Advanced Member budget costumes?

WhiskeyBeard

I know this is random, but I think it would be fun to see what some of the more experienced members that have already made their full suits could do with a budget costume under $200. Buckets, cardboard, foam; whatever.

I started a budjet build while I was traveling with my old job. Started making some gauntlets..had a blast doing it. Would like to do something like this one day. Some of the things you guys do with foamies is awesome and very inspiring.

Mine started out as a super budget suit. Then I started building and selling Canons Bios Armor buying and selling virtually everything slowly upgrading every step of the way.
and...I still haven't finished!

It's more of a journey than a destination for me.

Mine was going to be a budget suit, but i got the bio first then got hooked, i dont wana know how much ive spend, worth ever penny still.

yeah its amazing what some people can do with a great imagination and less money
my god billy sole awesome predator character ever apart from the obvious predator :eek:

I would love to see this done. But I want to see true acounting.

I'm building my first suit and I keep getting "budget" suit used. Well if you break it down, I've spent over $100 on foamies I'd bet. And I've lost count of how many cans of hammered paint I've gone trough at 7 bucks a shot.. And forget about Plasti-Dip.

I'd like to see a true $200. Everything included. Materials, glue, paint, etc. If you use a Cheerios box to make the bio, include the cost of the Cheerios. Stuff found in someone else's garbage count's as free. Your own garbage, count the price.

I would love to see this done. But I want to see true acounting.

I'm building my first suit and I keep getting "budget" suit used. Well if you break it down, I've spent over $100 on foamies I'd bet. And I've lost count of how many cans of hammered paint I've gone trough at 7 bucks a shot.. And forget about Plasti-Dip.

I'd like to see a true $200. Everything included. Materials, glue, paint, etc. If you use a Cheerios box to make the bio, include the cost of the Cheerios. Stuff found in someone else's garbage count's as free. Your own garbage, count the price.
Ya, I'm above the $400 mark all ready and I really don't have much to show for it. I have a lot of my raw materials though, I just have to get off of my butt and get the stuff shaped into something recognizable.

I have two full sheets of plastic (one ABS and one Sintra) totaling $75. Granted, one sheet will probably be more than enough for one set of armor (and gauntlets) for me. With Goodwill and dumpster diving I can see it being doable, just not practical or quick. You would have to be pretty resourceful to get something complete for $200 especially if you include tool costs.

As far as accounting that stuff. I don't think you need to include the money for the stuff you found dumpster diving. But keeping track of how many hours were spent looking would be something to consider.

Oh. You can't count hours. No matter what type of suit your building. That's why I have no answer for anyone one when they ask me how much to make me a...(fill in the blank). The time involved in any costuming project, even if you are having everything made or doing it yourself, you can't put a price on that.

Oh. You can't count hours. No matter what type of suit your building. That's why I have no answer for anyone one when they ask me how much to make me a...(fill in the blank). The time involved in any costuming project, even if you are having everything made or doing it yourself, you can't put a price on that.
I see your point. I was trying to make a distinction between time scavanging for parts and build time. Since build time was going to be required, I wonder how much 'extra' time it take for someone to 'find' materials.

My suit under $200.00 (armor made of foamies)

4.jpg

11669_1198453775116_1641672986_479207_6371916_n.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, most of the armor is made of fun foam, the gauntlets are made of Pringle's cans, and kids shin guards. I got adult shin guards and reshape them cuting them and adding foam. And the mask was a bargaing from one of our friends from the lair. Silverado. I can't remember if i have pics of how i made it but i will look for it and let you know.

3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back