5 Foot Falcon - cockpit greeblies - anyone with reference photos?

At least it would be possible to add the missing parts when (and if) the originals are 'discovered' later.

RE: the question about building a 5-footer replica: anyone attempting one is faced with building it from scratch like the original ILM modelers did as there is no kit for it. There isn't even a blueprint in an integrated form, though all the basics can be found here (and probably elsewhere.) Maruska has constructed a highly accurate 3D "form" model of the 5-footer (that is, less external details.) Though modern techniques have leveraged the ongoing research & documentation efforts to create needed components (for example, there are some parts available for purchase from 3D printing markeplace Shapeways - again, the efforts of another RPF member - at the 308 shop.)

So short answer, there is no kit for a 5 footer. Realistically, just how many folks could afford or even accommodate a displayable 5-footer? It must be made from scratch.

R/ Robert

thats unreal. It's amazing how talented and dedicated model guys are. I always loved the "snap together" or "glue together" kits growing up. i thought there was nothing cooler. Then i started seeing guys who scratch build these magnificent models...and in their garages for fun. Im so impressed by it that I actually want to try doing one some day. Id love a 5 foot falcon. I was considering buying the 3' one ( i think deagostino?) just because its so cool. And even then i found people on this forum who produce upgrade parts for it to make it better. Truly inspired by you guys. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question

thats unreal. It's amazing how talented and dedicated model guys are. I always loved the "snap together" or "glue together" kits growing up. i thought there was nothing cooler. Then i started seeing guys who scratch build these magnificent models...and in their garages for fun. Im so impressed by it that I actually want to try doing one some day. Id love a 5 foot falcon. I was considering buying the 3' one ( i think deagostino?) just because its so cool. And even then i found people on this forum who produce upgrade parts for it to make it better. Truly inspired by you guys. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question

The 5-footer MF is a bit of a Holy Grail because it's so large & difficult. AFAIK nobody (in the individual hobbyist world) has completed a build much larger than the 32-inch stunt model of the MF yet. Several 5-footer size builds have been researched, a few have been started, but none is near finished.

I think a MF model that was the size of the 32" stunt model, but matching the 5-footer in all details, might be a more popular kit than a true 5-footer. (But neither one is viable in the commercial mass production sense.)

Interesting coincidence:

If you built a 5-footer replica, and you gave it a full replica interior set inside, the interior would be perfectly scaled for the classic SW action figures. I mean EXACTLY right.

The exterior of that model wouldn't really match the action figures however. It would be too big. The "full scale" exterior shells in the movies were noticeably smaller than the soundstage interior sets.

Last edited:
I totally forgot about Maruska's thread here (how could I):

MF_Cockpit-FullScale_12.53-1024x576.jpg
MF_Cockpit-FullScale_12.69-1024x576.jpg
MF_Cockpit-Console_13.231-1024x576.jpg

J

Maruska's work is magnificent, but I am a little puzzled where that recessed octagon in the front lower right comes from. I haven't seen it anywhere else, though it does look good.

Examination of more behind the scenes shots reveals blurry cropped little teases of front panel greeblies!

uU07hIu.jpg*x3YwBzY.jpgq47ZOV3.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back