Suggestion A section for tools/techniques

stormtrooperguy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
One of the things I'm most interested in is HOW people build replicas.

Roto casting, matrix molds, vacuum forming, machining, etc...

Right now that sort of gets lumped into the replica props forum.

Do you think it would be worth adding a section dedicated to this sort of thing?

Basically, less about what you are building and more about how you build it.

Re: A section for tools/techinques

Not a bad idea.... the issue, as with so many things comes into whether or not something goes into the prop forum or the techniques forum. I am liking the idea.

I think it would depend on what you are showing off. If you are showing off the thing you are making, it would go in the prop forum. If you are showing off the technique or tools it would go in the whatever-it-would-be-called forum :)

I'm thinking of, say, the build thread clonesix did about his rotocaster. The point there was more the machine than the helmets.

I'm going to be posting up about my vac former that I built, so that would be another thing that isn't really about any particular prop or costume, but could be helpful.

Sub-forums, then? If people are getting used to the new forum breakdown, then it may not be too tough for folks to head to, for example, Replica Movie Props and see Techniques along with Paper Props, and so on... I think the real fun though may be, do you then break down the 'techniques' even further?

I can see that some posters may not know if it should go in the main forum or sub-, but yeah, if the sub's thought of as generalized tutorials that may/may not involve working on an actual prop, costume, model, scratch-build, then folks'd find it easier to know where to drop their threads. (ahem)

Lots of possibilities come to mind.

+1 on the idea, I hope a way is worked up.

sub forums might be good there. i'm a big fan of them, but i know the opinion in general is mixed. people either love 'em or hate 'em.

sounds like a great idea, it would be nice to have a special section to refer to when trying to make something.
also it might get more people building and expose some new hidden talent.

Hm, the way I understand most people approach wikis is as a means to weed out BS and try to get down to a single 'answer' to a problem or process or 'just the facts'... in a tutorials/techniques forum I think you'd want to avoid that being the sole mindset, allowing the author to say 'Here's how I do this' without worrying over right or wrong approaches.

Some false starts could be avoided sure by saying 'Yeah, for this, you WANT to do it like THAT or you blow a hole in your kitchen wall and get a nasty divorce and lose the cats', though encouraging experimentation and alternate means of doing things (instead of the community trying to whittle a process down to a set means) would be the goal, yeah?

Or am I completely off my rocker here?

:)

yeah, i think there's a difference between this idea and what you'd have in a wiki.

a wiki would be more "this is what rotocasting is" vs. 3-4 people showing how each of them rotocasts, and the ensuing discussions.

Material, tools and Methods section

It seems as if a section for the way people make props or costumes would be a good addition, it would be a better place to post workflows or questions on how to achieve different results.

my 2 cents

Tommy

We did this at TDH and it has always just been an odd-ball forum. I love the idea but the implementation is tough because there is rarely a thread with techniques that is devoid of subject matter that would apply to either the prop, costume or model forum. We have a couple of ideas about how this might be effectively achieved but it would not be through the addition of another forum.

I'd like it so we could talk about tools if something goes wrong or better ways to use them. Our bandsaw loves breaking blades so i'd love to ask about that.

Well, ask away. If you post something like that in the general modeling forum, or even the OT, someone will help you.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back