AbbyShot's Captain Jack Harkness Coat

ok option A in the last photo I posted would you move that second form the top button to the middle of that button hold? and move the top button just under the lapel?

questions questions:lol:lol

ok option A in the last photo I posted would you move that second form the top button to the middle of that button hold? and move the top button just under the lapel?

questions questions:lol:lol

I'm real bad at getting around to taking pics (as you know :lol)...but I will try to snap a pic tomorrow evening when I get home of the front of my coat laid out so you can see the positions. I didn't worry about lining up with the button holes so much as a general appearance of the buttons when the coat is worn open.

I'm real bad at getting around to taking pics (as you know :lol)

Can't say you weren't warned. ;)

Anyway...here's the pic...

100_1045-1a.jpg

The buttons are in a straight line, but due to the way the coat was laid out for the pic, it obviously doesn't appear perfect.

One thing I noticed is that this coat has a more "tailored" cut to it, probably to reflect the re-patterning done for Miracle Day. It's not as "baggy" or loose as the season 1 or 2 coats were. This is why the spacing of the buttons at the bottom (side to side) is not going to be completely screen accurate to the early coat.

I guess my coat is a hybrid of sorts, trying to make the best of what there is to work with.

Kinda hope that all makes sense. :confused

ive been dying to get my hands on this coat! But i'm the type of person that has to sit and drool over something for a couple of months and make my mind up on if i want to drop that amount of money on one single item. I've been looking into the thought of making one from scratch so that it fits me a bit better than the general sizing..... Hopefully i'll make up my mind soon, actually hearing from someone who's got the coat is GREAT! Id love to see some shots of the coat being worn to see how 'fitted' the coat is.

It's a beautiful coat, and the material is soft and flows well. Sadly, as people have pointed out, the top button placement is hilarious, and the rank slides are off. Didn't worry me as I chopped the top buttons off (they are on high up on the shoulder for Godsakes) and unpicked the slides. I didn't want a replica coa as such, I just liked the coats style for everyday wear. The fit is nice as it is slightly baggier and more voluminous than the Tennant coat, and the material is thinner and softer so it flows differently and feels great on.

The really really sad thing though is the length, it is far far too short. It should be the same length as their Tennant coat at least, but it is almost 8/9 inches too short and as such ruins the overall look. For the cosplayers out there, it is disappointing big time just for that as the other mistakes can be fixed. For everyday wearers who like the vintage RAF greatcoat look though, it is perfect and much better than the real thing due to the material, tailoring, fit and construction.

The really really sad thing though is the length, it is far far too short. It should be the same length as their Tennant coat at least, but it is almost 8/9 inches too short and as such ruins the overall look. For the cosplayers out there, it is disappointing big time just for that as the other mistakes can be fixed. For everyday wearers who like the vintage RAF greatcoat look though, it is perfect and much better than the real thing due to the material, tailoring, fit and construction.

It may depend on the size of the coat and your height. My coat length falls a couple of inches below my knees...like in the attached pic. The length has never been a concern for me, at least.

Also, don't forget, there were several versions of the coat made. One was longer, designed to be more flowing, and a slightly shorter one for when John Barrowman had to run in some scenes. I think a Tennant length coat would be too long.

After reviewing this coat, and comparing it to the various coats in the 4 seasons of Torchwood, I am of the belief that it is an "idealized" coat, more tailored than the first 2 seasons, but still a bit more flowing than season 4.

It may depend on the size of the coat and your height. My coat length falls a couple of inches below my knees...like in the attached pic. The length has never been a concern for me, at least.

Also, don't forget, there were several versions of the coat made. One was longer, designed to be more flowing, and a slightly shorter one for when John Barrowman had to run in some scenes. I think a Tennant length coat would be too long.

After reviewing this coat, and comparing it to the various coats in the 4 seasons of Torchwood, I am of the belief that it is an "idealized" coat, more tailored than the first 2 seasons, but still a bit more flowing than season 4.

You are prefectly correct on that. I'm 6ft 2ins, so it will be quite a bit shorter on me than someone not as tall. I was hoping for this kind of length....

936full-john-barrowman.jpg

6a01348361f24a970c0133f16058e8970b-pi

6a01348361f24a970c0133f160e306970b-pi

What I got is actually closer to the length in your piccie. I just like long coats and the Tennant length would have given me that look.

Rather disheartening. 1, I really like Jack Harkness. 2. I love WWII style. 3. My name IS Jack and Im known for being a pirate so people at work even call me "Captain Jack"

When I first saw Harkness on Who I loved him. I would love to have his coat.

I wouldn't mind buying it from Abbyshot. I just can't imagine that for that much money they couldn't even get the rank braids right.......eh

I'm considering buying this. Is the general consensus that it's worth it without any modifications?

Well, there's really only a couple of options open to you (in no particular order)...

Abbyshot
Other "Cosplay" coats
Custom made

I've made (and am still making) mods to this coat because I felt it was the best option out there for me, and a good base to work from. The other cosplay coats all have their issues, and there is no guarantee of their quality (or even their color). That wasn't a gamble I was willing to take when this coat hit the market just to maybe save a hundred or so bucks.

It all comes down to how "screen accurate" you want to be...or if you just want a coat that looks the part and is identifiable.

Just my take on it. I hope this will sorta answer the question. ;)

Well, there's really only a couple of options open to you (in no particular order)...

Abbyshot
Other "Cosplay" coats
Custom made

I've made (and am still making) mods to this coat because I felt it was the best option out there for me, and a good base to work from. The other cosplay coats all have their issues, and there is no guarantee of their quality (or even their color). That wasn't a gamble I was willing to take when this coat hit the market just to maybe save a hundred or so bucks.

It all comes down to how "screen accurate" you want to be...or if you just want a coat that looks the part and is identifiable.

Just my take on it. I hope this will sorta answer the question. ;)
Thanks for your help. :)

I'm in the process of putting real KC buttons and changing a few things

other wise I would buy this again but only a xl and not a xxl

love the jacket as a jacket and I find it very warm up here in Canada :lol

as Bootlegger137 said it all depends on how "screen accurate" you want to be

I should have some more pics this time next week (got a Con next weekend). I'll post them in this thread. Meanwhile, there are a couple of pics I posted earlier in the thread (page 1).

My Abbyshot Harkness coat arrived last week and I'm incredibly pleased. The quality is really superb, the material is fantastic, and I knew going in that a couple of easy mods would be needed.

YES the top two buttons are positioned totally wrong for some bizarre reason. The good news is the button holes are not... so once the top two are repositioned for accuracy, the coat WILL button up properly. As shipped, the top two buttons and button holes DO NOT line up at all. A quick and easy fix ;-)

Ordered the accurate rank braid from the 'bay last week, and I'm also having the sleeves shortened about an inch for the same fit as the screen used coats. Once I have the alterations done, I'll post a pic.

Questions to the people who have bought/made this coat:

Are the buttons on the sleeves the same size as the ones on the front, or are there different sizes?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back