3D Printed Zorg ZF1

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by AGFRX7, Jun 6, 2015.

1. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Hey Everyone. I downloaded the Zorg ZF-1 shared on Thingiverse.com and figured I'd give it a shot. I learned that there are some things that are missing in the parts list but are included on the complete 3D model. I have been posting images on my instagram ( #aaronsarmory ) account and facebook page,but I figured that it's time that I share my progress here on the RPF

It takes about 92 pieces to put one of these together... and nearly 4 spools of 2kg filament.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  2. MWiggs

MWiggs Well-Known Member

NO WAY! That's fantastic! That's MY model from GrabCAD! I knew that looked familiar!
    https://grabcad.com/library/zorg-zf-1-1
    Someone must have uploaded it to Thingiverse for printing! Looks pretty good! Did you print it yourself or have it done somewhere? Do the parts fit together well? what scale did you print it at? Wow sorry I'm excited! I havent had the means to print one of these myself yet but it's on my to-do list.

Your finish work is looking incredible! Can't wait to see progress/completion on this!

How much you want to print a copy for me??

AGFRX7 likes this.
  3. Neolun

Neolun New Member

Omg! very interessted too. Thats a killer prop!

4. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

More progress on the accessories

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433872067.406383.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Let me first off say, thank you for rendering this gun. I've wanted it forever. The fella who converted it to 3d printable is John Wieger who operates the pepakura library group on Facebook. I'm not sure what scale he changed it to but it looks and feels about the proper size. I'm printing this at home on my makerbot replicator and it's taken about 3-4 spools of 2kg filament... it's a lot of gun lol. There are things that I will need to fix... like the rear portion of the gun is too wide and intersects with the vertical frame in the 3d model... so after I install the frame, I'll need to cut off sections so it'll fit and actually end up being part of the structure.

I wasn't planning on making any kits or anything because folks can buy a kit out there for $600 from Studio Creations, but since you're the artist who rendered it, PM me if you're interested.

Thank you for the compliments btw. I do my best.

6. MWiggs

MWiggs Well-Known Member

What did you use to smooth out the surfaces?? I just did a print myself on another project I'm doing (on a friends home-built printer) and the surface was a pain to try and get smooth.

7. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

I start off with 220 wet sanding to remove the lines, or I used Smooth-on XTC resin for other parts. Afterwards I used sandable filler primer, then used 320 wet sanding. Any other spot that still had lines, I used spot filler putty, sanded and then spray filler primer to seal. After that, it depended on the kind of finish I was going for (flat, satin, gloss, mirror). I would wet sand going from 320 all the way up to 1200 depending on the part. It's lots of steps but it allows you to really transform the object into whatever you want it to look like.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Cameron and Sean like this.
  8. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

All the parts are painted and ready to be assembled. Just waiting for the rocket decals and the blow torch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434063521.370577.jpg

Dugzor likes this.
  9. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Flamethrower assembled
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434132291.336891.jpg

10. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Got the frame attached to the lower half last night, but had to stop because it was 1 am and I had to be at work by 8

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434132352.650642.jpg

Dugzor likes this.
  11. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

More progress. Main weapons attached to the front and screen detail is added

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434383765.886895.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434383776.890713.jpg

MattgomeryBurns likes this.
  12. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

More progress

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434412204.117131.jpg

13. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Fully assembled. Just need to order the Estes rocket for the decals and install the LED for the red button

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434439058.529549.jpg

14. duality

duality Active Member

Wow this build is amazing. MWiggs that's a great model too. The print and finish are incredible. The paint job is amazing. Just all around beautiful. I never would have guessed this was a home printer. Real piece of art.

AGFRX7 likes this.
  15. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Wow - now I know pretty much anything is possible!

AGFRX7 likes this.
  16. MWiggs

MWiggs Well-Known Member

*Slow dramatic clapping*
    That is truly spectacular! Beautiful work! Your finish work and paint job absolutely brings that thing to life! Kudos my friend you have accomplished something incredible.

What kind of printer do you use? :)
    And how did you get the logo and lettering on the screen? I need to add some text like that to my build and have no clue how to start.

AGFRX7 likes this.
  17. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

I swiped a screen shot of the little screen and sized it accordingly. I use a makerbot replicator 2.

Also, thank you to everyone for the compliments. I worked very hard at getting the finish to look right.

18. MWiggs

MWiggs Well-Known Member

But how did you transfer it to the surface? Is it a decal, just printed and glued?

19. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Color laser printer and then used spray adhesive... Basically made my own sticker

20. MattgomeryBurns

MattgomeryBurns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Kudos! Excellent work!

AGFRX7 likes this.
  21. bothanspy

bothanspy Sr Member

Excellent! My holy Grail of 5th Element prop ... I want one ;)

AGFRX7 likes this.
  22. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Thank you to the RPF for spotlighting this build!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435090561.693233.jpg

23. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great!

-Rylo

AGFRX7 likes this.
  24. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS ! I SOOOO agree!!!!

25. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Adding the details
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435900228.817121.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435900236.749772.jpg

26. joberg

joberg Master Member

Whooot:eek:cool And it's resin/plastic...wow! Excellent job, the paint is A+...Pro-prop all around!

AGFRX7 likes this.
  27. Simple

Simple Well-Known Member

Wow! I had no idea this was on Thingiverse, but I grabbed it for printing.

C

28. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

The free file is not complete and some customizing needs to be done to get certain things to fit properly. But all that said, it's still an amazing render and has allowed me to make one of my dream props.

29. Johnnyfl

Johnnyfl Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Its a......its a.......its a.........its a..........Zorg ZF1!! Excellent work, fantastic build, truly impressive, well done :thumbsup

AGFRX7 likes this.
  30. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Rubber trim added only thing left to do is add the led to the little red button
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436030236.944855.jpg

31. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Made a custom battery box
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436129263.364341.jpg

And wired it to the led in the little red button. The image makes it seem much brighter for some reason. Either way, it is done!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436129324.347781.jpg

32. joberg

joberg Master Member

And well done at that Sir:cool

AGFRX7 likes this.
  33. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Finally found time to get some beauty shots taken by my friends over at Surrealsister Photography. This is the first picture of the many more to come.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438028893.888157.jpg

34. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Got another from my photog
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438038095.413624.jpg

Mclabop likes this.
  35. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Just a couple more
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438038514.629968.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438038532.546815.jpg

ARKM likes this.
  36. Simple

Simple Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic!

C

AGFRX7 likes this.
  37. Mclabop

Mclabop Active Member

Want a beauty. Excellent work (the glam shots are excellent too)!

AGFRX7 likes this.
  38. joberg

joberg Master Member

Rub it in why don't ya:D I kid; truly incredible!

AGFRX7 likes this.
  39. MWiggs

MWiggs Well-Known Member

Absolutely a work of art! I have never seen it's equal! Bravo! You have more than done it justice.

AGFRX7 likes this.
  40. Usdapproved

Usdapproved New Member

Hey there, before I saw this post I too came across the Thingiverse files and dove in. So far I've printed quite a bit and I ordered the vacuform shell from the Superkrates guys (I hope it gets here in time). Any insight you can give me into any specific parts that you had to maybe come up with on your own, or tricks for assembly? I have a fair amount of pieces assembled, but haven't gotten to the major frame components yet. Any info is appreciated. I'll post my progress as I go, If I get something even close to what you have, I'll be ecstatic. I have basically the same setup as you, Makerbot 2, and it's been running day and night for the last two weeks. I also bought an airbrush, but still need to get some paints. Basically, I'm just going for it!

Great build btw, I feel a little less lonely knowing there's at least one other person put there who's done this (and been very successful I might add). If anyone has recommendations on airbrush paint brands or types to achieve the various metal looks, I appreciate any suggestions.

01.jpg 02.jpg

AGFRX7 likes this.
  41. Mobjack

Mobjack Member

Nice work. I may have to tackle that one myself.

42. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Looks great so far. You'll want to resize and chsnge the piece that mounts to the bottom. It's too large and not accurate. I also broke apart the frame differently. You may run into issues using the shell and the 3d files, so I hope you are prepared to do some custom fabrication.

43. Usdapproved

Usdapproved New Member

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I'd hoped using the shell would save time in not having to print a lot of pieces, glue them, etc. So I guess we'll see, hopefully everything isn't too far off. Looks like a trip to Home Depot may be in order for some odds and ends to assemble this thing. I too ended up recombining a lot of the frame pieces so they weren't so cut up (after printing one side and realizing how much of a pita getting that assembled would be). Seems to have worked so far. Lots of epoxy and maybe a little fiberglass in my future. Also first time using smooth-on, but it looks promising.

As far as the bottom piece, do you have any kind of measurement for that (or percentage you scaled it down)? Thanks in advance.

Another frame piece, main gun assembled:

FullSizeRender2.jpg FullSizeRender1.jpg

44. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Took the zf1 with me to salt lake comic con this last month. Got to show it off during my cosplay and 3D printing panel. While at the con, I was able to buy a little zorg pop figure to add to my display when I got back home.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444603915.661318.jpg

MattgomeryBurns likes this.
  45. Usdapproved

Usdapproved New Member

Just got my box from the superkrates guys. If anyone was thinking of ordering the shell they sell, this is what you get. Haven't tried fitting anything to it yet to see how well that will work, but at least it's a nice piece anyway. I obviously have some cutting to do as well. They were really friendly and the guy I spoke to, Jeff, was always quick to get back to me and helpful. I'll let you folks know if it works, it will save a lot of printing time if it does.
    superkrates.jpg

46. Usdapproved

Usdapproved New Member

Ok, so after a massive amount of fiddling, really late nights and weekends, I finally got this all done a week ago, just in time for an early Halloween party on the 24th. I've hit-up 4 parties over the last week and folks seemed to love it (got a $150 visa gift card from work for winning the costume contest!). So now I finally have time to post some stuff about the build.

I will say that when printing this file, I wish I had paid more attention to how things were laid out. I did end up breaking the frame pieces down differently (as did AGFRX7), but there were some other pieces that in the 3D model were just stuck into one another, so when printed, things had to be cut back apart, etc to get them to fit. Still a great model, I do a lot of modeling and do stuff like that all the time if it's not going to be seen. I was just in a rush and didn't take the time to check that stuff out. So beware of that should you start your own build.

I ended up using an arduino with a couple lines of code to get the blinking LED's in the viewer. They're not totally accurate, but definitely good enough. That runs to a 6-AA battery pack that has so far run for at least 16 hours worth of parties.

I was able to use the superkrates upper shell, the lower one however was just too small compared to the scale of the model and lacked the support and inner shell, so I just printed the lower shell, and then fiberglassed the inside for strength. I also added some small black support pieces to the sides in between where the lower frame sits and the bottom shell as otherwise there is very little of the model that actually makes contact with that shell and there's a lot of weight and flex stress on it.

The outside shell was done with an airbrush as well as most of the pieces with various metallic paints from Amazon, as well as a few rattle cans I had laying around. I painted pretty much all the parts in one night, the shell on another. I was just pressed for time. Realistically a lot more sanding and coats of paint would have made things much cleaner, but from 5 ft it's fine. The smooth-on XTC stuff is a miracle, saves tons of sanding for 3D printed stuff, I'll be using it forever. The viewer screen was just a window decal sheet run through an inkjet printer with a little image I made in photoshop based on ref. I'll include it here.

Some pieces from the model that I did manage to catch beforehand as needing to be remodeled, we're fixed by booleaning out one piece from another in Maya. That helped a lot, I only wish I'd done it more. The only things that seemed off when everything was assembled is a. I think the viewer is a little small, there's almost no way to fit all the LED's one would need (using standard 5mm LEDs) to make a screen accurate viewer front, but I suppose it could fit, I simplified mine for time sake and b. the red gun? laser? on top, that I'm not sure is ever seen doing anything in the film, seems a little small. Again, these are pretty nitpicky things but something someone may want to think about before blindly diving in like I did.

I also made some 3D printed feathers for my wife's stewardess costume. She sewed both of our costumes, it took her about two weekends all said and done. Both lavendar neoprene and black and white striped PVC vinyl is not fun to sew. She did a great job imo and I'm glad she fully supports my brand of crazy.

I have some fabric left from my costume, probably enough to make another whole outfit, I still have the lower shell from superkrates and I'll throw the stewardess wings model up on shapeways or something if anyone ends up wanting some. If anyone wants the fabric or lower shell, let me know.

Now for the pictures:

View attachment 549635 View attachment 549633 View attachment 549632 View attachment 549634 View attachment 549636 View attachment 549637 View attachment 549638 View attachment 549639 View attachment 549640 me.jpg me_and_rachel.jpg viewer_screen.jpg

AGFRX7 and MattgomeryBurns like this.
  47. AGFRX7

AGFRX7 Sr Member

Great job on incorporating the multiple parts. Sounds like you had to mod the parts as I had to, to get them to fit properly.

Jumping in blindly or not, It looks like you're happy with your new toy. Anyone who thinks that the free file is a simple print and assemble build, is sorely wrong.

D3TON8R likes this.
  48. Usdapproved

Usdapproved New Member

Yeah, it takes so much to make things print/assemble smoothly, but hey, free model get's you like 95% of the way there. I'm really happy someone was cool enough to share it. I'm super stoked about the build and really happy with how it turned out, regardless of the stuff I'd like to change if I'd had the time. Looks like a ton of the pictures of the actual build didn't post, second try:

FullSizeRender_1.jpg IMG_2921.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg FullSizeRender_3.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg FullSizeRender_3.jpg IMG_2928.JPG

49. MWiggs

MWiggs Well-Known Member

Aww dang I can't believe I was there and I missed that! I would have loved to have gotten some pictures with it! Hit me up if you plan on making another appearance at FanX in March! Nice work!

50. Superkrates

Superkrates Active Member

Curious - why was the 3D file created by referencing a 5 year-old fan-made replica instead of images from a 'Hero' gun?