ALIEN Nostromo Crew Watch

smagda64

Jr Member
In the film ALIEN, the Nostromo crew wore a watch composed of 2 Casio F-100 black resin watches attached to a orange flexible band. Through the years I've seen threads from different websites from other people who have made this prop and I've always wanted one for my ALIEN collection but the price of vintage Casio F-100 watches is very expensive.

alien-sigourney-weaver-ripley-jones-sm.jpg
kane.jpg
dallas_parker.jpg

I did purchase a broken one years ago for a good price but I decided I would recreate it as a 3d file and print it on my resin printer.

Stans_Casio_F-100-sm.jpg

With a digital caliper I measured and modeled in Autodesk Fusion 360 the watch and created 2 different types of bands. The flat band I plan on making in silicone some time in the future but for now I'm using the bent one for my display. The watch has a front and a back and when put together there is enough space to put a Casio module from an inexpensive F-91W watch.

2_Casio_watches_and_band-sm.png
Alternate_band copy-sm.png

I printed the watches and bands on my Elegoo Saturn resin printer. The original watches were made of black resin so I thought it was appropriate to use resin for my version. The 2 images are from the slicer (Lychee Slicer) I used to convert the STL into a file that would work on the resin printer.

6_watch_tops_bottoms-sm.png
watch_bands-sm.png

Here is the original next to 3d printed versions and the watch module removed from a F-91W. I used Siraya Tech Fast grey resin and at this point I haven't sanded the shells in prep for painting.

resin_copies-sm.jpg

After a bit of sanding and a couple of coats of grey filler primer I painted the shells with black gloss lacquer and a clear gloss coat. For the bands, I used Vallejo Clear Orange with a semi-gloss coat. I put slits in the band models so that I could place a thin strip of rubber through the lugs and hold the 2 watches together. The rubber came from a bike tire repair kit I had in my garage.

painted_shells-sm.jpg
bands and rubber-sm.jpg

I created graphics in Adobe Illustrator for the bezel area and the watch stand. After they were cut out and glued on the front of the shells I placed thin clear plastic over the bezel graphics that I cut from packaging I received with a tool bought recently. It gives the illusion of glass.

watch_graphics-sm.jpg

I put it all together and saw that the modern Casio F-91W watch modules also includes the date on a separate row while the original only had the time and AM or PM on a single row. So, the LCD text was getting cut off.

watch with modules2-sm.jpg
watch with modules3-sm.jpg

I decided to create LCD graphics based on the original F-100 in Illustrator which I can place behind the bezel. The watch stand is from one of the Casio F-91W watches. I added the Weyland-Yutani and Casio logos to the stand.

watch with paper3-sm.jpg
watch with paper4-sm.jpg

Now I have it placed next some of the other ALIEN items I have recreated or purchased.

ALIEN_IKEA_case-sm.jpg
ALIEN_IKEA_case2-sm.jpg

In the process of working on this project I learned the correct settings for printing with my resin printer. There are a bunch of failed versions and prototypes sitting in a plastic bin on my work bench. They are reminders of how far I've come since I started this project. With this knowledge, I'm going to print a bunch of other prop models I've made in Fusion 360 in the last 2 years. When I finish, I hope to post again on the RPF.

Attachments

• bands and rubber-sm.jpg
    bands and rubber-sm.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 193
  • watch_graphics-sm.jpg
    watch_graphics-sm.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 209
In the film ALIEN, the Nostromo crew wore a watch composed of 2 Casio F-100 black resin watches attached to a orange flexible band. Through the years I've seen threads from different websites from other people who have made this prop and I've always wanted one for my ALIEN collection but the price of vintage Casio F-100 watches is very expensive.

View attachment 1383445 View attachment 1383528 View attachment 1383530

I did purchase a broken one years ago for a good price but I decided I would recreate it as a 3d file and print it on my resin printer.

View attachment 1383446

With a digital caliper I measured and modeled in Autodesk Fusion 360 the watch and created 2 different types of bands. The flat band I plan on making in silicone some time in the future but for now I'm using the bent one for my display. The watch has a front and a back and when put together there is enough space to put a Casio module from an inexpensive F-91W watch.

View attachment 1383451 View attachment 1383452

I printed the watches and bands on my Elegoo Saturn resin printer. The original watches were made of black resin so I thought it was appropriate to use resin for my version. The 2 images are from the slicer (Lychee Slicer) I used to convert the STL into a file that would work on the resin printer.

View attachment 1383453 View attachment 1383454

Here is the original next to 3d printed versions and the watch module removed from a F-91W. I used Siraya Tech Fast grey resin and at this point I haven't sanded the shells in prep for painting.

View attachment 1383457

After a bit of sanding and a couple of coats of grey filler primer I painted the shells with black gloss lacquer and a clear gloss coat. For the bands, I used Vallejo Clear Orange with a semi-gloss coat. I put slits in the band models so that I could place a thin strip of rubber through the lugs and hold the 2 watches together. The rubber came from a bike tire repair kit I had in my garage.

View attachment 1383544 View attachment 1383459

I created graphics in Adobe Illustrator for the bezel area and the watch stand. After they were cut out and glued on the front of the shells I placed thin clear plastic over the bezel graphics that I cut from packaging I received with a tool bought recently. It gives the illusion of glass.

View attachment 1383472

I put it all together and saw that the modern Casio F-91W watch modules also includes the date on a separate row while the original only had the time and AM or PM on a single row. So, the LCD text was getting cut off.

View attachment 1383483 View attachment 1383484

I decided to create LCD graphics based on the original F-100 in Illustrator which I can place behind the bezel. The watch stand is from one of the Casio F-91W watches. I added the Weyland-Yutani and Casio logos to the stand.

View attachment 1383489 View attachment 1383492

Now I have it placed next some of the other ALIEN items I have recreated or purchased.

View attachment 1383545 View attachment 1383547

In the process of working on this project I learned the correct settings for printing with my resin printer. There are a bunch of failed versions and prototypes sitting in a plastic bin on my work bench. They are reminders of how far I've come since I started this project. With this knowledge, I'm going to print a bunch of other prop models I've made in Fusion 360 in the last 2 years. When I finish, I hope to post again on the RPF.
Nice work! Looking forward to your next project:

ahhmazing! could you please share the file for the flat band? i want to print it in TPU.
also i printed this watch from thingiverse and it included instructions for trimming the f-91w so it fits properly. perhaps you can get it to fit the say way. Alien Nostromo Crew Watch (Samani E-125/Casio F-100) by EveningNewbs
I had made the Fusion 360 model 2 years ago with the idea to print it out some day. I bought an FDM printer in June because I was part of the second pre-order round for the Elegoo Saturn which wasn't going to come out until November and I wanted to get a 3d printer to play with while I waited. I went on thingiverse to look for stuff to print and saw the Casio F-100 model and printed it out in grey PLA+. I got a F-91W to try to see how it would work and got inspired to try and use it with my model. Unfortunately as you can see the LCD text gets cuts off. The model is hollow and comes in 2 parts so if I do find an appropriate watch module I can place it inside. PM me and I'll send you the flat band STL.

Nice work.

Your logo is from A2.
A1 is the Egyptian wings and Waylan Yutani
A few years ago, I created a vector WY wing logo sheet on propsummit for people to use. I wanted to make my own ALIEN tupperware mug and thought that I should share the file. The plastic area I had for a logo on the watch stand would be weird with a thin horizontal logo. It was an artistic choice to use the A2 logo because it fit better. I've attached the PDF of the logo sheet.

Attachments

• 20171108_200716.jpg
    20171108_200716.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 239
  • wy-wings2.pdf
    527.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
That looks great Stan, probably the best remake of the ALIEN watch I have seen so far.
Like you, I have a passion about the movie ALIEN. We both put in a lot of time to make a replica from it that we wanted. Your gold wings are the best I've seen and I'm happy to have added them in my collection.

A few years ago, I created a vector WY wing logo sheet on propsummit for people to use.
Very cool, I thank you for this! I've printed some wings and have these applied to my tupperware cup, they look the mutts nuts!

I've been on the lookout for a logo sheet like this for the Wayland Yutani "W" too ...

Great watch replica!!!! And I love your Alien display!!!! All the prop replicas!!! WOW! (Love the Indy poster too!)
I'm trying to put together a Ripley costume... I found a place called Shape Ways who sells replica pieces for the Ripley watch. Not as nice as yours, there are no decals which go with it but... I was going to get the piece that goes over two Casio F-91Ws and the orange band they fit in. Has anyone here ever had dealings with them? Is it quality work? Does the cover fit the F-91Ws correctly? Do they get your order to you in a timely manner? Any information would be helpful!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back