50 cal. Machine gun....not a movie prop, but a prop none-the-less

PTK

welp, obviously this wasn't in any movie or anything. Just a prop i built back in college. Let me know what you think

It's a 5'4", 50 pound, shoulder-slung 50 caliber machine gun. When you pull the trigger it really ejects 50 caliber shells out the side, and has CO2 powered blowback action for the cocking handle (yeah i know real 50s don't have blowback like that but i thought it looked cool) the blowback is so powerful . It has a weight on an offset cam that shakes the gun when fired and it has the option of propane adapter instead of co2 and the exhaust ports of the valve run down to the barrel with an electronic grill lighter.....but i've never had the balls to try it with propane, in fear of dying or burning my beloved 50 ;)

It obviously isn't supposed to be based on a real M2 or anything, i was going mor for a post apocalyptic Mad Max type of feel........like it was ripped off of a jep and modified and pieced together.

Here's a pic:

GunPicFinal.jpg

and my girlfriend is a photographer so we did a few photoshoots with some friends of ours..
kerihotsmall.jpg

Cropped1small.jpg

trenchsmallmikeangry.jpg

NeoMike.jpg

lookatthatmuscle.jpg

Gun07.jpg

BestOneRedidded.jpg

Kat11.jpg

here's a pic of the guts:
Gun01.jpg

and here's a slideshow/videos:
PTK's 50 cal

Last edited:
That is awesome! Very good work! What's it powered by?

the shell ejection is powered by a cordless drill motor and some rechargable batteries, and attatched to the chamber that ejects the shell is a gear with a tooth for every shell chamber, so every time a shell is ejected, the gear teeth tap a momentary contact switch that goes to a solenoid valve that reverses the direction of the CO2 (form a 9oz paintball co2 tank) which activates the slide causing the blowback action

oh, and as for materials:
main barrel is gas pipe
flash hider is a straight gas pipe connector and part of a beer keg tap
barrel shroud is abs pipe with acrylic spacers inside
main body is wood, with black acrylic cover panels
ammo door is aluminum
front sight, clean internal ejection gears are laser cut acrylic
main bullet chamber is pvc pipe
cocking handle is aluminum,
cocking handle slide is a drawer pull/slider
bullet shells are real 50 cal brass
bullet tips are cnc lathed aluminum (i wanted bigger, longer, pointier bullets than real 50 cal ammo)
and a bunch of misc hardware, bolts, handles, screws, switches, pneumatic cylinder, batteries, etc

That's just damn incredible...and beautifully planned and built! Well done!

-sctcarts

thanks sctcarts!......bt beautifully planned? certainly not! ;) i would do it 100% differently if i had to redo it, (especially a welded steel frame and aluminum panels instead of the thick wood and acrylic i used)....very little planning involved, i was just really excited and motivated, i built the mechanisms first and once i had all of those working, i built the frame to accommodate that......pretty bass ackwards design ;) but thanks very much for the kind words!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back