pentax

IMG_1558.jpg

- An OLYMPUS T28 calculation panel (I could only find a T32 :unsure)

IMG_1556.jpg

- A CASIO SL-80 series, calculator panel

I couldn't find one unfortunately, but you could find a nice replacement option in the Aliens Legacy forum, made by a member there :

file.php

http://forum.alienslegacy.com/download/file.php?id=5014&t=1

- A sphygmomanometer inner casing, from the brand ASSESS

I could'nt find it too... :unsure

Here is a picture posted by the member "Dacrates", in the Aliens legacy forum

iknowthispart017jb7.jpg

- Humbrol Brown Bess, ref 170 (Or if you want it O.D : ref 155)

IMG_1565.jpg

- Two metal swivels

IMG_1559.jpg

- Multiple AV cables from different diameter

- A male and a female jack wires of 1.8"

- 4 screws (that could pick up from the drill, after disassembling it)

- A metal disc of 5,3mm diameter and 2mm of thickness

Re: ALIENS - Motion Tracker build tutorial

I also wanted to give you some advices about how to search the parts...

It was a good chase, but through all the web, and in foreign languages...
I have found the main parts in Germany and in england.

So, you will have to use google translate, and search on the different ebay websites..
For instance, "remote control" is called "Fernauslöser" in german...
Or a "slide viewer" is called "Diabetrachter" in german too !

(Good luck for your chase ;) )

Last edited:

great finds!
Thanks for sharing the info. I've been wanting to build one of these myself.

I'll be watching your build with interest :)

Now, the construction part :
(Sorry if some pictures are missing... I have lost a lot of pictures due to an iCloud pb... :unsure)

Once you will found the Kango drill, you will have to dissasemble it... and it is really painful !

First, remove all the screws and the inner parts, but be careful of the amount of greese inside...

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

Then, you will have to cut the drill extension with a Dremel

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

And sand the rest

IMG_1596.jpg

You will also have to, using a dremel tool, cut this part, following the lines :

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

Then, insert a thin grid inside (I took the front grid of an old speaker) :

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

Then, you will have to fix the metal disc on the front of the drill case, with a hole drilled in the middle and four holes, forming a square...
Then, you will have to mark the holes with a pencil on the drill, and drill them. Here is the final result :

IMG_1725.jpg

After this step, you would have to widen the upper hole, on the previous picture, with a drill, in order to insert the AV cables

Then, you will have to focus on the bottom of the drill, in order to insert a rotative switch :

IMG_1665.jpg

After my researches, I discovered on this board that it could be a release valve, from the sphygmomanometer... Since I don't found the correct one, I used a guitar switch !

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Then, you will have to fix the swivels on the handle of the drill :

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

Here is the final result with the sling, after painting :

IMG_1829.jpg

To finish, you will have to drill a hole on the right side of the lower part of the drill, in order to insert the female jack wire in which you will connect the male jack wire located on the HAMA slide viewer :

IMG_1835.jpg

The female jack wire I used was really thin, but if you use an other method, you will have to cut some parts inside the drill.

And you will be done with the Drill case !!!

Then, it's up to you concerning the order... But I started with the HAMA slide viewer and the vivitar flash, Its parts will go up and down the HAMA slide viewer :

First, remove all the screws :

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

Then cutting the rest :

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

Then, remove the electronics inside, in order to keep only the buttons and the leds :

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

Then, keep this sheet of paper and glue it on the top of the HAMA viewer, then, glue the vivitar part on it :

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

Here is the final result on the two sides :

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

Then, on the the HAMA slide viewer, insert your male Jack wire, on the upper side of the viewer :

IMG_1713.jpg

You will have to find a piece of plastic that you will placed above the jack, in order to create a straight edge. If you don't do this, when you will insert your viewer on the Drill, it will bend.

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

Then, drill a hole on the back, at the upper part of the HAMA viewer, in order to insert an AV cable there :

IMG_1659.jpg

And drill a hole on the front lower part of the Kango drill case, approximately at this location :

IMG_1822.jpg

You could find on the Kango drill, a sort of rubber part, located on the Kango wire, to give a nice finish :

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

And place the cable :

IMG_1828.jpg

And you will be done with the VIVITAR and the HAMA viewer !!

Then, I recommend to go with the HAMA remote, the HAMA self timer box, and the JoBo minilight, located on the upper part of the Kango drill case :

Take the HAMA selftimer box, and screw it on the left side of the upper kango drill part :

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

Then, take the HAMA remote control, and screw it on the right side of the upper part of the drill :

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

(Keep the remote cable apart)

Take your minilight and disassemble it :

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Then, drill a hole in the kango drill :

IMG_1655.jpg

And use the hole already drilled in the JoBo minilight, and place it in front of the kango hole, then, screw them together :

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

And you will be done with this three parts and with the upper part of the drill !

Concerning the lower part of the drill, you can start with the MATCHBOX power unit :

IMG_1673.jpg

So, remove the screws, and with a flat screwdriver, remove the plastic cap :

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

Then, cut the box from 2,5cm, starting from the front of the box (where you will glue the CASIO panel).

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

You will have to screw it later on the lower part and left side of the drill case :

IMG_1691.jpg

(Final result with the calculator panel)
IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

Then, you will have to fix the HAMA selftimer, on the left side and lower part of the drill

IMG_1631.jpg

Remove the screws at the back

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

And fix it to the lateral panel :

IMG_1642.jpg

And it's should be finished with the main work !

Before putting the whole thing together, you will have to primer the parts with a sandable black paint, and slightly sanding it with a wet sandpaper.

Then, you will have to airbrush the parts in Brown Bess... Concerning the amount of thinning, for five volumes of Brown Bess, don't use more than 2 volumes of thinning.

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

Once the paint is dry, you will have to reassemble all the parts, and gluing the Olympus panel on the front part of the handle :

IMG_1696.jpg

Concerning the display of the Motion Tracker, it was made of a piece of MDF, aluminum strips and green hot glue.

IMG_1718.jpg

And the final result !!!!

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

Last edited:
E P I C!

IMPRESSIVE!

You are very talented, detail oriented, and dedicated! OUTSTANDING!

REP given and thread rated 5 stars!

takes me back to when i built mine last year - i located all the bits over a 2 week period which suprised me, in fact i was so good at location i had all the bits to make 2 of these. nice drill tho - the cleanest i have ever seen, my grease was solid black inside and the casing damaged to hell

I love a woman who knows how to use tools and build stuff....Absolutely breathtaking work , my hats off to you......Awesome work indeed ,makes me jealous

No! Marry me! Amazing build and thank you for sharing the entire process. One day I want to make the tracker. :love:love:love:love

For the record, I have absolutly no desire to tackle something like this.
BUT!!
This by far is one of the best prop builds this website has seen in many years. Awsome! AWSOME!! Wonderful pics too. I just learned something new from this thread. Thanks!(y)thumbsup:)

E P I C!

IMPRESSIVE!

You are very talented, detail oriented, and dedicated! OUTSTANDING!

REP given and thread rated 5 stars!

Marry me? That is great work. Wow.

That was a marathon of scrolling. Love to see properly detailed builds. Great job, looks fantastic.

Thank you for your comments and for the rep guys !

Sorry about the size of the pictures, I thought they would be shorter :unsure

You say this is your first build? Beautiful work!

Yes it is !
But when I see all I still have to learn here, I think I will wait some times for the next one ! :)

takes me back to when i built mine last year - i located all the bits over a 2 week period which suprised me, in fact i was so good at location i had all the bits to make 2 of these. nice drill tho - the cleanest i have ever seen, my grease was solid black inside and the casing damaged to hell

You had a lot of luck, I spent almost four months to spot all the parts !
Yes, the casing was very clean, but unfortunately, the guy who sold it to me knew what it was and the value of it.

I love a woman who knows how to use tools and build stuff....Absolutely breathtaking work , my hats off to you......Awesome work indeed ,makes me jealous

I don't even know if I have the right words, simply amazing. Thank you for sharing this with us.

No! Marry me! Amazing build and thank you for sharing the entire process. One day I want to make the tracker. :love:love:love:love

Thanks for the kind words !

I hope you will find all the part for building it !

Great build! It's nice to see detailed pics also. Your finished tracker looks very nice. :thumbsup

I have a tutorial that has been up on my site for many years as well.

Motion Tracker Assembly Guide

That kango is nasty after you open it up!

Yeah, disassembling the Kango was the hardest part !

An absolutely gorgeous build. Not only that but the base really sets it off.

For the record, I have absolutly no desire to tackle something like this.
BUT!!
This by far is one of the best prop builds this website has seen in many years. Awsome! AWSOME!! Wonderful pics too. I just learned something new from this thread. Thanks!(y)thumbsup:)

Thanks, the base was made with found parts... I were inspired by the scene when Hudson let fall his Tracker on the ground to rescue Newt !

Thanks for reading it, I am very honored ! :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back