Aliens APC - 1/12 - ** **

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - ** 34rd upd., pg 17 **

Thanx...

Btw, today's update is pushed to tomorrow (saturday). I helped out a sick friend at work for the past two days adding in quite a few extra hours, so needless to say i feel a bit pooped.

Oh crap, i was supposed to pick up that carbon today. Aaarghh.

See ya tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

Hey guys,

Here's the cooling fins on top of the spotlight (as seen on the render posted above), now cnc machined from styrene. The fins all have a tapered profile (they are thicker at the bottom than on the top of the fin), but can hardly be seen in this pic.

3am here, so time for some shuteye.

Next update, tuesday.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip127.jpg

I'm pushing the scheduled update up a day till tomorrow. What a crappy day it was.....

Alas..

Cheers,

Wasili

Hey guys,

Here's todays update.

Machined some more pieces that make up the side details for the spotlight. They're still on the cnc bed (see pic), so a bit dusty.

Wasili-APCwip128.jpg

And also did the front mesh/grille/whatsitcalled that funnels the light at the end of the cone. It's machined from 2mm styrene, and i'm not going to bother with casting these. All of them will be machined. I hate cleaning/sanding blobs of excess resin, especially with fragile parts.

Only thing left on the spotlight is the tapered tube that makes up the front half.

I have a few long days ahead for a productpresentation, so next update is next week tuesday.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip129.jpg

1/16 USCM, well closest to them are HOT TOYS ALIENS Snap Kits USCM figures that stand around 4" tall. Hot Toys Alien vs USCM Snap Kit 1 Box (12pcs) | HobbyLink Japan
They appear on ebay from time to time.
Plus Hot Toys Snap Kits also include the AVP (predator and ALIENS figures) range too inc a QUEEN

Now an APC to suit 1/18th or 1/16th now that WOULD be snapped up :D

Sorry Teckno,

I only build a 1/12 APC.

Cheers,

Wasili

Okay guys,

Next one up.

Was a good week. As mentioned last week i picked up a large batch of carbon fibre leftovers. Today i got a fresh new batch, on the roll, of some 25m2 412grams biax carbonfibre cloth, ready to use on the hulls. It does help to work in composites :)

I also scored an old oven for 5 euro, for postcuring all the epoxy/carbon parts besides the hull. No pissing off the misses here, by using the one in the kitchen.

And yesterday i talked to Hornsby, better known as the owners of Humbrol, regarding a future reissue of #170. No luck there, even though they do consider requests into their future offerings. So everybody, mail Humbrol that you want 170....badly.... ;) I did ask whether they make custom batches of say, 1000 tins, but no luck there either.....

Anyway....

I've been building a new jacket mold for the new silicone hull mold. I usually build mine from mdf. Sure, there's plenty of different ways to do this, but the straight lines of the APC make this my preferred method.

I came up with a two parter jacket. One part slots in the other, locking each other out. It only needs a few screws to keep it all from falling apart.

Wasili-APCwip130.jpg

There's a few advantages to this, as the thickness of the silicone will be very consistent (it's 10mm all round, except for some of the corners), saving a lot of material. I've added an extra rim on the top of the box, locking the edges of the silicone in place, preventing the rubber 'walls' from falling in while i work on the epoxy and laminate. And locking the mold perfectly in the jacket.

Yeah, i know it's a bit of a lame update, but this still took a few days to figure out, and put together.

Wasili-APCwip131.jpg

Oh, and here's my junior crew showing the size of the jacket. I'm not sure why they're laughing... Modelmaking is serious business...:darnkids:behave

Wasili-APCwip132.jpg

With a bit of luck i'll have the first new carbonfibre hull out of the mold by sat or sunday.

Tomorrow i'll post some more pics of the hull, out in daylight.

Ciao ciao,

Wasili

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - ** 35th upd., pg 18 **

That's not lame. That's awesome. It's one more great picture showing the process and the thought going into it.

Was just studying the jacket and looking at the extra channel along the top edge. So you will pour the silicone up over the rim and fill the channel?

Was just studying the jacket and looking at the extra channel along the top edge. So you will pour the silicone up over the rim and fill the channel?

correct Rick. The rim is 10mm lower than the outer edge, so when filled, the silicone edge will be thick and sturdy enough to stay in place.

cheers,
wasili

Hey folks,

Just a short notice this week, to let you know that i'll have the next update up next week wednesday oct 5th. I'm sure people are going to like this one :cool.

Cheers,

Wasili

Hey Wasili,

How bout that update brutha..... what has that mad cnc machine of yours made since your last post?

Steve

Hey guys and gals,

Just a quick note to let y'all know that APC updates start again from next week. I've been burning the candle at both ends for a while for my daytime (and nighttime :( ) job, so have been taking some days off to get back in shape.

Sorry for the delay. And thanx for the interest :thumbsup..

Cheers,

Wasili

:coolI just spent 3hrs reading this thread up to this point awesome skillset wasili that ya got and design skills too. Loved this APC from th' movie .

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back