8-D-8 Droid head build Version 2.0 ---- NECK/BASE PICS POST#43

The grills overhang the front side plates on both sides of the head, i will put a small fillet under those to support the thin cross section of the grills,

it can be left as is or removed with a file or dremel.
if i leave it without they will just snap off especially taking it out of the mold. i certainly don't want to make the plates larger so they don't overhang cause i'm down with the droids dawg.
yOOPmpW.jpg

the dark dot above the rear plate is a blob to represent the blob of paint on the real droid head

Holy cow, nice work!!

I also always found this guy creepy as eff. The deep-set eyes, I think, have something to do with it.

Can't wait to see it done!

i kinda jumped a few steps and didn't take enough snaps, sorry.
all grills installed, dents and dings added, the rear of the eye sockets i moved down approx 5mm
the end of the nose i made more angular as it was a little shallow.........anyhoo
silicone got degassed for the initial 2 layers
SjvPSAz.jpg

8u0D4rZ.jpg

tilted him back to fill the eye sockets with coat 2
W7oB7Dl.jpg

i added a further 8-10mm of thixo silicone layers to build up the wall thickness,
then took him outside to to my tiny work area, the first of the mother mold shells waiting to cure
this is where he is at right now. gel coat-fiberglass layer-gel coat
other half tomorrow.........
A6FuI4s.jpg

i hope to have a casting by the weekend if it all goes well.

:)

Last edited:
got the mold sorted out today, just finishing up the silicone plug for the square hole on top. i have to make my molds a different way now as i have a behemoth of a rotocasting machine, i can't use it at the moment due to lack of space, but anyway here it is. ill just hand cast it for now. this is about 6 days work. did i ever tell you i hate making molds?
73NBKhk.jpg

FRNe2oE.jpg

Brilliant Work Chris. I had 3D modeled this chap late last year and it took me a whole month just on the head and another month and a half on the body. It is just so decieving. My first attempt made the face too shallow and the back too deep. I could prob still spend another month and still would not be happy :)

Brilliant Work Chris. I had 3D modeled this chap late last year and it took me a whole month just on the head and another month and a half on the body. It is just so decieving. My first attempt made the face too shallow and the back too deep. I could prob still spend another month and still would not be happy :)

its not as easy as it looks, get one angle wrong and it throws the rest out.

i forgot to show the eyes, they are 2 separate sculpts, this is how you see them looking at the droid. the right one is larger and slightly different shape, the groove on each eye is different also, i've tried to replicate this as close as possible, there is also a tiny dent or groove on the lower right one which i need to add.
i have aluminium tube that is inserted onto the hole and a warm white flat top led inside that.
hope to have a head cast tomorrow if all goes well.
HgTvUiS.jpg

this is the master head from which the above mold was taken
0ZY3A8l.jpg

smooth as a babies.......

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back