A Conversation with Brian Muir

<div class='quotetop'></div>
And what was your impression?

I thought it was fantastic. It was before its time, really. We had never seen anything, I mean CGI or computer work, like that before. Immediately when the large spaceship came over everyone just started clapping. This is the crew that worked on it, and we all thought it was going to be a load of nonsense, but then immediately we thought it was a fantastic film. At the end of the film itself it got a standing ovation which is unheard of in crew showings really because to a point you take it all for granted.[/b]

That was cool to hear... especially after hearing how the English crew bagged on the production.

<div class='quotetop'>(BingoBongo275 @ Nov 17 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]1360049[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(apollo @ Nov 17 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]1359911[/snapback]
Seems like AA owes him a cut of the SDS Armour sales. :D
[/b]

Maybe thay could chat about it next weekend since theyre both at Mem :lol

Cheers

Jez
[/b][/quote]

:lol Well the least AA could do is buy him a few pints. :lol

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Nov 19 2006, 05:37 PM) [snapback]1361213[/snapback]</div>
I found it interesting how he used the same lexicon we do -- "tear ducts", "tusks", etcetera.
[/b]

Yes I think so too. I'm also quite suprised that he was the only acredited sculptor in the entire country at the time.

Vader's head is a very clever piece of sculpture, the 'skull' face is a dramatic desgn to start with but then Muir uses the facets of the face to reflect light and capture shadow really well. The deep hooded eyes making them very black, and the sharp grooves under the cheeks really bring out the features of the face. Painting portions grey ended up helping this for the camera of course but you see these same techniques in stone sculptures. (If you're into art and are in, or near London go and visit the Rodan exhibition. The Thinker and The Kiss are incredible seen in person).

It's easy to see the trained sculptor's influence in Vader's face, and I doubt it would have worked so well had it been made by someone simply trying to transform Macquarrie's 2D sketch into a "sci-fi baddie."

Jeremy
(No art critic, but he knows what he likes.)

Thanks for the comments, guys. I think Brian picked up a bit of that lexicon in the course of our discussions :lol

Good idea, Nick, about the space jockey interview...perhaps one on Alien in general.

Thanks, Jez, your ground-breaking interview with Brian last year was definitely an inspiration.

AntWayne, be sure to bring your helmet along to the convention and I'm sure Brian will sign it for you :).

Excellent critique, Jeremy. I completely agree about the face of Vader. I think that's what makes it unique, it is a face. The very slight asymmetry gives it that quality and character. If it was perfectly symmetrical it would be more like a robot IMHO. Keep in mind that when Brian sculpted it, he had no idea they would add the gunmetal highlights.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
We re-created two sets of the Planet of the Apes set, that originally took a year to produce in the USA, in about six days in polystyrene. [/b]

I'd love to hear more about that. Recreated for what production? One of the sequels? The TV series?

No problem Sithlord, I'm glad the contact information I was able to give you enabled you to conduct such a well-rounded interview.

However its the fact that you are prepared to share this information with everyone here is actually the most rewarding aspect. It begs the question whether other self-prochlaimed authorities would have done likewise. I doubt it

Cheers

Jez

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Nov 20 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]1361998[/snapback]</div>
We re-created two sets of the Planet of the Apes set, that originally took a year to produce in the USA, in about six days in polystyrene. [/b]

I'd love to hear more about that. Recreated for what production? One of the sequels? The TV series?
[/b]

The last Planet of the Apes production decided to change the ending. The main actor, Mark Wahlberg, was in France working on another film so they built the sets at Pinewood so that he could fly over and reshoot the final scenes.

The crashed spaceship and the interior had to be reconstructed.

Brian had a team of 20 sculptors and the controlling sculptor from the film in America. It was completed in 7 very long days.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back