A Bevy of New (Budget) Trek Props

Mr. Nagata

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally got around to building up a few kits I've had sitting in the closet (and a few scratch-builds I've been meaning to do) No screen-used "Enterprise" scanners here, but some decent stuff nonetheless. And I didn't pay an arm and a leg for any of it. So put that in your pipe and smoke it Matt, while you eat instant Ramen with your precious scanner (I'm kidding, of course. I'm still insanely jealous of you)

First up, a "First Contact" phaser. $28. Not an MR piece by any means, but it looks good with a decent paint job and it's more than sufficient for my collection.

Next, a TNG Type III phaser rifle. I always wanted one of these. $95 for second quality castings from the maker. First quality castings were significantly more expensive. So I had to do a bit more cleanup, but the finished product came out pretty good.

Kind of a funny one here, but I always loved the TOS episode "The Enemy Within." It's William Shatner at his hammiest. So I painted up a Saurian Brandy bottle. This probably cost $15 in the end.

Mark X Medical tricorder. I don't remember how much I paid for this kit, but it was pretty inexpensive. Good kit, easy buildup. I was never a big fan of the Mark X's, but I had to have at least one in the collection.

Last up, a scratch-built TNG engineering PADD. Built from materials I already had, so pretty much a free prop. I don't see many of these around. I tried to make it as accurate to the screen-used prop as possible.

You know looking at that PADD makes me wonder were Apple got the idea for the ipod.

Edit: Now if someone could modify an ipod to look like a PADD that would be awesome. - Yeah sometimes I suprise myself

-Deric

Nice rifle. I've been coveting one of those for many years. VERY sweet engeneering padd. Do the LEDS light? I love the circuit board section. Is that your own addition or did the origional have it too?

Jay

Originally posted by Deric@Apr 2 2006, 01:24 PM
You know looking at that PADD makes me wonder were Apple got the idea for the ipod. 

Edit: Now if someone could modify an ipod to look like a PADD that would be awesome. - Yeah sometimes I suprise myself

-Deric
[snapback]1217939[/snapback]​

Interesting point,and interestingly enough, an episode of TNG ultimately proved to be the inspiration for the ipod, an a a number of technologies that lead up to it. I saw this all on a discovery channel program (or maybe it was sci-fi) named
"How trekkies changed the world" or somthing like that. There was an episode where data was listening to three symphonies simultaneouslly on the computer. Some dude at Apple saw this, and thougt that it would be a great idea to have music on a hard drive. The rest fell into place after that.

That aside, PS2K, those are some NICE props dude. I really like the rilfe too. looks great. And all came in at fantastic prices. Double whammy dude. Love the red padd the best though. That's not one you see built up every day. Excellent work.

I don't have anything in the pipeline at the moment, so this round goes to you :)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back