A world without sin: The Miranda Message Prop from Serenity (firefly)

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been working with 3 incredibly talented (and patient) members here to create one of the props that I have wanted since I first saw it. This has been a fantastic journey, and we are getting closer to having something to show everyone. The prop is the Miranda message disc and reader from the movie Serenity.

I couldn't wait to show this piece of the puzzle because it has been one of the more challenging parts to put together. I've only dabbled with the Arduino board a small amount, but with the help of Markus, it has come to life. Markus' help was absolutely fantastic. Thank you again for your patience as we spent hours and hours troubleshooting to get this perfect. Shout out to keelhauler for his measurements and photos of the real prop, as well as hours of research and combing over the finest of details on this prop. And to Laubi for his amazing prototype and detailed design work. This has been a true collaborative effort from 4 members here.

With a press of a momentary type button (the prop being placed onto the hard drive reader will trigger these events like in the movie) the two servo motors will move the arms into place and connect the disc to the reader. A blue LED will light when the arms connect and an mp3 file will play the Miranda message.

Here is how the hero prop worked:

Sorry for the large file, I wanted to show it in its entirety. Here is the first successful recording of the Miranda message. You will see that all of the events needed to make this screen accurate have been worked through:

Last edited:
Meh. Get back to us when you’ve figured out how to get it to show the video. Lol. JK. This is fantastic! Seriously amazing work. Cannot wait to see all this functioning in the prop. Epic.

Meh. Get back to us when you’ve figured out how to get it to show the video. Lol. JK. This is fantastic! Seriously amazing work. Cannot wait to see all this functioning in the prop. Epic.
Ha! Don't think that I haven't been planning that out. We need to get the hologram tech up to speed.

Huge thanks also to keel. His help on nailing this prop has been invaluable. Thanks man!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back