Aliens APC - 1/12 - ** **

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 6th update **

Hey guys,

Thanx for the kind words.

Most of the day (and yesterday for that matter) i spent figuring out the remaining nose cladding, and started on the gun. In a few minutes i start machining the parts, so maybe have a picture up tonight, if not then tomorrow.

Yesterdaymorning i had the rep of my silicone supplier over here, and we came up with a nice polyurethane rubber that should fit the bill. I don't have to buy it wholesale, so i can start with a small test. Anyway, before that i'll first have to finish the masterpattern anyway, and i now have plenty of reference to finish the wheels.

Selfskinning foam rubber is an idea, but that is most likely not strong enough for any R/C driving. But would love to experiment with it, so might give it a shot.

Cheers,

Wasili

This is wonderful so far. Great stuff, I shall watch this closely mate.

Thanx thanx thanx.. always nice to share a build.

And Mike, i think we started practically the same day. I even had contact with Ian Lawrence on his build, regarding my plans to build the APC, the day before you started yours. You're building is quite speedy, nice job indeed. :thumbsup What a coincedence. Good luck with it. Personally i like to use 3d and the cnc as it effectively allows me to tweek the shape before i cut any styrene. The 3d model is also a study on the full-size APC as build for production. Oh and btw, i'm Bubblejumper on RI.

On to my build. I got stuck doing a rushjob for Heineken, which has it's main office just nearby. Although interesting, it did take 5 days out of my APC build. Can continue again today. I have pics up again tonight.

Cheers,

Wasili

Update:

I've been cutting and sanding angles at the back of nearly all the parts that make up the outer plating, to make sure they fit nicely against each other. Each shape comes from the 3d model, so they should fit perfectly after sanding. I had to sand the inner top edge of the side wall (see pic below), so to make sure the flimsy front end didn't break, i simply put a paintstick on with tape.

Wasili-APCwip15.jpg

Machined the parts that make up the nose. I've been chamfering the backs of the plates so they fit snug to eachother. The holes for the side lights are offset by 1mm so i can fit a nice square box inside. Haven't decided yet if that's gonna be part of this plate, or a seperate cast part with all the details for a lightfixture.

Wasili-APCwip16.jpg

Started putting the gun together. Just a start though..

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip17.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 7th update, page 2 **

Hey Wasili, this is looking very nice indeed. I'm dreading scratching up that main gun: it's a real mess of angles tapering down to a circular base. EEEK!

The gun rails are excellent. Were they laser routed out of solid styrene? Very nice indeed....:angel

I just did a re-calc on my APC. It's approx 660mm long which works out to 1/12.87 based on your 8.5m 'real' APC length, so our models are pretty close in size. Good to see your progress!

Mike

Also nice to see another person using their children's art work as a quicky backdrop for photos.

Also nice to see another person using their children's art work as a quicky backdrop for photos.

Yeah, my son made me some profile drawings of the '09 Enterprise. :)

My workshop is full of his drawings. I love it. I've got a 3ft high TARDIS on the wall here as well. Don't know where he got his scifi fandom from..:angel

Cheers,

Wasili

Howdy ho folks, hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Update:

Here's quick view of the overall build. Reinforced the nose, and started applying the plating.

Wasili-APCwip18.jpg

Decided to scrap the styrene turret i was building and have the cnc machine it from my 3d file. Here's a capture of the 3d turret. Still missing some details, but that's not important for the basic shape.

wasili-APCwip19.jpg

I've started with machining the top of the turret from chemiwood. The block is about 6 inches long. First step is 'roughing'...

Wasili-APCwip20.jpg

And the next step is the 'smoothing' of the part. Should have the finished piece up for pics tomorrow. Next in line are the blocky bits of the gunbarrels.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip21.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 8th update, page 2 **

Yep, looking killer! Just some damn fine work Wasili.

How long did it take you to realize the 3D files?

You have great modeling skills, thats for sure!

Keith.

You guys are too kind. Most of the time i just make it up as i go along :lol.

Re the digital turret. I did tweak it two times, but i guess maybe about an hour in total. It's a simple shape. The nose of the APC took way longer (kept tweaking it), but that's because i want this to be as close as possible to the real deal.

Cheers,

Wasili

Last edited:

Looking great! I took a peek at your website....mad skills on the boats!
Christian

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back