Aliens diorama WIP *Complete*

Re: Aliens diorama WIP

With a weekend kitchen remodeling project out of the way, I can get back to this. I’ve finished the Sculpey sculpting, a quick bake of that and then a coat of primer on everything. Next I’ll be putting the little Aliens together.

I was reviewing the work on the building interior and that's some nice scratch building there! :thumbsup

Thank you Darthsideous. This is my first time scratch building something like this. For the close up shots I used the macro setting on my camera but had to set it on a tripod to get a clear picture. My hands just aren't stedy enough. I will be printing up some decals tonight that will go on the interior things.

This is cool Randy I have a soft spot in my Heart for anything Aliens as I'm finishing up my 1/20th scale APC scratchbuild looking foward to see the final presentation good job!

I haven’t been able to get to my computer all weekend so no updates to post right now. I couldn’t find a font that I was happy with so I’ve been drawing up my own letters and numbers in Photoshop. They will just be on the tank looking things and the structure. Thank you Ray. I too have that soft spot for Aliens. I’ve been checking out your APC build and you’re doing some amazing work there and such excellent details.

Thanks Randy I have to figure out to how I'm going to do the letters for my APC for I am technology challenged:confused Lol.

Hi Ray. Have you looked into dry transfer letters? I believe your scale is large enough. Here’s a link to a 1/16 scale APC build using dry transfers for the letters and numbers. APC Work In Progress 13
I’m going to try making my own decals which will be a good exercise for me. For the APC I’m going to use the white paper decal sheet and try to match the olive drab color the best I can.

Thanks for the idea Randy and you know I followed Ian's build but must have not seen that page its so simple and looks good just slice down the middle to make it look like the military style letters, have to hit the art store this week thanks so much, and you did a awesome paint job on your APC :thumbsup.

Just noticed this build Today and because I absolutely love Aliens, I've tried my own 3D work in max. Point is, if I remember correctly alot of the lettering used on the sets was one of the microgramma fonts.

I used it on one of my first modelling attempts, and the font looks pretty accurate (though admittedly for the Sulaco).

Sulaco Airlock UVMAP test by ~GM2378 on deviantART

Edit: I'm sure there is a version that has the military style split available too :)

Thanks Ray, I hope the dry transfers work out. That’s a great airlock build Vader2378 and the font looks very good. I have my decals printed out for the structure using my ink jet printer on “ink jet” decal paper. It’s my first time using this so I’m not sure how well this will turn out.

Those decals are awesome! This diorama is going to look really authentic by the time it's finished. I know it's probably too early to think about such things (or maybe not ^^), but do you plan on lighting the diorama too?

Thank you very much guys. I am not a decal expert but using these was not that difficult at all and using micro set really helped me too. Here are two pictures laying out the structure, one taken with a flash and one without. Next I’ll be weathering this and yes Vader2378, this will have one light on it. The rest of the lights will be coming from the APC.

Thanks again guys. Fuzzual, I’m digging your Imperial Foosball Table build. Done some weathering on the structures and here are some pictures, first in natural light, then indoor light. I’ve added a warm white LED to the structure. I had always intended to have just one and make the other light look like it was busted out but I never really got that busted light to look just right. So instead I just went for the burnt out bulb look (or at least tried to). The weathering doesn’t really show up too well in these pictures and I’ll be doing some weathering touch-ups once I start putting everything together.

Randy, looks awesome. My father and I have been working on an AVP vs Military diorama for a year now. 60 figures and the base will be around 3 ft by 5 ft. I will post soon. Good luck with yours and keep the updates coming.

Thank you Lvbolts. Can’t wait to see your AVP project, sounds like an awesome idea. I’ve started putting everything together and added more weathering to just blend everything in. I used different items to make this. I used a combination of straws, coffee stir sticks and a metal coat hanger to make the various tubes.

Randy that is going to be one bad A$$ piece my man. I can't wait. My dad has been busting his butt on taking some of the predator pieces and doing his own molds so we can get those pyramid looking tiles from the movie onto our own pyramid. Ill keep you updated also. Great work man. Chris.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back