A Possible Plasma Caster

Tatsu

While checking out some old e-mail links in my inbox I recieved word about a very powerful 1 Watt blue Laser Pointer called the Spyder S3 Arctic, I'm not plugging Wicked Lasers, but this video makes it worthwhile to watch & the laser itself looks very much like a plasma caster. As someone who's somewhat knowledgable about Lasers, this isn't one you want to take to Comic-Con. To give you an Idea of how dangerous this would be to someone's eyes - most lasers mounted in the Bios of your guys' helmets is likely 5mW - 5 100th's of a watt - I own an 80mW green laser capable of etching burn marks into black materials & black plastic. this 1 Watt blue laser is capable of doing very very serious damage if you take a direct beam to the eye - likely permanent damage.

I can't stress enough just how careful you have to be with lasers. Hers' the vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-SduY4A2kE

Now see how come we can get that power in red?

Not sure, you'd think they would since Red actually costs less & requires less components than Blue or Green, that site just hasn't made a 1W red, they do have a 200mW for $50 which is very good considering years ago they were $300.

Yes, had a good look at this laser and yes they are real, but it isn't good for a plasma caster because you have a high chance of pointing it and it reflecting off a surface and blinding someone at a short distance and nine times out of ten, it will be yourself! .... try putting a laser pointer on your shoulder and see what I mean! ..... very cool device but should really be used for laser research only!

Yes, had a good look at this laser and yes they are real, but it isn't good for a plasma caster because you have a high chance of pointing it and it reflecting off a surface and blinding someone at a short distance and nine times out of ten, it will be yourself! .... try putting a laser pointer on your shoulder and see what I mean! ..... very cool device but should really be used for laser research only!

I never meant for this to be used outside of the house, yes these are ok research pointers, but most hobbyists buy these for shows, sky-pointing or burning objects. I can't stress enough to use Eye saftey with yourself or others around. It'd be ok as a caster, but not ideal, afterall the casters were known for launching spheres of plasma, not laser beams, just an idea though.

yeah, all good dude, hey you can always build what I'm building? ... a paintball caster! ...hahahaha, at least it launches something physical! ... checkout my posts, you'll see what I mean! ...cheers

yeah, all good dude, hey you can always build what I'm building? ... a paintball caster! ...hahahaha, at least it launches something physical! ... checkout my posts, you'll see what I mean! ...cheers

Blue paint-balls with the firing sound-effect in the Gauntlet sounding everytime :p Actually if you could find a way to remote fire the gun & hide the canister & the hopper & all the other pieces of the gun, it'd make a very cool, yet dangerous (like the laser) Caster.

Blue paint-balls with the firing sound-effect in the Gauntlet sounding everytime :p Actually if you could find a way to remote fire the gun & hide the canister & the hopper & all the other pieces of the gun, it'd make a very cool, yet dangerous (like the laser) Caster.

Yep, sure have, used an old paintball marker I had, mounted on some secondhand motor x armour, re-piped, remade and redesigned everything to fit on the armour, complete with laptop, battery, paintball loader, air bottle ... etc all designed to go under the armour I will be building .... as well as on board camera and 3D video glasses mounted in the pred helmet... wicked stuff dude!

stupid question but what are those made for anyway, cool as hell though,literally a mini lightsaber

To be bluntly honest? Burning ****. Yes, these laser hobbyists will take these lasers and light matches, Cigars, Cigarettes, cut black electrical tape with a weight on it, pop balloons. Though they are very useful if you've got the right equipment, gyros & computer programs, they can be used as like laser spirograph type shows. If you can do that, if you had the time & the smarts, you could literally animate movies with nothing but an extremely fast moving laser.

Most other times, they're just used as pointers, but that 1 Watt laser would be a very very dangerous pointer. I still think it'd be awesome to use on a caster at home, but at a public place, especially a Comic-con, it'd be dangerous & if you hit someone's eye, you might as well just rip your suit off & give it to them to try & pay their medical bills.

To give you guys a scale of how dangerous this is. Most Red Bio lasers are 5 Milliwatts (mW) I have a green 80mW capable of lighting matches. 1 Watt of any laser - you better have eye protection :lol: :cry: Otherwise you'll end up doing this :p

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back