Alien Helmet Build

I was wondering what all the wrap white things in the background were. Then looked at your avatar (R2 feet boxes). Nice build and love that you are doing it old school like I would (no 3d printing smarts).

I was wondering what all the wrap white things in the background were. Then looked at your avatar (R2 feet boxes). Nice build and love that you are doing it old school like I would (no 3d printing smarts).
Yeah, those are R2 battery boxes. I make and sell PVC ones and aluminum ones. Thanks

I did quite a bit of studying the chin box, trying to figure out what's going on with it. At first I thought it was concave or sunken in around the hemispheres. But closer inspection revealed that it's actually flat, with the center ridge built up to flare up and into the curve of the round strap:
IMG_20200930_113954.jpg

I'm going to put some curved pieces in the top and then fill it in before the hemispheres go on.

That chin box is my third attempt. After looking at a lot of pictures, doing a lot of calculating, I settled that it must be 6" to 6.5" wide, and 4" tall. With the distance from the bottom edge back to the neck at 2" Getting that box close allowed me to start putting on the piping that wraps around the neck. I went back and forth and decided that the piping must be 3/16" of an inch, half rod. I used styrene.
IMG_20200930_144127.jpg

I located those with scotch tape, squinted at a lot of pictures, and triangulated off of the side of the chin box. Then I trimmed those and glued them on a few inches at a time with CA glue. Adding those really makes it pop. I'm really happy to get here after thinking about it for so long.

And to be fair, if someone were selling 3-D printed parts, I'd be first in line to buy.
i recently bought a 3D printable model from CG Trader. only problem is, it doesn’t have all the flat greebly details

i recently bought a 3D printable model from CG Trader. only problem is, it doesn’t have all the flat greebly details

That's interesting. No offense, but that model is really off on a lot of important macro and micro details.

I just discovered your thread but as a die hard Alien obsessed fan I can honestly say that this is an ambitious project and you are doing a great job at tackling it. Really impressive.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back