Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Thank you rickhoward, I'm so glad you are happy with them!
That comparison picture of the machine sewn wings and my wings is the reason I've decided to go down this rabbit hole.. very pleased with the results!
I'm glad you did. I've been slow to assemble my jacket(s) because of this detail. Now that it has been sorted, I don't have much left for excuses. :)

You can see that they removed the back (2 backs) of the flight suit G-4B and applied them on the front of the jacket. Those flight suit have a second lining inside and the lacing on the sleeves comes from the inside suit part.

Hi everyone, I wanted to give something back to a community I have learned so much from.

My journey to the perfect nostromo wings replica.

So while I was working on my own Nostromo jacket, I never was happy with any of the wings that were out there – mostly off eBay which are machine sewn standard patch. Also available is Magnoli’s wings which are the best looking so far but not quite exactly like the on-screen ones.

At first, I thought they used metallic gold and silver embroidery thread such as this DMC metallic embroidery thread
View attachment 1343450

I am embarrassed to share this picture, this is my first ever attempt at replicating the Nostromo wings, but I will share it nonetheless:
View attachment 1343451
Needless to say, very bad, I know.

Then I went back to school researching the original wings from the movie:

First some background, John Mollo designed the original concept art for the wings inspired by ancient Egyptian iconography namely the winged sun:
View attachment 1343452

The ceiling of king Ramses VI tomb in the Vally of kings in Luxor:
View attachment 1343454

Other versions of the winged sun:
It is a symbol associated with divinity, royalty and power in the Ancient Near East (Egypt, Mesopotamia, Anatolia, and Persia).
View attachment 1343455

So I was after a version based on this design by John Mollo:
View attachment 1343453

Turns out there are 2 types of wing designs used by Dallas and Kane's costumes. One for the shirts and one for the jackets.

Shirt design, with somewhat of an "angular" wing:
View attachment 1343498View attachment 1343500View attachment 1343499
In this shape:
View attachment 1343458
( I'm not sure where this picture is from but my best guess is the original shirt worn by Parker/Dallas in several scenes?)

Jacket version of the wings, which is truer to Mollo's original sketch of a straighter 'boxed' shape:
View attachment 1343506View attachment 1343503View attachment 1343504View attachment 1343505View attachment 1343502View attachment 1343507

Thanks to a few members of the RPF, namely SG-RB and Funky, [EDIT Sept 3rd: Correction. It was stephen210 and funky]I have been able to get pictures of Kane's original jacket, which is a part of Bob Burns’s collection. These pictures are valuable in order to fully understand the design of the original screen used wings:
Kane jacket original:
View attachment 1343509View attachment 1343510View attachment 1343511

Dallas shirt:
View attachment 1343459View attachment 1343460

These pictures gave me a proper understanding of the making process that went in to these wings, namely the specific threading technique, placement, use of gold or yellow thread in combination with the metallic coil and dimensions of the piece as a whole.

Goldwork embroidery is an old embroidery technique considered very luxurious and once available only to the very wealthy. Used in religious, royal and nobility class textiles and military uniforms.

The threads used in goldwork are made from real metal. With some types of goldwork threads, the metal is wrapped around a fiber core, while with other types of metal threads, the whole “thread” is all metal. Therefore due to the intricate work involved, it is exclusively handmade. Thus the price is high compared to machine sewn patches.

Then, after spending hours reading through this very thread, I learned that almost a decade ago merliner made a run of 25 goldwork embroidered wings:

Merliner's wings:
View attachment 1343726View attachment 1343727

And as they are stunningly beautiful, I couldn’t help but notice that his wings were made from one type of shiny finish metallic thread. Whereas the on screen wings used a combination of shiny and matte finish.
As illustrated here:
View attachment 1343729
And can clearly be seen here, here and here:
View attachment 1343503View attachment 1343505View attachment 1343730

I then went to work, perfecting and improving my goldwork skills and working with a professional artist. I ended up with these samples:
View attachment 1343735
First proper attempt, but still not quite there:
View attachment 1343736
Further attempts: (with this one I was very happy, as it was very true to the original John Mollo design)
View attachment 1343737View attachment 1343453

But, alas, it is not the version that ended up in the movie, so I had to remove the wavy inner part of the wings. I eventually ended up with these two designs. I feel like these are the most true-to-screen and true-to-the-original-patches in both design and production process:

View attachment 1343739View attachment 1343743View attachment 1343742View attachment 1343741View attachment 1343744View attachment 1343740

In conclusion, I have spent a tremendous amount of time and effort trying to perfect these wings. it also adds to my appreciation of the creative process that went in to the production design of this film, it is truly mind blowing! It also just goes to show how far Ridley Scott's layer upon layer approach to movie making went. I am a bit biased, but I couldn't be happier with the end result. Hope you like them ;)

Some comparison pictures:
View attachment 1343821View attachment 1343820
Notable attempts (I do not know by who, if anyone knows please let me know):
View attachment 1343822
[EDIT Sept 3rd: SG-RB, has brought to my attention that this is also merliner 's work. Thank you]

(I designed this post to be specifically and exclusively Nostromo wing patch oriented, so that all of the info is a little more concentrated instead of scattered across an 80 page thread..)
View attachment 1343739View attachment 1343740View attachment 1343742View attachment 1343742View attachment 1343743 Marvelous work you have done on these,, they look just brilliant fella.

What a great post, your dedication and work here is excellent. I love your finished wings!
I am lucky to have Merliner prototype wings on my Dallas jacket (the ones you listed as noble attempt) which I really like as well but would be more than happy to wear your wings if I was doing another jacket.
Hats off to you sir!!

What a great post, your dedication and work here is excellent. I love your finished wings!
I am lucky to have Merliner prototype wings on my Dallas jacket (the ones you listed as noble attempt) which I really like as well but would be more than happy to wear your wings if I was doing another jacket.
Hats off to you sir!!
Thank you sir!

Did you buy the wings from him over the forum? During my research I was trying to gather more details about his work but pictures from a decade ago, which were probably stored off site, are lost. He was last seen on the forum in Feb 2017, I would love to know more about that run...

Thank you sir!

Did you buy the wings from him over the forum? During my research I was trying to gather more details about his work but pictures from a decade ago, which were probably stored off site, are lost. He was last seen on the forum in Feb 2017, I would love to know more about that run...
Let me look back and I will PM you so as not to clog up the thread, if that's ok?

I've been working on a second Nostromo jacket, just for the heck of it. (I'll probably try to sell one of them somewhere down the line).
It's all done except for the ship's name. I'd previously cut a stencil by hand out of adhesive paper, which worked ok. I know there were some printed stencils used by some in these threads. Is anybody selling them?
Thanks-

I've been working on a second Nostromo jacket, just for the heck of it. (I'll probably try to sell one of them somewhere down the line).
It's all done except for the ship's name. I'd previously cut a stencil by hand out of adhesive paper, which worked ok. I know there were some printed stencils used by some in these threads. Is anybody selling them?
Thanks-

Pm'ed you.

Here are my Nostromo crew shoe replicas! I thought people might like to see them. I used white converse as the base, white leather for the straps and vulcanized rubber sheet for the ribbing on the toe.

DSC01243.jpeg
DSC01246 copy.jpeg
DSC01250.jpeg
DSC01251.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are my Nostromo crew shoe replicas! I thought people might like to see them. I used white converse as the base, white leather for the straps and vulcanized rubber sheet for the ribbing on the toe.

Who needs PF with results like this? If I ever need to make another pair I'll definitely go this route. Can you post a pic of the rivets you used? I used white plastic rivets which work/look good, but the bottom part presses on top of the foot.

Who needs PF with results like this? If I ever need to make another pair I'll definitely go this route. Can you post a pic of the rivets you used? I used white plastic rivets which work/look good, but the bottom part presses on top of the foot.
I used Chicago Screws painted white, worked well and are flat so are comfy. Photos are somewhere back in the thread.

Chicago screws here as well. I've been happy with the effect and feel.

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get an interest run going - These will be super accurate copies of the Nostromo crew button down shirts.
One element that I know for sure was never before replicated is the spring snap button, designed by John Mollo and made by Bermans & Nathans costume house in London in 1978. If you would like to read more about this project, and perhaps even be interested in participating:

Original Dallas shirt:
IMG_0194.JPG

Closeup on the button:
DSCF3366.JPG

This has John Mollo's fingerprints all over it! the hexagonal shape that is all over the design of this film:
Snap.button.zoom.with.diagram.png

Vectorization of the pattern with the help of retrogarde, Thank you! :
ButtonPattern_1Layer.jpg

First proof sample in Silver:
proof sample button.jpg

Next in the correct yellow Gold:
snap buttons.jpg

Video:

I couldn't help but notice that the design bore a striking resemblance to the Nostromo's engine nozzles:
img_22015.png
__sXoX6g.jpg
nostromo mini.png

I tried to dig, but couldn't get a lead on what was designed first, the costumes or the ships nozzles :)
75f330288a6bbe2327d93c95f1446053.jpg

Thank you!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back