Adding A Zip To A Termokk Torso

xander2323

Hi all.

Sorry to bother you folks but I need some help. I just got my Termokk torso which looks absolutely great but which very hard to get on and basically doesn't fit due its lack of zipper. Corey himself has said he's really sorry and forgot to add it and has given me instructions on how to do so.

He is suggesting I slit it up the back where the backpack is. The problem is as it is a fully foamed torso this whole back area is about an inch thick with foam and doesn't seem like a great place to be cutting in half and adding a zip.

I was wondering how anyone else had dealt with this. I'm thinking of adding the zip up the side as it is a long thin seam up the side. The only thing is this is going to be visible and potentially lessen the impact of this fabulous piece of work.

Here is my conundrum illustrated:

backofsuitcopy.jpg

Do you see what I mean? This back-piece is a big chunky bit of the torso and doesn't seem like it should be cut in half. Anyone else got thoughts on this?

Seems it would be easier to cut it here and add a zip or velcro:

sideofsuitcopy.jpg

But then that's really going to scar the thing.

Or I could add it here on the other side, very near the backpack but still not covered by it. This seems like the best option at the moment as I won't be slicing the foamed area in half.:

backpacksideofsuitcopy.jpg

Does anyone else with one of Corey's torsos have any pics they can show me or suggestions as to the best way to do this?

I really need some help on this one as I don't want to make a terrible mistake.

P.s. It has occurred to me that creative use of netting (which was going to add anyway) would cover a zipper line pretty well.

Xander - I'm in the same dilemma. I haven't decided what to do yet but I am thinking the side.
I think once it is complete with the netting and bandoliers it won't be noticeable at all.

Looks like Bodiee went up the side and Maximuspred went up the back.
Not sure if either of them had it foamed like you and I, though.

If you slit from the neck down to about where the middle of the backpack is, on the side of the backpack under where the computer will rest, you can hide it all under the computer. You dont have to slit it all the way down unless you want to, this will hide the zipper, keep cutting to a minimal and make it easy to pull the torso up by stepping into the neck hole. Once you slit it just peel the foam away from the latex about 3 inches so you have room to sew the zipper onto the back of the latex. The foam will stay in place because its cast to take that shape again but you can choose to glue it all back down again with some shoe goo, or barge cement, or even more latex.

Thanks Corey! It's been cut all the way down, the zipper is half sewn on and I've worn it for the first time. In case anyone else wants to see a pic of someone doing this I thought I'd just post this photo of how we did it:

21efa75d.jpg

The zip is blue (the only one of that length we could get at short notice) but it will mainly be hidden by the backpack and netting so it's not a problem. It won't be visible. I'm so glad this went ok. There was a scary moment where I cut the torso up the back where I was pretty nervous.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back