3D Printing

Draven

Just a couple of quick questions I need to ask about the 3D Printing process...

1, How smooth is the printed finish? For example if I sent a CAD file of a tube, would it be smooth like a tube, or stepped?

2, Can you sand the printed prototype?

3, How hard are the printed prototypes? Could they sustain a trip in the post even if well packed?

4, If it did break, can it be worked with glue and filler?

If you know the answers to the above, please post, or if you have access to a machine, please PM me.

Thanks.

Merry Christmas. :cheers

Draven

Thanks for the replies.

Those are exactly the types of links I was looking for.

That ebay "auction" is actually the one that cased me to post here as I was sure that I could get a fellow member to offer a cheaper rate?

Thanks again.

Draven

hi draven,

below is my snout detail prototype i did using cad and got tyler to print off.

[/QUOTE]1, How smooth is the printed finish? For example if I sent a CAD file of a tube, would it be smooth like a tube, or stepped?
The tube would represent a finish like sand paper, but i would recoment you export your cad file into 3ds and then insert it back into cad to make sure you get a smouth tube as sometimes the conversion into 3ds from cad can get blocky

yes you can with wet and dry

3, How hard are the printed prototypes? Could they sustain a trip in the post even if well packed?

the prototypes are quite strong, nearly as strong as resin. but this would depend the model ie. small thin parts could break whilst postage and would depend on how well the part is posted to you.

it a part cleanly breaks off you could drill and pin the part but if it breaks badly it might be hard to visualy conceal the break once glued or filled due to the surface texture.

BSNOUT%20025.jpg

if you need any info PLMK as im also based in the uk

Hi Draven, here are some quick answers that I've discovered on my RP journy.

Just a couple of quick questions I need to ask about the 3D Printing process...

1, How smooth is the printed finish? For example if I sent a CAD file of a tube, would it be smooth like a tube, or stepped?

If you subdivide the polygons (usually for organinc models) you can get it pretty smooth and not stepped.

Yes. But it is important to point out that for some type of RP machines, you dont need to. The grainy effect on some RP models is from a Zcorp RP machine, as seen on 3darttopart, but I've used ones where it is done by laser and it comes out much smoother and is much more accurate.

Yes, unless you hollow out the inside. Reason being, RP companies usually charge by weight so people reduce the inside of the model.

Usually yes

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the extra info guys.

Sorry for the late "thanks", but I didn't subscribe to my own thread and didn't think anyone else would post.

Cheers.

Draven

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back