Airbrushing, Compressor, etc!

Ronan87

Sr Member
I have been using an airbrush for the better part of a couple years. We just moved to a new apartment and it's one of those place that everything sounds louder than it actually is thanks to living in a concrete building (everything resonates).

My little compressor is apparently bothering people (it has never bothered anyone before). I'm on a quest in finding something more quiet, or even DIY it. Any thoughts? I have taken a look at the normal stuff available but they are about 10% quieter and a couple hundred dollars. That wouldn't make any real difference.

Second, can the seniors with more experience give me some personal experience help. I use Acrylics, Enamels and Lacquers and try to keep them separate. Base coats and general painting is done with acrylics, my washes with enamels and any metallic with Lacquers. Yesterday after spending the better part of 3 month on a Ferrari F2001, i found my enamel base coat (a very nice custom red) simply bubbled up and peeled off the model a couple minutes after painting it red. I have never had that happen. The model was clean, lightly sanded, and then primed with the regular Tamiya Primer (white this time, i'm all out of grey). What happened?

Third, airbrush ultrasonic cleaner. Worth it? I always clean mine by hand, and only had one issue of 'not clean enough' once.

I think this is the right category since all of this is for building scale models.

Well, you may have to experiment, but have you considered on getting a plastic storage bin, lining it with foam padding (like the kind used on beds, you know, that look spikey) and then setting it over the compressor while it's running? I don't know if that'd work, but I would think that'd probably cut it down a bit.

Well, you may have to experiment, but have you considered on getting a plastic storage bin, lining it with foam padding (like the kind used on beds, you know, that look spikey) and then setting it over the compressor while it's running? I don't know if that'd work, but I would think that'd probably cut it down a bit.

I always thought any kind of enclosure would cause heat issues? I have mine setup on a rubber pad to cut out vibration noises, but the compressor itself is slightly loud (not really, but noise carries here).

Maybe an enclosure, lined with eggcrate foam. It's good enough for soundproofing recording studios. All you need to do is have a feed duct so the compressor can refill when the tank empties.

Since it only takes 30-45 seconds to refill a 3 gallon tank (well, that's how long mine takes), overheating shouldn't be an issue, since the compressor is off, while you're using the air from the tank.

-Fred

I bought a little oilless compressor to use in the house and it howls like a chainsaw. I wonder if it could have been put back in its box with the styrofoam padding to quiet it.

A fridge compressor can be used to DIY a very quiet system.

use the storage bin idea, and just get two smaller fans and cut two holes in the bin. One on each side, one to suck air in and second to suck air out. Worse case just turn the tv on really really loud to drown out the compressor. :lol

To answer the other questions - I have had the same problem with Tamiya white primer. I've found that letting the primer cure for at least 48 hours usually solves the problem. Usually enamel over acrylic is no problem, but the thinning and propellant compounds need to cure off. Tamiya white is the only time I've ever had the problem, though.

An ultrasonic cleaner is really only needed if you do a LOT of painting with different mediums. If you've had no problems so far, it sounds like you're doing everything right. I admit that I do have an ultrasonic cleaner; have had for about 10 years... and I've used it maybe three times.

Depends on how much air you are using. I would consider getting a larger tank and possibly filling it outside, then bringing the full tank inside. You could even possibly consider finding a used scuba cylinder or something similar, filling it outside and then bringing it inside once it's full.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back