Aliens APC - 1/12 - ** **

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by wasili, Jan 27, 2010.

1. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Hey folks,

Always loved the APC from Aliens. Time to make a fairly sized model. A few years back i got a copy of the studio blueprint used to build the full-size prop, filled with profiles and dims. A good start, as it seems to be a fairly definite version, with minor changes.

Now the fullsize 1/1 prop (build on a Hunslet aircraft tow tractor) clocks in at roughly 8,5 mtr long. Recalc at 1/12th scale makes it 712 mm long, or a bit over 28 1/4" long.

The Halcyons kit is actually quite accurate ((( EDIT: No, it isn't :) ))). There are a number of things that are different from the final on-screen prop ( 1/1 or miniature ), but they are minor and easily recognizable with a bit of research. My model is based on the blueprints, and not so much the Halcyon kit.

Nowadays i love doing prework in 3d CAD, to work out any issues. Also links up easier with my cnc. Currently have the body nearly done in cad, still need to finetune the top chamfer and the front nose (the front turret area to be precise). Started on the wheels. I have some good pics of the real wheels, which have VERY different thread than the Halcyon kit.

Will this be a kit ? Probably yes, but first finish the masters.

Here's the first wip pics.

Cheers,

Wasili

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12th - 28 1/4" long

very cool , you will be the second person to attempt such a feat , chris c (fng) being the first allthough his was remote controled , Depending on price this is one kit i would definately be interested in .

3. Ttaskmaster

Ttaskmaster Well-Known Member

Ooohhhh..... clicky SUBSCRIBE!!!

4. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Looking forward to seeing your progress!! Color me interested. :D

5. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Thanx for the encouragement.

Just finished the cad files for the innerframe. Will start machining those tonight from 2mm styrene. Pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

6. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IN! IN! IN! This has been on my to do list for ever!

7. jockdeboer

jockdeboer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds good to me!

8. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Hey folks,

thursday's update:

Cnc-ed the innerframe from thick styrene, and put it together for the pic, without glue. For size comparison, i put in a can, albeit one with a local touch. :)

Started on the cladding. And in the pics, on the right side, you can see the parts for the rear of the body. Tomorrow i'll cnc the floor pan, that'll straighten out the complete frame. Pics are a bit dark, sorry for that.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Lear60man

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 2nd update post 8 **

You know we are all thinking Remote Control Right:love? Great work so far! So, just thinking out loud, you could do all the inner / outer panels and ship it a flat box. Separate box for gun turret and wheels.

Since this is CNC, is it possible to get a larger version say around 4 foot long? I could scratch the smaller pieces (light grill railgun mount etc).

Christian

10. propologist

propologist Sr Member

i just peed in excitement over this. Of course I sure it will be way out of my price range already..lol

11. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Hi Christian,

To be honest, flat panels, even with some subassemblies, don't work for me. This will most likely be a complete body, with nice and sharp edges. No messing with seperate panels.

A larger version is easy breasy. The panels are all the same, just a wee bit bigger. That's the advantage of having the 3d model to begin with. 4 Foot ? If you're shooting for 1/6th scale, that would be it 4' 8" .

Friday's UPDATE:

Worked out the side walls/panels in cad, which were a bit different on the full-size APC. Mostly the wheel arches (no, not 45 degree as was done in the Halcyon kit), and the intersection of the two chamfers on the top body.

Pics below show the floorpan. The three smaller pieces in front of the floorpan are the nose pieces directly surroundng the driver's window.

[​IMG]

And most of the panels for the roof and sides. There's no door yet or engine grilles on the opposite side, i'll put that in later. I've started to put the panels together, should have most of it done this weekend.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

[​IMG]

Scott1214 likes this.
  12. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 3rd update post 11 **

Hey folks,

Nothing really fancy to show today. Been glueing the frame and floorpan together, making sure everything is perfectly perpendicular.

Made most of the datumplanes for the nose, as seen in the pics below. This is the innerframe, and slots perfectly into the larger frame. The slots in the parts ease the fit, and rule out all the measuring. After all, i draw it in cad, and it takes a few extra seconds to draw in the nodges.

Should have more pics of the overall build tomorrow. Will start on the wheels on monday.

Cheers,

Wasili

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 4th update **

Aw yeah....looking * cool!!

14. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 4th update **

Thanx Rick !!! I love to work on this.

Here's todays update:

Put a few of the nose parts together, simply with tape, to get a feel of the thing.

Got most of the rear done, except for the two sheets with the ladder and the grilles.

Pics are a bit crappy. It's just a wee bit too dark in my workshop, and even though it works for me, it doesn't work for the pics. I'll try some shots tomorrow during daylight.

Cheers,

Wasili

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. geo71

geo71 New Member

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 5th update **

OMG!!!! I am so gonna follow this thread! massive respect to you for takin this project on and for takin the time to share it with us!!!!! we are behind you all the way! it looks incredible already!!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  16. friendlyskies

friendlyskies New Member

Great work so far mate. Will follow with interest.

Cheers

17. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Thanx for the kind words, guys.

Today's update. Spent most of the day researching the rear vent, grill and gun rail. They differ from the blueprint.

Made the rear, sans the grills and vents. I just put in the rectangular gaps to add it the details later. Still need to finish the edges and the top to make a better fit.

I put the rails in the pic just to show an overall image. On the full-size prop, they did not reach all the way down to the floorpan, so here they are falling a bit back. I machined them from 4mm styrene, but they should be 5mm thick. Will add the remaining 1mm when i'm machining more 1mm parts. The three square rods that connect the rail to the body were figured out in cad, and match perfectly, although you can't see it here.

Last pic shows the overall length in comparison to your average beer can.

I've got the rep of my silicone supplier cming over tomorrowmorning to talk about the correct rubber for casting the wheels. Might give it a go. Should be interesting.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Harry Harris

Harry Harris Well-Known Member

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 6th update **

Looks great so far Wasili!

Re the wheels wouldn't a self-skinning polyurethane foam be better to make them from?

Harry

19. propologist

propologist Sr Member

i'd just like to buy the plans so i cut my own out of styrene . No way I can afford the finished one.

20. Lear60man

I wasnt even thinking about the wheels. The correct tread pattern is tricky. Looking awesome:thumbsup

21. Ttaskmaster

Ttaskmaster Well-Known Member

"Look at the pretty!!!!!!!!!"

22. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Hey guys,

Thanx for the kind words.

Most of the day (and yesterday for that matter) i spent figuring out the remaining nose cladding, and started on the gun. In a few minutes i start machining the parts, so maybe have a picture up tonight, if not then tomorrow.

Yesterdaymorning i had the rep of my silicone supplier over here, and we came up with a nice polyurethane rubber that should fit the bill. I don't have to buy it wholesale, so i can start with a small test. Anyway, before that i'll first have to finish the masterpattern anyway, and i now have plenty of reference to finish the wheels.

Selfskinning foam rubber is an idea, but that is most likely not strong enough for any R/C driving. But would love to experiment with it, so might give it a shot.

Cheers,

Wasili

23. Harry Harris

Harry Harris Well-Known Member

;)

Harry

24. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Harry,

Yes, you gave me the idea. Thanx for that. Credit where credit is due. I'm open for all solutions, although it does look i'll be going for urethane rubber instead.

Cheers,

Wasili

25. Tony42

Tony42 Active Member

This is wonderful so far. Great stuff, I shall watch this closely mate.

26. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Stunning work so far thanks for sharing!!:thumbsup

27. DW Design Studios

DW Design Studios Well-Known Member

Looking good! I cant wait to see the finished piece!
    Darren

28. Arkive Dave

Arkive Dave Member

Very cool, Keep sending photo's

29. LastBattlestar

LastBattlestar Well-Known Member

This is just fantastic Wasili....I had no idea we were both working on an APC project!:eek

http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=8756

Yours looks very nice indeed, alas I am stuck with more traditional methods of construction. I look forward to seeing many more updates on this!

Mike

30. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Thanx thanx thanx.. always nice to share a build.

And Mike, i think we started practically the same day. I even had contact with Ian Lawrence on his build, regarding my plans to build the APC, the day before you started yours. You're building is quite speedy, nice job indeed. :thumbsup What a coincedence. Good luck with it. Personally i like to use 3d and the cnc as it effectively allows me to tweek the shape before i cut any styrene. The 3d model is also a study on the full-size APC as build for production. Oh and btw, i'm Bubblejumper on RI.

On to my build. I got stuck doing a rushjob for Heineken, which has it's main office just nearby. Although interesting, it did take 5 days out of my APC build. Can continue again today. I have pics up again tonight.

Cheers,

Wasili

31. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Update:

I've been cutting and sanding angles at the back of nearly all the parts that make up the outer plating, to make sure they fit nicely against each other. Each shape comes from the 3d model, so they should fit perfectly after sanding. I had to sand the inner top edge of the side wall (see pic below), so to make sure the flimsy front end didn't break, i simply put a paintstick on with tape.

[​IMG]

Machined the parts that make up the nose. I've been chamfering the backs of the plates so they fit snug to eachother. The holes for the side lights are offset by 1mm so i can fit a nice square box inside. Haven't decided yet if that's gonna be part of this plate, or a seperate cast part with all the details for a lightfixture.

[​IMG]

Started putting the gun together. Just a start though..

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

[​IMG]

32. LastBattlestar

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 7th update, page 2 **

Hey Wasili, this is looking very nice indeed. I'm dreading scratching up that main gun: it's a real mess of angles tapering down to a circular base. EEEK!

The gun rails are excellent. Were they laser routed out of solid styrene? Very nice indeed....:angel

I just did a re-calc on my APC. It's approx 660mm long which works out to 1/12.87 based on your 8.5m 'real' APC length, so our models are pretty close in size. Good to see your progress!

Mike

33. Tony42

Tony42 Active Member

Also nice to see another person using their children's art work as a quicky backdrop for photos.

34. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Yeah, my son made me some profile drawings of the '09 Enterprise. :)

My workshop is full of his drawings. I love it. I've got a 3ft high TARDIS on the wall here as well. Don't know where he got his scifi fandom from..:angel

Cheers,

Wasili

35. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Howdy ho folks, hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Update:

Here's quick view of the overall build. Reinforced the nose, and started applying the plating.

[​IMG]

Decided to scrap the styrene turret i was building and have the cnc machine it from my 3d file. Here's a capture of the 3d turret. Still missing some details, but that's not important for the basic shape.

[​IMG]

I've started with machining the top of the turret from chemiwood. The block is about 6 inches long. First step is 'roughing'...

[​IMG]

And the next step is the 'smoothing' of the part. Should have the finished piece up for pics tomorrow. Next in line are the blocky bits of the gunbarrels.

Cheers,

Wasili

[​IMG]

36. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 8th update, page 2 **

Yep, looking killer! Just some * fine work Wasili.

How long did it take you to realize the 3D files?

37. Keith

Keith Sr Member

You have great modeling skills, thats for sure!

Keith.

38. wasili

wasili Sr Member

You guys are too kind. Most of the time i just make it up as i go along :lol.

Re the digital turret. I did tweak it two times, but i guess maybe about an hour in total. It's a simple shape. The nose of the APC took way longer (kept tweaking it), but that's because i want this to be as close as possible to the real deal.

Cheers,

Wasili

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  39. Lear60man

Looking great! I took a peek at your website....mad skills on the boats!
    Christian

40. Space Jockey

Space Jockey Well-Known Member

Incredible work! Already it's looking fantastic!
    -SJ :cool

41. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Thank you thank you...

Monday update:

Finished machining the top of the turret. I noticed the y-axis gears needed a bit of adjusting, but couldn't do that during the machining. There's a few extra lines in there, but nothing a bit of sandpaper can't fix.

[​IMG]

Spent the day working on the cad file for the nose turret. The shape is very close to the original, but i need to adjust the overall size by a couple percent, to get a better fit. Will do that tomorrow. Did a quick render with VRay, with the turret on the nose. Still very new to rendering, so go easy there.

Cheers,

Wasili

[​IMG]

42. LastBattlestar

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 9th update, page 2 **

That is very sharp work Wasili.:cool

Do you think that the front window is vertical or angled rearward? Oh, how nice it must be nice to get those parts CNC'd and laser cut. I sanded my fingers to the bone tonight working on mine!

Mike

43. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Thanx Mike,

The window is angled. Oh, and i have no lasercutter. It's just a cnc router. I've worked with lasercutters a lot for architectural models, they're great and they're incredibly fast with acrylic and scoring, but i still prefer my cnc router for styrene and blockmaterial.

Btw, you a Connely or a Rocketeer fan ?

Cheers,

Wasili

44. mandalore697

mandalore697 New Member

It's great to see so many amazing scratchbuilds going on. Keep up the great work! makes my Halcyon kit look pants in comparison!

45. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Thanx Mandalore,

The fun in this is actually building the thing, and not just talking about it. Only way to get some experience doing these things.

Update:

Did most of the work on the turrets, although just now i did notice i made a small stupid mistake on the front turret. So will redo that one.

Here's the turret parts, main turret on left, nose turret on right. Still need to do the circular parts on both turrets. The small flat part with the two rectangular indentations, is the front of the main body of the main turret. The barrels slot into these indents.

[​IMG]

And overall view with the turrets in place. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Cheers,

Wasili

[​IMG]

46. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 10th update, page 2 **

truly amazing

47. Space Jockey

Space Jockey Well-Known Member

Beautiful work. I love the crispness of the parts you'e made so far. Great work indeed. :cool

48. Tony42

Tony42 Active Member

Oh that beautiful to behold. Great stuff so far, thanks for the update.

49. LastBattlestar

Coming along nicely, Wasili!

A question for you: do the horizontal sections of the turret rails sit flush on the roof? My rails have little support legs but the whole assembly seems to sit up too high. I've seen one pic of the full sized APC an the rails do appear to sit directly on the roof. What do you think?

My build page updated BTW.:)

Mike

50. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Folks,

I got stuck with a regular project in the past week. Nearly done there, and have started on the APC again. Currently machining the sides of the nose, and the driver's door. Time to finish up this baby. Should have updated pics up soon.

Cheers,

Wasili