A Glitch in teh Matrix -A ReBoot Guardian Keytool Build

Snarkticon

I finally cracked open my wallet and bought a 3D-printed Glitch from Shapeways, designed by the RPF's own Technoboots (See his original thread here).

It was delivered by UPS to my garage door (which I thought was odd. Why leave it there instead of my front door?) yesterday and when I got home from work I opened the box and got right to work!

Glitch1_zpse7cd2067.jpg

As is common with 3D printing, the pieces have a grainy, striated surface. I didn't spring the extra $3 for the "polished" version.

Glitch2_zpsdfd322e9.jpg

Here are the individual pieces. You can see where I started with the glazing putty on the main box.

Glitch3_zpsbad1ba17.jpg

And everything glazed, ready for sanding.

Glitch4_zpsbcc6b6a3.jpg

And sanded. I used some 220 grit to gently knock off the surface glazing. I plan to do another coat of glazing and then wet sand with some 400 grit to get a nice smooth surface on all the parts.

I intend to use these parts to mold so I can have a resin copy to actually make my prop (Yes, I got Technoboot's permission to do so. He was very gracious about it.) The 3D printed material seems a little too soft and flexible to me to use for an actual replica, plus I'd like to make some other keytools with custom configurations and I don't want to modify or destroy the original to do so.

More progress to follow as the project moves along.

Last edited:
Re: A Glitch in teh Matrix -Guardian Keytool Build

Oh man, I LOVED that show! At first I thought you were talking about the movie The Matrix, but this is way, way better! The episodes where the computer would say "Game Over. User Wins." leaving a charred cube behind really freaked me out as a young kid. It made me want to purposely lose at the games I would play on my computer so the people inside could live. Ha! Thanks for posting this, looking forward to see how it turns out!

Ha! Thanks for posting this, looking forward to see how it turns out!

No worries, thanks for looking!

I probably won't be able to get more work done on this piece until Friday evening. Hopefully I might have a minute or two before then, but my evenings are pretty busy this week and I have some more pressing projects to finish for other people as well. :( But I plan to work on this during downtime between steps of those other projects.

Oh man I want one of these badly!!

Stayed tuned. I'm currently in talks with Technoboots who's asked me to do a short run of replicas as long as I'll be molding this anyway. No set timeline, though on account of the aforementioned projects taking priority.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, hen I got me copt I just went with the polished version and painted it. Looks like your copy has a better print orientation, mine wasdone at an odd angle.

Thanks. :) Funny, you'd think they would print them all the same?

Anyway, I did get some more work done on it last night. I put down another coat of glaze and sanded it down, then laid down a coat of primer paint. It's SO much smoother now than it was before! Bonehead me didn't take any pictures, though. I'll get some tonight after I get home.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back