A question about Hitch's "Rear Window"

CTF

Sr Member
Why the **** didn't "Jeff" snap some photos of Thorwald doing all that suspicious stuff? I mean, he was already using his camera to keep an eye on him across the courtyard.

Some Peeping Tom he is!

My first thought would be that the camera wouldn't have picked up anything of value without a flash.

Well, yeah, a flash is redundant across that kind of distance; but there were plenty of opportunities for him to take photos with good light.

ISO at that time was pretty limited... shooting into a space with not a lot of light. Heck, even today shooting at night is challenging and I have a Nikon D300.

Why the **** didn't "Jeff" snap some photos of Thorwald doing all that suspicious stuff? I mean, he was already using his camera to keep an eye on him across the courtyard.

The better question is why didn't he pay less attention to Thorwald and more attention to the most beautiful woman in the world who was doing her best to seduce him? :wacko

That one's got an easy answer. :angel

Oh no....

n38885133323_3907.jpg

ISO at that time was pretty limited... shooting into a space with not a lot of light.

Um actually, Ansel Adams's "zone system" would have worked. Expose for the shadows.. develop for the highlights.

It would screw over the rest of the roll if the rest of the exposures were shot in bright light.

:cool

Well, out of all the answers, those are plausible. But there's one possibility that many may not have thought of: Maybe Jeff didn't have any film in his apartment. Remember, he was in a leg cast for at least a month at most a few months. So, instead of having rolls of film lying around that could potentially expire and be useless to him, he probably sold off whatever unused stock he had to a couple of friends (we know he has some, especially with Doyle) or didn't order any new rolls of film like he normally would if he hadn't broke his leg.

Having to read the original short story by Cornell Woolrich, I don't recall the photographer aspect being in the actual short story. The binoculars is there, but I don't recall the character in the short having a camera. But then again, it's been years since I last read it.

Some Peeping Tom he is!

I can't remember, did he even really have any golden opportunities to catch Thorwald doing anything incriminating?

I can't remember, did he even really have any golden opportunities to catch Thorwald doing anything incriminating?

No, and that's why it wouldn't matter. All he saw was that the wife disappeared, and Thorwald did some gardening. Photos wouldn't prove anything beyond the description of 'suspicious activity'. Thorwald most likely did the knife work in the bathtub as suggested in the film, which wasn't visible to Jeff; and his suspicions came after it was done anyway. There just wasn't anything to take pics of.

Rear Window is one of the most perfect films ever made. Every word of dialog pushes the story along, even the patter between Jeff and Stella all comes true.

"Marry her!"
"Trouble. I smell trouble"

Something to watch for: In the first sweeping look at the apartment complex, a flash can be seen in the windows of the sunbather's digs. I've always wondered what was being photographed up there!

Also, I am not 100% sure, but I think the shot of the helicopter is one used in When Worlds Collide. We know its a comp since the set was onstage, so it makes sense to use an existing shot of the copter to save money!

Scott

It's definitely great, and I love watching it, but I prefer a lot of Hitch's other work over it (Frenzy, The Man Who Knew Too Much, North by Northwest and Vertigo are my favourites).

When Thorwald came to attack him, why didn't Jeff just use that flash as it was meant to be used?

Lightsaber! duh!! ;)

I love Hitchcock films. They improve with age and rewatching!

I think the flashes are meant to tell us the girls are models of a certain sort... ;)

The helicopter we also know to be a comp because it's a horrible mismatch of movement.

Yes it's a great movie. Another perfect "small context" movie he did was Dial M for Murder. He tossed it off without breaking a sweat for something to do between projects, but it is beautifully done.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back