Ahsoka lightsaber project--Prototype Pictures up 4-9-2024

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
EDITED 4-9-2024

I finally got some pics of the finished prototype of the Ahsoka saber set. Hope everyone likes them.
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 21.25.19_77d37457.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 21.25.20_42da6b23.jpg

And here are the originals I was trying to copy...
ahsoka-tano-s-lightsaber-hilts.jpg

Last edited:
Something like that. I'm exploring a number of options for what to do with the model. Any comments on what people would like in their collection?

My main motivation in all my projects is accuracy to the original prop. Now, a lot of people right now are really into FX capable sabers. But for Ahsoka, the belt hanger heroes were drastically different from the FX fighting props because the design did not lend itself easily to a neopixel setup. In Mando, they built larger sabers to hold batteries, and in Ahsoka, it seems that they're holding the batteries in separate compartments hidden in Rosario's sleeves.

The models I've drawn up replicate the belt hangers, and so right now, I'm leaning towards doing static props that copy the hilts just as they were made for filming, and leaving the FX work to other people who value FX functionality over accuracy to the original props.

Last edited:
Something like that. I'm exploring a number of options for what to do with the model. Any comments on what people would like in their collection?

My main motivation in all my projects is accuracy to the original prop. Now, a lot of people right now are really into FX capable sabers. But for Ahsoka, the belt hanger heroes were drastically different from the FX fighting props because the design did not lend itself easily to a neopixel setup. In Mando, they built larger sabers to hold batteries, and in Ahsoka, it seems that they're holding the batteries in separate compartments hidden in Rosario's sleeves.

The models I've drawn up replicate the belt hangers, and so right now, I'm leaning towards doing static props that copy the hilts just as they were made for filming, and leaving the FX work to other people who value FX functionality over accuracy to the original props.
I would love to have a fully screen-accurate set from the series. There are many FX versions available, so I would say go for a static set. Mostly because then you don't have to make any concessions, because electronics have to go in later. That way, your replicas can really stand out from the rest.

Last edited:
I always LOVE your static props.

Are they drastically different between Mando and her own show?
The belt hangers look similar, althought the ones on display from the new show look to have a higher finish quality than the belt hangers we saw in the BTS Mando real
ah13.png

The big difference between Mando and Ahsoka shows is in the stunts. For Mando, here light-up sabers were huge and very thich. From what I've seen with the new show, the light up sabers are more appropriately scaled. But, it seems like they hide the electronics in her costume.

My thought is that while there are various FX versions of Ahsoka sabers, they aren't very accurate. Most of them were based on the Mando stunt and they are nowhere close to the belt hanger. May be some will release FX version based on the Series belt hangers but that remains to be seen and invariably there will be compromises which will make them less accurate.

If it is possible to make a FX-capable version that is accurate to the prop, I'd say that is the best of both worlds and there will be a large demand for a set like that.

Screen Shot 2023-09-12 at 12.15.30 AM.png

Here is a table of dimensions for various Ahsoka sabers. It is a screen capture from a video of reviews of Ahsoka sabers in Youtube. Discounting the Legacy hilts by Disney, you can see that the dimensions are all over the map. It's not clear if any of the builders except eFX had access to a good source. eFX did but it's not been released yet.

Damn, that is so weird, I did a version of Ahsoka's sabers like 6 years ago or so with the same kind of details, Obu Wan pommel, graflex red button and bunny ears, very very similar to this! I'll post photos later when my computer is on, but I even have the WIP thread somewhere here.

ended up turning on my computer not long after,
here is the saber I did a few years back, not exact, but the principle is so close!
comp_Ahsoka.jpg

the WIP thread, at the time I didn't have a lathe or anything, I did this all by hand, I was actually considering asking people if they would be interested in a similar saber for the past few years and didn't do it for now. weird stuff!

sorry for the slight off topic, was just super surprised when seing the saber on the poster and couldn't resist discussing this!
cheers

ended up turning on my computer not long after,
here is the saber I did a few years back, not exact, but the principle is so close!
View attachment 1739735
the WIP thread, at the time I didn't have a lathe or anything, I did this all by hand, I was actually considering asking people if they would be interested in a similar saber for the past few years and didn't do it for now. weird stuff!

sorry for the slight off topic, was just super surprised when seing the saber on the poster and couldn't resist discussing this!
cheers

Great picture. I really love that interpretation of Ahsoka's saber. If I can get more references, I'll definitely be after one of those. I always thought the cartoon sabers needed more "translation" when they go to live action then a lot of replicas make.

View attachment 1739671

Here is a table of dimensions for various Ahsoka sabers. It is a screen capture from a video of reviews of Ahsoka sabers in Youtube. Discounting the Legacy hilts by Disney, you can see that the dimensions are all over the map. It's not clear if any of the builders except eFX had access to a good source. eFX did but it's not been released yet.
Where this this come from? I wish I had this sort of compilation for all my replica projects.

I agree fully accurate and FX would be great. But I don't know if I have the capability to engineer the internals and keep the exterior accurate.
Right now, I'm leaning towards replicating the original prop as it was made--a combo of resin and metal part. Something along the lines of the Darth Maul sabers I did.

Where this this come from? I wish I had this sort of compilation for all my replica projects.

I agree fully accurate and FX would be great. But I don't know if I have the capability to engineer the internals and keep the exterior accurate.
Right now, I'm leaning towards replicating the original prop as it was made--a combo of resin and metal part. Something along the lines of the Darth Maul sabers I did.
It's a video by Youtube user Fanporium, starting at 46 sec mark:
He seems to be a huge fan of Ahsoka hilts. Has reviews of multiple Ahsoka hilts.

Probably could use some help from a fx-hilt designer like Shadowcrest Design. He's collaborated on saber design with Phoenix Props. He's also designed Korbanth's recent Luke Hero VeeOne.

Last edited:
Great picture. I really love that interpretation of Ahsoka's saber. If I can get more references, I'll definitely be after one of those. I always thought the cartoon sabers needed more "translation" when they go to live action then a lot of replicas make.
Yeah I’ve held off getting any animated sabers, even though it’s difficult! I knew that many would pop up in live action and when they do, I completely lose it. I need them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back