Alien Flamethrower - Any scuba/diving experts for part ID

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm thinking that the gold assembly is some kind of scuba regulator and the gas bottles are pony cylinders?

Could be way out, but can anyone ID the regulator part?

2lcwbax.jpg

Hi, the red tank on the Nostromo flamethrower is a little scuba bottle that was used on French 'Fenzy' bouyancy compensators. It's a lightweight 0.4 liters, 200 bar working pressure steel tank. There's a 'international' yoke directly on the valve so that it can be refilled from a regular (larger) scuba tank. There was also a larger tank, but I'm pretty sure it's the 0.4 liter model (I learned to dive with this BC back in the seventies). The white tank looks identical, but it seems to have a different valve above it.

See http://www.lesmala.net/plongee/fenzy.jpg
You can just see the tank sticking out.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I found the correct bottles on ebay a while ago, described as emergency bottles. I have also seen them referred to as bail bottles

My flame thrower with the bottles and yoke:

t9xoaf.jpg

1zcdfh3.jpg

The tanks are steel and look to be repurposed small capacity redundant scuba cylinders. You can tell they are steel by A) The bottoms of the tanks are rounded, with Aluminum cylinders they make the bottoms flat so they'll stand up on their own but with Steel it'd be too heavy. B) Compressed gas cylinders are required by various government bodies (mostly the DOT) to have information stamped into the upper rounded neck of the tank, a 3AA designation is used to denote a tank is steel. 3AL is aluminum.

Most pressure fittings/valves/regulators are chrome plated brass. The brass can be removed from wear and tear, or I suppose you could do it with a wire wheel and a lot of time. As far as what kind of valve is in the pictures there... well ya got me there, I've never seen anything like it and I've worked in the scuba industry for 15 years. It looks like it might be used for some kind of trans-filling set-up maybe, I'm not really sure but from the shape/size/constructions of the knobs on the valving stuff it's pretty old. Very cool build tho.

The film featured both chrome and brass regulators from prop to prop. Presumably, as you note, the chrome had either worn off or was removed on the one owned by Propstore. The one sold by Profiles recently featured a chrome regulator and some minor differences in detailing.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back