677 scale Equinox and Rhode.....

Underdog

Sr Member
Island models in scale with the Revell Monogram Voyager....

I started these builds some time ago and I'm getting close to finishing the Equinox / Nova Class, so I thought I would start showing the beginning of the process and work through to the end. As soon as the Equinox is done, I'm going to convert the second cast into the Rhode Island. It's all started with a set of blueprints and a card model. much like the 350th TOS Enterprise.

I really enjoy handcrafting and handsculpting starships. There's something in the irony of it that makes me laugh. To handcraft something that is essentially the epitomy of technology is a pure joy.

It's really nice to have a forum to actually be able to post my work. I've worked on so many things the last few years and have had virtually no where but facebook to show my work. I put together a couple of different websites and two different forums and everyone of them got hacked....???

You can see that I created templates directly from the blueprints when I got to the point where I had sculpt things down to a correct and accurate shape.
I was working on this at the same time that I was working on the 50" Refit parts to take and display at WonderFest 09. I was reworking the masters for the 350th TOS Enterprise at the same time. I think this was about the time I started working on the 350th Akira.

As you can see below, I came up with a thin profile part to attach everything to, but before I started assembling all of the components into one complete ship, I decided to cast all of the individual parts, so that I had copies, for the Rhode Island base parts. I mixed 100% silicone caulk with naptha, mixed thoroughly and poured over the parts, after I had glued them to .010 styrene with elmers glue to hold them in place, yet make it easy to remove the parts and the silicone mix. I then poured patching plaster over the silicone to make a casting vessel. What do you think? Nifty huh? I used vaseline between the silicone and the parts for easy demolding. Easy peasy home mold making.
Not bad for a feller that don't know nuttin.... LOL! :lol

When I started this scratch build, I did as I always do, I did my research first. I went around the net and looked at every version of the Nova-Class i.e. Equinox and gathered up all of the information I could about this particular craft. Lucky for me, I saw Rich Sternbach @ WonderFest 08, when he gave his lecture. I asked him at the time about the whole *accuracy* issue and explained that I had found so many differing references. I also asked him if the "Federation" designs were based, more, or less, on existing Naval vessels, in that there were regular modular change-outs and "refits." He pretty much agreed that there were issues with a lot of the accuracy issues between models of the same ship, but that since he had deigned the Equinox, he had the final say. I liked that, I really did. At any rate, I ran into Rick later that day and he offered to send me a copy of his blueprints. I thought that was awful nice of him. Since he was kind enough to make the offer and he was the designer, I decided to disregard what I had collected and moved to create my model to be true to his original design.

I couldn't wait, so I took the print's of Rick's design that I found online and started working them out for myself. You only see the beginning of the process in the last two photos. As always, much more to come.

Last edited:
Your killing me..
I need more time,more money,more space and more... and more......LOL

You rock man..

Well, Paul, I haven't got to the rapid prototyped version yet. I took this to Wonderfest 09 with the 50 Refit and the vendor I was working with kind of turned his nose up at it, so I had one rapid prototyped and matched them up one to the other and guess what? I was right on target. I'll show the complete set of prints later on in the thread.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back