Advice for Printing on Static Cling Vinyl - Back to the Future Project

MattgomeryBurns

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Have any of you printed custom decals on static cling vinyl, either professionally or on your home printer? Looking for advice, tips, or pointers.

I finally have a pair of screen accurate Doc Brown stopwatches. Well, almost screen accurate. They're the same models, but the ones used in the movie swapped out the liquid crystal displays with LEDs to make them easier to see at night. After chatting with Roland about making mine more screen accurate, and not wanting to take any drastic measures, I got the idea to print the digital displays on static cling stickers (like the ones you get on your windshield after an oil change).

It appears that there are clear sheets you can buy to print at home but they all seem to be sold out. The ones on Amazon have terrible reviews. The only other option is a seller on Etsy who will print them for you, which is probably my only option.

Now the important questions:
  1. What color should the background be: black or amber?
  2. What times would you print? I'm thinking 1:21 and 1:22
Here are my stopwatches
IMG_0618.jpg

The screen used pair from, well, ScreenUsed
Docs Stopwatches ScreenUsed.jpg

And some screen caps
1_lcj0NpOCw77UkAQ1lgjw_g.png

Doc stopwatches screen cap.jpg

I'm doing a replica of this prop at the moment.
But i'm do my own design, and 3D printing it. Not the same, but good enough for me ;-)
But i'm choosing 1:20 and 1:21, and I will do it with black background. I don't know if it's the right color, but I like it better that way.

I'm doing a replica of this prop at the moment.
But i'm do my own design, and 3D printing it. Not the same, but good enough for me ;-)
But i'm choosing 1:20 and 1:21, and I will do it with black background. I don't know if it's the right color, but I like it better that way.
Very cool, looking forward to seeing your build. How are you going to tackle the numbers? Waterslides? Etched into the print?

Have any of you printed custom decals on static cling vinyl, either professionally or on your home printer? Looking for advice, tips, or pointers.

I finally have a pair of screen accurate Doc Brown stopwatches. Well, almost screen accurate. They're the same models, but the ones used in the movie swapped out the liquid crystal displays with LEDs to make them easier to see at night. After chatting with Roland about making mine more screen accurate, and not wanting to take any drastic measures, I got the idea to print the digital displays on static cling stickers (like the ones you get on your windshield after an oil change).
It appears that there are clear sheets you can buy to print at home but they all seem to be sold out. The ones on Amazon have terrible reviews. The only other option is a seller on Etsy who will print them for you, which is probably my only option.

Were you able to solve it in the meantime?

Here’s my stopwatches. Kind of a holy grail prop for me considering the rarity of the Citizen.
Dagobah Don I got lucky and found the Citizen Stopwatch for sale on a local classified Ad, only problem was it all the way out in Australia. Luckily the seller was willing to ship it, he had used it for celestial navigation apparently which requires a really accurate timer that goes to the 1/100 of a second.
205B915A-4298-4019-BCD4-3E3776D19EFA.jpeg

You can see my dog wearing it here in this photo but I have also recently acquired Doc’s Seiko stopwatch for a good price as well, I don’t know if I came across this post before in my past but I had imagined a display case exactly like what you have there and I plan to put one together just like it. Great job on that!
It’s been a grail piece for me too, especially having the complete set. It’s not easy to find both of these stopwatches but they belong together!

Last edited:
Very cool! Here's the link for that shadow box, you can print up a pic from the scene and put it in a slot behind the objects.

Also, here's a second set of timers that I have that I've added the correct images for the numbers. These are simply color printed images snatched from a still frame of the movie with a little double sided tape. Not museum quality, but it looks the part on a shelf.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.21.53 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.21.53 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
The fact that you managed to find a second set and unite them just proves how long you’ve coveted these stopwatches.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back