Aliens Currency

Hey, I been looking for what currency is in use in the Aliens universe and can't seem to find anything anywhere, so I'm ASSUMING that they are just using standard USD$. Which, I think, is pretty lame, sooooo, I decided to have a go at developing something that I think would fit the franchise universe.

Being a massive corporation that pretty much owns space, I imagine them having a monopoly on most trade that goes on in the intergalactic work zone, and this thought led me to the old mine companies here in the Appalachian area. They would pretty much own the towns that was based around the mines and make the workers work for tokens which they then spent back to the mine company in the operators general stores. It was a pretty harsh practice all in all, but I imagine that W-Y would do something similar given that when you are light years from earth what good would a paper dollar be? I imagine they have a huge central database that stores all their employees financial lines with the more work-hours equaling more credits which could be used in W-Y Outposts or terra-formed colonies and said employee could convert cred to cash if they return to Terra (at horrible exchange rates of course, what better way to keep the workforce in space?).

With this idea in mind I've set down and sketched out an "alpha" idea and thought I would pitch it here to see what you all think and get any input before putting in a lot more time to make something that is just bleh, know what I mean...also, if this isn't the right subforum, please redirect it to where it needs to be :). Anyway, here's my quick sketch-up:

W-Y CredCard.jpg

I think the concept is pretty simple, it is a basic ID card that has a USB style "stick" that acts as a sort of banking stick (in the vein of Shadowrun for any of you 'runners out there) which could be slotted into any W-Y mainframe to access the balance or purchase supplies. This version also has a NES cart style security strip on the side/bottom, but I think I might do away with that.

Anywho, any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks, here is what I was basing my idea off of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_store

I like MPC's in that they definitely stick with the original Alien feel of the 70s and that W-Y would probably issue a hard "currency" upon docking with an outpost, but I think digital currency would be the more modern Prometheus era currency since they could pay employees whether they are at a "home dock" or out on a job :)

That's awesome currency design! I'm gonna hop in google sketchup in a bit and see if I can't use my meager skills to work up a better render.

Let me correct myself: I didn't exactly design it – I replicated it based on screencaps from Alien: Resurrection.

:)

Back when my friends where working on a Aliens movie (that was never finished) I had designed currency and company paychecks.
All where from the Corporate Reserve Bank and marked with the planet name so it couldn't be used "off world".

I had envisioned some of it strewn about on some of the sets where dead workers where found.
Never happened since the whole thing was shot blue screen and I was only on set for a day. :unsure

Back when my friends where working on a Aliens movie (that was never finished) I had designed currency and company paychecks.
All where from the Corporate Reserve Bank and marked with the planet name so it couldn't be used "off world".

I had envisioned some of it strewn about on some of the sets where dead workers where found.
Never happened since the whole thing was shot blue screen and I was only on set for a day. :unsure

Ahhhhhhh! Show us!

I agree, show us! Lol, Mike J...you make a good point that I had completely forgotten about, there WAS a scene in resurrection with currency wasn't there? I believe it was where ol' dude was getting paid for his "cargo." Now I get to go back and scour the movies just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Also, I wanted to model up my vision, but just my luck, I have three computer mouse (mice?) and each one of them decided they were gonna turn to junk :(

Since the original files are on a non-working computer I snapped a photo of the printed pieces.
dzc currency.jpg
Yes I did use actors and directors mainly as tributes and in-jokes. (the $10 is our films director)
I can't remember what the original currency I used was, IIRC it was something vintage from Europe of maybe even Middle East.
It was found on some site with scans of currencies of the world and heavily photoshopped.

The check are based on the ones used in B5.

Last edited:
Okay, so, after 3 failed computer mice and two computer crashes losing ALL of my work causing me to save obsessively...here is my finished design, the best I could do on Photoshop 7 (I know I know but I really hate the way adobe does business now).

WYIDcardFin.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back